Golf Random Irritations

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
That's a great photo ! Long way to travel for me and my camera in the hope of a similar shot ?
Ta - Took six hours out on that beach that day (same on the day before with other pics but none as good as this) before the dolphins arrived - and it was pouring rain when I took this - so i suppose a bit like a medal round in Surrey but using much more expensive gear.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does Radar actually know anything about Golf..?
He seems to be constantly...well, wrong..
I've lost count of how many times he says something like "anything within 15 feet would be a miracle here" and then they put it to 4. It's like he doesn't realise how good they are.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ta - Took six hours out on that beach that day (same on the day before with other pics but none as good as this) before the dolphins arrived - and it was pouring rain when I took this - so i suppose a bit like a medal round in Surrey but using much more expensive gear.
F3C54B00-A8FB-4A0F-982B-D5FAA35A1F12.jpg

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Great photo of the dolphins takes a lot of luck and patience ? This is one of killer whale I took of a video when we were out fishing.

I'd love to photograph killer whales, but the missus won't get on a boat after spending three hours with severe seasickness on a fishing trip off the Florida Keys a few years back. Just started watching Simon King's programme filming wildlife in Shetland and thinking how good it would be to go back there with cameras (we had a couple of week long trips up there when my brother in law lived in Lerwick).

To make this post golf related I played Dornoch on the way up on one of those trips, played really well - and then got beaten up by the wind every day at Shetland Golf Club outside Lerwick, can't remember how much it cost for a week's ticket but it was pennies.

God that's a long time ago - we came out of the pub one night and Lerwick harbour had a good few Russians standing there, soaking wet with blankets draped round them and pretty much every policeman on the island in attendance - it was the night Gorbachev was arrested and the crews were jumping off the factory ships and swimming ashore - just googled it - August 1991

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd love to photograph killer whales, but the missus won't get on a boat after spending three hours with severe seasickness on a fishing trip off the Florida Keys a few years back. Just started watching Simon King's programme filming wildlife in Shetland and thinking how good it would be to go back there with cameras (we had a couple of week long trips up there when my brother in law lived in Lerwick).

To make this post golf related I played Dornoch on the way up on one of those trips, played really well - and then got beaten up by the wind every day at Shetland Golf Club outside Lerwick, can't remember how much it cost for a week's ticket but it was pennies.

God that's a long time ago - we came out of the pub one night and Lerwick harbour had a good few Russians standing there, soaking wet with blankets draped round them and pretty much every policeman on the island in attendance - it was the night Gorbachev was arrested and the crews were jumping off the factory ships and swimming ashore - just googled it - August 1991
they get quite a few at the mouth ot the Moray firth, WDCS reg do trips out whale watching from Spey Bay, also seen them just off Stromness Golf club, hunting seals that were sitting on the beach below the course

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have been told we can now only play twice a week, due to the abuse of the tee sheet due to some not sticking to the 3 bookings a week. tee sheet rammed every day, yet turn up on the tee and hardly a soul on the course, many booking times everyday them not using them anyway and not turning up or cancel the last min.
club had had to put the starter back on the first tee to monitor and staff cecking the sheets everyday and checking who's booking,

i suppose we should be greatful we are allowed to play at all, but a pain that some have spoilt it for the majority again

