Golf Random Irritations

phillarrow

Visit site
Buying some golf balls from Online Golf and finding American Golf on my bank statement. I hadn't realised AG own Online Golf? I bought the balls from Online Golf because they were a couple of quid cheaper than AG. If they are the same company, why do they have different prices?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buying some golf balls from Online Golf and finding American Golf on my bank statement. I hadn't realised AG own Online Golf? I bought the balls from Online Golf because they were a couple of quid cheaper than AG. If they are the same company, why do they have different prices?

I guess because AG have to keep price consistency between online and in store and so may have to charge that bit extra online. Interesting that it appeared on your receipt. Online Golf used to deny any direct connection to AG but it was one of the worst kept secrets that they were the same company (or at least owned by the same people even if they were seen as separate).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I guess because AG have to keep price consistency between online and in store and so may have to charge that bit extra online. Interesting that it appeared on your receipt. Online Golf used to deny any direct connection to AG but it was one of the worst kept secrets that they were the same company (or at least owned by the same people even if they were seen as separate).
Especially as the website mentioned/mentions AG in the Copyright statement on every page!

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Especially as the website mentioned/mentions AG in the Copyright statement on the home page!

This is going back a number of years. I remember calling them to ask a question and the subject came up and it was a total denial that they were anything to do with AG.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

The Honma TW-S & TW-X balls are 6 or 7 quid cheaper online than in store.

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting that it appeared on your receipt. Online Golf used to deny any direct connection to AG but it was one of the worst kept secrets that they were the same company (or at least owned by the same people even if they were seen as separate).

Bizarre! Online Golf isn't even a company. It's just a brand name on a website. The website has always (as far as I'm aware) mentioned AG at the bottom.

Golf Online, on the other hand, is a completely separate company which is nothing to do with AG or OG.

Visit site
This isn’t an irritation, but it felt like a decent place to post and probably not worthy of it’s own thread.

A friend of mine has had 2 of his shafts snap in half (literally) in the last month. He has TaylorMade P790s with Dynamic Gold heavy stiff shafts. I think they’re S300s or similar. 18 months old.

The first one snapped with a (purely struck) approach into the 18th green, I wasn’t there for that one but the shot went on the right line and distance. It was his P Wedge.

Then last week at the driving range, his 9 iron went. Again, the shot was purely struck, dead straight… I witnessed that one. The club head flew 75-80 yards.

Firstly, that is incredibly dangerous. Secondly, has anyone ever heard of snaps just snapping in half? They both snapped in an almost identical place, half way up the shaft. I’ve seen shafts snap by the neck of the club, I think I’ve ever seen a few snap up by (or within) the grip, but this is new to me!!

He is obviously onto TaylorMade via American Golf where he made the purchase. But anyone got any thoughts on how/why that is happening?

I have a sneaky feeling that he is incredibly steep on the ball and is effectively thudding the club into the ground at 100+ mph, without “releasing” the head - creating massive amounts of pressure on the shaft? He’s 6ft 4, which probably doesn’t help… And in terms of yardages, he’s probably 2-3 clubs longer than I am (P Wedge was probably his 140 yard club…)

I’m sure TaylorMade will replace the shafts free of charge, but I can’t help but feel he’s going to see more clubs snapping if none of his mates have the balls to tell him that we think it’s probably not caused by build quality but is in fact probably his own doing!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I had a Mack Daddy wedge shaft snap about halfway up a month or 2 back...shot was good, loo,Ed at the shaft and it was at a right angle...
Was on the verge of replacing it anyway so it wasn't an issue..only time I've had a shaft go.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bizarre! Online Golf isn't even a company. It's just a brand name on a website. The website has always (as far as I'm aware) mentioned AG at the bottom.
I suspect - and it's only a suspicion based on my dodgy ancient memory - that Online Golf was set up by American Golf as a separate internet-only entity back in the late 90s to test/enter the online market. When it did so, it used its own name, while keeping Online going, to maintain/broaden its online presence.
The ultimate holding company is International Leisure Group Ltd, which also owns golf related (clothing) companies in Germany and Portugal. The entire structure is owned via a Fund Management company Endless.

Visit site
People to make a cursory pretence of fixing pitch marks with a tee peg, then mark their ball with it. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Can’t believe how often people (especially early in the round) use a tee as a ball marker and say like “woops my dog ate my coin/left it in the bag/can’t find it”. If a tee is used to mark a ball and it’s anywhere near my line, I have to ask for it to be moved as it’s a literal obstruction…

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's practically impossible to properly repair a pitch mark with a tee peg. Buy a bl**dy pitch repair tool and do it properly.
While a pitch repair tool is significantly faster 2-3 times because it's wider, it's eminently possible to do so with a tee. Just ensure that, in both cases, it's from the outside in and not simply by levering the centre up!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not being able to a find anything that clicked at the range tonight. Depressed. Know what I'm working on post my lesson a few weeks back and when I get it right it goes, and goes a long way....for me. When I get it wrong, a mess. Stupid inconsistent and frustrating game

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My less than successful 10 holes practice yesterday afternoon must have got stuck in my subconscious as I dreamt of practicing my driving. And it was one of these frustration dreams in which no matter where I teed up my ball my backswing was impeded by something, and even when I found somewhere it wasn't, my stance was hopelessly unlevel with ball way above my feet.

Anyway range a priority today.