Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At my place it seems from recent results that more than might be expected 20+ handicappers seem to be less keen on playing medals and other strokeplay qualifying comps, than they are on playing matchplay comps.

Last Sundays July Sunday medal saw 108 entries…with 7 having handicaps of >20. Our Thursday rollup used to have about 60 playing in it, mostly it has to be said higher handicappers. It’s now a stableford qualifier. Yesterdays saw 22 playing with 9 having handicaps of >20…hmmm 🤔

Think I’ll ask our golf manager if the stats are consistent with how it was back then, and if he knows why they are as they are today (he is a little bit of a stats geek in respect of the comps).

Maybe we are a club of keen and half decent golfers and we don’t actually have that many members in the 20+ category - after all we ‘only’ have 384 full gentlemen members. I’m guessing that that might actually be quite a small full gents membership.

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not an outright ban, just that knee length socks required, which for me is almost the same as a ban.
I noted with some amusement that many golf clubs have a dress code that states ankle socks must be white, but knee length socks can be any colour.
And what's more they don't explicitly state that those knee length socks have to match.
So presumably wearing one bright pick knee length sock and another that has blue and yellow stripes would be ok 🤔

D-S

Visit site
Personally I am relaxed about dress codes, so I wouldn’t ban knee length socks with shorts although I do think they look ridiculous - however I would reserve the right to think those that wear them are probably plonkers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I noted with some amusement that many golf clubs have a dress code that states ankle socks must be white, but knee length socks can be any colour.
And what's more they don't explicitly state that those knee length socks have to match.
So presumably wearing one bright pick knee length sock and another that has blue and yellow stripes would be ok 🤔
I played at a very well to do club near Leeds, 😉, that vociferously objected to trainer socks, allowed ankle socks but prefers you to wear knee length socks with shorts. During one particular heat wave I saw 2 old guys wearing their hooped woollen rugby socks from who knows when, 60's-70's. It was comical. They looked ridiculous, must have been sweating away in them as well. Obviously looked better than evil trainer socks though 🤣

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Weather forecast 1 - 27mm of torrential rain
Weather forecast 2 - thunderstorm warning, 90% chance of rain
Weather forecast 3 - warm, cloudy, no rain
🤔🤔

Tomorrow morning, so short term forecasts

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If that isn't an advert to signal the end of knee length socks then I don't think we'll ever get rid of them...
How did anyone ever think this was a good look..

Australians. That's how😁

I wonder how many uk courses "actually" insist on long socks with shorts? Blackwell, RSG, Deal, Rye?

If you can't put up with long trousers to go and play those, you're missing out. I find that irritating 😉

Reactions: D-S

D-S

Visit site
Australians. That's how😁

I wonder how many uk courses "actually" insist on long socks with shorts? Blackwell, RSG, Deal, Rye?

If you can't put up with long trousers to go and play those, you're missing out. I find that irritating 😉
I’ve played Rye and RSG many times, thankfully not in hot weather (not overly keen on spending a lot of the day playing 36 changing clothes all the time but hey ho) - Blackwell in July is a Random Irritation.

D

Deleted member 23344

Weather forecast 1 - 27mm of torrential rain
Weather forecast 2 - thunderstorm warning, 90% chance of rain
Weather forecast 3 - warm, cloudy, no rain
🤔🤔

Tomorrow morning, so short term forecasts
Two of us were due to travel a fair distance on Tuesday to play with a friend at his club. Two forecasts we checked (including the BBC) were terrible, so we postponed. In the end, our friend said that there was no rain whatsoever on the day and he cut his lawn. 😡

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Two of us were due to travel a fair distance on Tuesday to play with a friend at his club. Two forecasts we checked (including the BBC) were terrible, so we postponed. In the end, our friend said that there was no rain whatsoever on the day and he cut his lawn. 😡
Ouch. Well I went ahead and booked in last night. Had maybe 3 holes of rain, mostly drizzly with it just becoming heavy for one hole, okay really - no storm.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
36 holes yesterday and feet hurt, my arms and legs feel as if they don't belong to me and I don't feel like doing much at all.
All the golf gear is still in the boot of the car. Dealing with that will be my one task of the day.
Next game is Thursday - The Veteran's Cup.
Got myself cut yesterday, so will have to play off 4 in that.
Shoot level par - get 40 points - finish in 4th or 5th place - what fun awaits!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My clubs constant pushing back of the whs rating

Yet they fail to understand why our slope is low (we are equally punishing for low and high handicappers)

So they got them to re rate the course

Yep it's now lowered aha idiots

I now get 1 less shot than my handicap off the whites and one more than my handicap off the yellows lol ..so the harder tees I get a less shot (was other way round)

The blacks didn't change much

But still

Clueless

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My clubs constant pushing back of the whs rating

Yet they fail to understand why our slope is low (we are equally punishing for low and high handicappers)

So they got them to re rate the course

Yep it's now lowered aha idiots

I now get 1 less shot than my handicap off the whites and one more than my handicap off the yellows lol ..so the harder tees I get a less shot (was other way round)

The blacks didn't change much

But still

Clueless
My course also has ratings that I believe are too low. They seem to equate short with easy, irrespective of how challenging our greens are. Although getting more shots off the yellows than the whites is particularly baffling. There has to be an error there surely? If you were putting a card in there would now be zero incentive at all to do that off the white tees.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If you were putting a card in there would now be zero incentive at all to do that off the white tees.

Unless, of course, all your competitions are off the white tees and you want your handicap to reflect your current playing ability from those tees.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless, of course, all your competitions are off the white tees and you want your handicap to reflect your current playing ability from those tees.
If you're in a comp you have no choice, but outside of that, surely the incentive to put a card in is to get cut, and you're much more likely to get that off the yellows, so you'd just play the yellows every time.