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Golf companies not changing the name of a product when the new version of that product is completely different to the one it replaces.
Why do Titleist/Callaway/TM et al change the name of their club ranges but not their ball ranges?
Titleist in particular...since 2010 they've had the 910, 913, 915, 917, TS and now TSi ranges of woods.
And in all that time they've had the same number of revisions of the ProV1 but its still called the ProV1 and has been for 20 years..why?
Why have there been 8 ( I think) variants of the AD333?
Chromesoft, Zstar, TP5 and probably more....if the product is different, like the clubs, then change the name.
The new Titleist balls should be called ProV21...would anyone not play them because of a name change?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf companies not changing the name of a product when the new version of that product is completely different to the one it replaces.
Why do Titleist/Callaway/TM et al change the name of their club ranges but not their ball ranges?
Titleist in particular...since 2010 they've had the 910, 913, 915, 917, TS and now TSi ranges of woods.
And in all that time they've had the same number of revisions of the ProV1 but its still called the ProV1 and has been for 20 years..why?
Chromesoft, Zstar, TP5 and probably more....if the product is different, like the clubs, then change the name.
The new Titleist balls should be called ProV21...would anyone not play them because of a name change?
I guess the changes to the golf ball are not as significant? Funnily enough a lot of the Titleist range changes frequently, like TruSoft/TruFeel, NXT/whatever that became, AVX and TourSoft coming in... but I guess with the ProV1 being market leader for God knows how many years they don't want to jeopardise that by changing the name. People will stick with the ball no matter what changes they make.

Imurg

Visit site
I guess the changes to the golf ball are not as significant? Funnily enough a lot of the Titleist range changes frequently, like TruSoft/TruFeel, NXT/whatever that became, AVX and TourSoft coming in... but I guess with the ProV1 being market leader for God knows how many years they don't want to jeopardise that by changing the name. People will stick with the ball no matter what changes they make.
As I've mentioned before, if a change is so minimal as to not require a change of name, is that change worthwhile? Why do it?
Applies to clubs and balls..and anything else for that matter.

sunshine

Visit site

Why does VW keep bringing out new versions of the Golf?

Pro V1 is the gold standard. Totally dominant in its market. There's a very good reason Titleist want to retain the product / name. At the same time, they need to keep tweaking it to ensure it remains a leading product.

Imurg

Visit site
Why does VW keep bringing out new versions of the Golf?

Pro V1 is the gold standard. Totally dominant in its market. There's a very good reason Titleist want to retain the product / name. At the same time, they need to keep tweaking it to ensure it remains a leading product.
The point is that they change club names but rarely ball names. Yet every 2 years we get a new and improved ProV1 - so its not a ProV1 anymore.
What about Chromesoft, Zstar, AD333....?
AD333 is like Trigger's broom...no wonder it's the best selling 2 piece ball - they've been selling a different ball every couple of years under the same name.
The only thing the newest ball has in common with the oldest ball is that it's a 2 piece.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The point is that they change club names but rarely ball names. Yet every 2 years we get a new and improved ProV1 - so its not a ProV1 anymore.
AD333 is like Trigger's broom...no wonder it's the best selling 2 piece ball - they've been selling a different ball every couple of years under the same name.
The only thing the newest ball has in common with the oldest ball is that it's a 2 piece.

It's familiar to people. They don't have to remember the new name. It's easy for the suppliers, distributors, retail, as it's already on the computer system, and gets re-ordered automatically. Loads of reasons. They sell way more golf balls than clubs, so keep it simple.
Also, if anyone ordered some, and got last years, or ordered last years, and got this years, who would really notice?

sunshine

Visit site
It's familiar to people. They don't have to remember the new name. It's easy for the suppliers, distributors, retail, as it's already on the computer system, and gets re-ordered automatically. Loads of reasons. They sell way more golf balls than clubs, so keep it simple.
Also, if anyone ordered some, and got last years, or ordered last years, and got this years, who would really notice?

Apparently some people believe they can tell the difference every year....:ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does make me laugh with the AD333 to be fair - I believe the name refers to the fact it had 333 dimples? Now it has 338 dimples though, so the rubbish wordy name they gave it doesn't even mean anything now either. :LOL: (I might be wrong about that being where 333 came from, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.)

sunshine

Visit site
It does make me laugh with the AD333 to be fair - I believe the name refers to the fact it had 333 dimples? Now it has 338 dimples though, so the rubbish wordy name they gave it doesn't even mean anything now either. :LOL: (I might be wrong about that being where 333 came from, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.)
:ROFLMAO: i always thought it was about the number of dimples too.

But there aren't 7 oaks in Sevenoaks either.