Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The way the Bryson narrative shifts wildly from week to week. When he wins the US Open - "his distance is ruining golf, we need to change the ball/clubs/courses now before it's late!" When he plays rubbish at the Masters - "silly Bryson, everyone knows that you can't just overpower a top course like Augusta." So which one is it?? It can't be both!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The way the Bryson narrative shifts wildly from week to week. When he wins the US Open - "his distance is ruining golf, we need to change the ball/clubs/courses now before it's late!" When he plays rubbish at the Masters - "silly Bryson, everyone knows that you can't just overpower a top course like Augusta." So which one is it?? It can't be both!
I'm not sure the courses were comparable to make that judgement.
On course set up generally, Ewan Murray made some interesting observations in discussion with Butch Harmon, on the Thursday I think.
He said that a lot of the PGA courses are set up in a similar manner, leading to drive and pitch shows week in, week out, with greens surrounded by grass long enough to prevent the ball going more than a few yards if the a shot misses the green or runs off.
His suggestion that the grass around the greens be cut short, thereby creating run off areas (as they do at Augusta) would present a different test and add some interest, was quite sensible in my opinion.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not sure the courses were comparable to make that judgement.
On course set up generally, Ewan Murray made some interesting observations in discussion with Butch Harmon, on the Thursday I think.
He said that a lot of the PGA courses are set up in a similar manner, leading to drive and pitch shows week in, week out, with greens surrounded by grass long enough to prevent the ball going more than a few yards if the a shot misses the green or runs off.
His suggestion that the grass around the greens be cut short, thereby creating run off areas (as they do at Augusta) would present a different test and add some interest, was quite sensible in my opinion.
While I agree somewhat with this (certainly the style of many PGA courses favours a certain style of play), the real difference at Augusta isn't simply that there are runoffs, but the danger those runoffs create, typically by water if short or by a virtually impossible chip if long to a back pin! DJ played a brilliant tournament, rarely (if ever?) having to 'recover' from such positions. And his putting was superb!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday for the first time in about six weeks, not even practiced or hit a ball before starting. Registered for a supplementary and off we went. Level par after 11 holes, then threw 5 shots away on the last 7 holes.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK OK OK...

I take it all back.... ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

I've never really understood criticism of the coverage, the commentators, or the presenters... But Zane Scotland is absolutely hopeless in the studio ?

Simon Holmes looks like he's waiting for his next breast feed, Incey Mehmet is excellent, but this guy is absolutely terrible... Rob Lee just had to save him from stumbling over his words and told him to just hit a chip.

But he works for the narrative......

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My driver swing. Club and ball speed and both more than good eniugh for me. But that carry really doesn't look right!

View attachment 33865
That spin rate is way too high. No, strike that - it's difficult to understand how it's possible to get that much spin with a driver. You must have a massive positive angle of attack. I thought my driver spin of over 3000 was a big problem, but yours is in a different league entirely.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That spin rate is way too high. No, strike that - it's difficult to understand how it's possible to get that much spin with a driver. You must have a massive positive angle of attack. I thought my driver spin of over 3000 was a big problem, but yours is in a different league entirely.
I know.

I've always felt I swung the club fast enough, not stupid fast but the driver has always been shorter than I felt it Should be compared to irons.

At least now having had a few sessions with the mivo I can see that the issue is more spin than anything else.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My driver swing. Club and ball speed and both more than good eniugh for me. But that carry really doesn't look right!

View attachment 33865

I had a lesson on Friday and my driver swing speed is pretty identical to yours. My carry was around 240 and when i leant into it and got it a little above 100mph I was 255/260.

How did you feel you hit it? Get that spin down and smash upto 1.48/150 and you'll be getting it out there.

The spin could be you hitting it too much on the down or maybe the driver shaft.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It felt OK tbh.

Made the mistake of watching youtube last night. So gonna give it another try later and see if anythings changed.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played the comp today

27 points. Not amazing but it was tough out there. That was 2nd best in the group (28 best)

The irritation was losing my head cover my daughter got me on the 5th

And my game golf looks dead that's 2 rounds now it's not got all way through back 9

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It felt OK tbh.

Made the mistake of watching youtube last night. So gonna give it another try later and see if anythings changed.

How did you get on? You need to find a way to get that spin rate down whether that's a different model, maybe a specifc LS version (will be some on the 2nd hand market), different shaft or more work with the pro to get the spin down through a better swing

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How did you get on? You need to find a way to get that spin rate down whether that's a different model, maybe a specifc LS version (will be some on the 2nd hand market), different shaft or more work with the pro to get the spin down through a better swing
Terribly lol.

Went out for a quick 18.first for drivers were topped. So decided to just swing as I woukd and keep it in play.

Not off til Monday. When I'll have a range sessikn and try a few things. If not. Ill see when I can get a lesson on trackman sorted.

D

Deleted member 3432

Will need more than a LS version, those are 6 iron spin numbers.

Unlikely to be hitting up on it.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
the golf shop near me being closed due to Covid and I need to get my 2 iron reshafted. I guess it means a trip to Silvermere where i run the risk of the Left Handed golf shop and the main golf shop forcing me to part with some money.