Golf Random Irritations

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
some people are only happy when they've got something to moan about
Yep, that’s why they’re on this forum, golfers are perceived as perpetually moaning - the condition of the course / greens / tees / bunkers / rough, the handicap system, other players handicaps, tee booking system, roll ups, apps……take your pick!

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep, that’s why they’re on this forum, golfers are perceived as perpetually moaning - the condition of the course / greens / tees / bunkers / rough, the handicap system, other players handicaps, tee booking system, roll ups, apps……take your pick!
Yeh. But apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us? :whistle:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I was explaining this to the boy on Saturday when he asked why nobody looked happy at the golf club.

And as I was explaining to him that most old men play golf as it gives them a perfect opportunity to be grumpy about many things. In walked a pair of miserable old buggers complaining that there was no where to sit (they were offered seats at our table) and the clubhouse was too loud. They went to sit upstairs complaining loudly that they don’t like sitting upstairs.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The reshuffle of hole stroke indexes on our course. Opening 215 yd Par 3 moves from 8 to 12, where as the 546 Par 5 moves from 14 to 6, it’s reachable in 2 for the big hitters ?
Irritating for sure if you’ve become accustomed to them, but presumably they have been changed for good reason and after data analysis to support this.
On the other hand, what does it matter? You only ‘get’ so many shots, so a ‘gain’ by changing one hole will be counteracted by a ‘loss‘ on another, and vice versa.

In my opinion the par 5 in question was certainly tougher than SI 14, the fairway to the left side of the water being bounded by a ditch so the lay up had to be pretty accurate - not that it is assisted by the tall black and white ‘marker’ pole denoting the edge of the water hazard, giving the erroneous impression that ‘that is the line’ when playing blind from a drive of say, 200 yards that hasn’t cleared the ridge. (You can possibly tell that I think it’s the least enjoyable and most out of character hole on the course!).

Last edited:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Irritating for sure if you’ve become accustomed to them, but presumably they have been changed for good reason and after data analysis to support this.
On the other hand, what does it matter? You only ‘get’ so many shots, so a ‘gain’ by changing one hole will be counteracted by a ‘loss‘ on another, and vice versa.

In my opinion the par 5 in question was certainly tougher than SI 14, the fairway to the left side of the water being bounded by a ditch so the lay up had to be pretty accurate - not that it is assisted by the tall black and white ‘marker’ pole denoting the edge of the water hazard, giving the erroneous impression that ‘that is the line’ when playing blind from a drive of say, 200 yards that hasn’t cleared the ridge. (You can possibly tell that I think it’s the least enjoyable and most out of character hole on the course!).
Probably, a while since you played it from your description, I wouldn’t dispute what you say regarding it being out of character. The new layout pushed the green back 20 yds behind the original and removed the awful tree guarding the front left of the green. It has had the fairway widened substantially along the water and the ditch and bushes down the left have gone, so the second shot is much easier and you can be far more aggressive.

Old layout SI was about right, new layout probably 12 was about where I would place it 6 is ridiculous. I get the whole swings and roundabouts argument, but I’d take my shot on 215yd shot into a narrow bunker protected green, every day over 175-130yd (approach for me) into a big wide green.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Aiming to play the midweek medal tomorrow with a mate who does the school run so can't get there before 9.
Not a problem u til I get a text 10 minutes ago from a pupil who has just moved their test to....
Tomorrow at 2.20...so I need to pick her up about 1.15...which leaves little time to get stuck behind any slow play......:rolleyes:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Personally I hated the Velocity no matter what price.

I've bought several boxes of the Honma TW - X balls at under £20 per dozen. They are a 3 piece urethane ball that fly off the driver, spin well and feel (to me) like the Taylormade TP5 ball. They also do an "S" version which I believe is softer, but I haven't tried it.

Tried both the Honma TW-X & TW-S today; absolutely nothing wrong with them at the price, the S seemed very grippy on short pitches, both stopped dead from distance. Well worth a look.

https://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/accessories/balls/honma

Extra 5% off on 2 dozen or more at the moment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit my ball over the green on the 5th today. A guy playing the 6th walks by, picks it up then shouts to us "anyone playing a Bridgestone?" Yeah, me. He throws it back on the ground. Why have you picked it up you moron? I shouldn't complain, probably got me a better lie. :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Making a hash of one hole today to cost me a win. Also trying to differentiate what is fairway and what is semi. In all the mud it's hard on some holes to see where the edge of the fairway is but one of my PP's was definitely pushing the limits on what he thought was fairway and so time added to the round going over to decide. Not a major issue today as he only had 20 points and I would like to see the club putting some hashed lines at intervals down the holes on both sides to show where the edges are

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
People letting their dogs ? on the pitching area, luckily I spotted one in time, and the second my ball landed just past it.

D

Deleted member 15344

courses built on the side of hill so it’s constant wind but set up like a parkland with raised greens - dull long slog on clay

The Bedfordshire

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this should be in here, or just the general irritations, but have managed to burn the tips of three fingers on my right hand and showing signs of blistering.

Not particularly comfortable

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally I hated the Velocity no matter what price.

I've bought several boxes of the Honma TW - X balls at under £20 per dozen. They are a 3 piece urethane ball that fly off the driver, spin well and feel (to me) like the Taylormade TP5 ball. They also do an "S" version which I believe is softer, but I haven't tried it.
I'm with you re the Velocity! My Winter ball was/is the Srixon Distance that doesn't feel like a rock to hit.
Penta/TP5 was one of my favourites. NXT Tour S is the current preference, particularly the Yellow, but as these have been 'superceded' for a while, are getting harder to find.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm with you re the Velocity! My Winter ball was/is the Srixon Distance that doesn't feel like a rock to hit.
Penta/TP5 was one of my favourites. NXT Tour S is the current preference, particularly the Yellow, but as these have been 'superceded' for a while, are getting harder to find.

I may be wrong and only going on what I have been told but isn't the Pinnacle Soft the NXT under a different name. I still have a carrier bag full of NXT which I use in the winter. Out of interest would you not consider the AD333 against the Distance?

Boomy

Visit site

You’re saying the Srixon Distance doesn’t feel like a rock? ?

Jason.H

Visit site
Mud balls. I’ve had some bad banana shots with short irons/wedges due to mud on the ball. I normally hit mid short irons very straight. A little research shows mud on the right the ball will go left and mud on the left the ball goes right. Today I found this to be very true.