Golf Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Making a hash of one hole today to cost me a win. Also trying to differentiate what is fairway and what is semi. In all the mud it's hard on some holes to see where the edge of the fairway is but one of my PP's was definitely pushing the limits on what he thought was fairway and so time added to the round going over to decide. Not a major issue today as he only had 20 points and I would like to see the club putting some hashed lines at intervals down the holes on both sides to show where the edges are
The preferred lie rule is for "anywhere in the general area cut to fairway height". You don't have to be on the official fairway. If you can't tell the difference between the semi and fairway, I'd argue that they must be cut to the same height, so you can take a preferred lie.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Not a winning score but shot 33 points in the stableford comp yesterday which would have me in the top 10, but the results has mine as "NS". Card was signed, dated, had comp name, gross scores bar one hole (blob) and handicaps. Wtf?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mud balls. I’ve had some bad banana shots with short irons/wedges due to mud on the ball. I normally hit mid short irons very straight. A little research shows mud on the right the ball will go left and mud on the left the ball goes right. Today I found this to be very true.
We have decided within our group for social golf that if there is mud on the ball in the first cut it can be picked up and cleaned.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The preferred lie rule is for "anywhere in the general area cut to fairway height". You don't have to be on the official fairway. If you can't tell the difference between the semi and fairway, I'd argue that they must be cut to the same height, so you can take a preferred lie.
I'd agree with you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
WHS. Shot 38 points yesterday off the yellows (score diif = 12) and lost and 84 (presumably off the whites as it was May last year after lockdown and score diff of 12.6) and stayed exactly where I am handicap wise. Frustrated as I played really well in windy conditions and straight after a lesson and really worked hard to post a score especially not scoring on 5 and only one pint on 6 and to get no handicap reward has cheesed me off. At least under the old system I would have got cut for being under CSS and had that gone up because of the conditions the cut would have been even higher

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
WHS. Shot 38 points yesterday off the yellows (score diif = 12) and lost and 84 (presumably off the whites as it was May last year after lockdown and score diff of 12.6) and stayed exactly where I am handicap wise. Frustrated as I played really well in windy conditions and straight after a lesson and really worked hard to post a score especially not scoring on 5 and only one pint on 6 and to get no handicap reward has cheesed me off. At least under the old system I would have got cut for being under CSS and had that gone up because of the conditions the cut would have been even higher

If you dropped a 12.6 and added a 12, averaged out over 8 rounds that would be 0.075. Would that not get rounded up to a .1 index cut?

Also a bit annoyed as I shot a 12 under handicap (index) today, but it’s a shorter course so card doesn’t count (as it has been all winter).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you dropped a 12.6 and added a 12, averaged out over 8 rounds that would be 0.075. Would that not get rounded up to a .1 index cut?

Also a bit annoyed as I shot a 12 under handicap (index) today, but it’s a shorter course so card doesn’t count (as it has been all winter).

No idea. Gave up second guessing WHS. Annoyed I played well and no cut

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So what about the dozen scores that are non-counting! How many of them would have been +0.1s?
There's an old Jackson Browne song (The Road) that has some appropriate lines...
'Phone calls long distance
To tell how you've been
You forget about the losses, you exaggerate the wins'

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
So what about the dozen scores that are non-counting! How many of them would have been +0.1s?
There's an old Jackson Browne song (The Road) that has some appropriate lines...
'Phone calls long distance
To tell how you've been
You forget about the losses, you exaggerate the wins'

Don’t remind him of those, as they mean he would have had a bigger cut today

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
No idea what snipe he posted as he's on ignore. Frustrated that I played well in winter conditions and a strong win and did well straight from a lesson for no handicap cut. I don't care about winning but I just want to get as low as I can

I wouldn’t have said there was a dig, just a point about forgetting all the .1’s you may have had leading upto now in the previous system.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don’t remind him of those, as they mean he would have had a bigger cut today
:ROFLMAO:True enough.
But probably from a higher number in the first place (and maybe by a marginal greater amount) so probably little difference. The quote still applies.
@HomerJSimpson There are facilities within WHS that allow you to see what scores are dropping of (both good and bad), so you can anticipate a target score - if you really want to!
Basically it's saying that he posts a (very?) good score about once in every 20 rounds! Btw. I also wonder whether a score from 9 months ago really be affecting/influencing your current handicap!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
People still complaining about how the WHS works - it's been over a year now. If want to be taken seriously about golf, then get with the program.
If you have a good score but are losing a good one from the other end, then there will be no change. It's not rocket science.
More relevant...If losing a good one that is not 'covered' by (a) subsequent good one(s) from the 20 possible, then the effect of the old good one is not justified!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Being unable to balance my bananas! I usually play 3 times per week and have 2 bananas per round. However I should have replenished my stock tomorrow because it was rained off on Saturday and the same today which meant I have 4 left when I should have 0. They are starting to go off. Perhaps as well they are from Aldi!