Golf Random Irritations

Teebs

Visit site
Heavily worn range balls - Yes I'm looking at you Leeds Golf Centre.

Absolutely no excuse apart from laziness

Teebs

Visit site
Any American forum (I'm looking at you GolfWRX) where someone uses the phrase "money". For example

That club is money.

GolfWRX is a great site, but my word, some of the people on there are seriously intense.

sunshine

Visit site
Any American forum (I'm looking at you GolfWRX) where someone uses the phrase "money". For example

That club is money.

GolfWRX is a great site, but my word, some of the people on there are seriously intense.

Only looked on WRX a couple of times. I got the impression that the posters were playing golf at the standard of multiple major winners. Either that or complete fantasists :)

Teebs

Visit site
Only looked on WRX a couple of times. I got the impression that the posters were playing golf at the standard of multiple major winners. Either that or complete fantasists :)

For equipment information, data, reviews etc it's second-to-none really. Golf really is a different game in the US, much more elitist, hell of a lot more expensive (their fees for pretty average country clubs are ridiculous). We are exceptionally fortunate in the UK for the courses we have, relative costs and accessibility overall..

sunshine

Visit site
For equipment information, data, reviews etc it's second-to-none really. Golf really is a different game in the US, much more elitist, hell of a lot more expensive (their fees for pretty average country clubs are ridiculous). We are exceptionally fortunate in the UK for the courses we have, relative costs and accessibility overall..

I don't know much (anything) about golf in the US, but when you look at the high costs you need to factor in the higher salaries / disposable income in the US. As an illustration I remember chatting to a primary school teacher a few years ago and she was on $100k.

Teebs

Visit site
I don't know much (anything) about golf in the US, but when you look at the high costs you need to factor in the higher salaries / disposable income in the US. As an illustration I remember chatting to a primary school teacher a few years ago and she was on $100k.

Blimey!

D-S

Visit site
When talking to Americans about the cost of membership in the UK there first reaction to the cost is that it seems to be really good value, then when you explain to them that the price you quoted was annual and not monthly the reaction changes to near disbelief.

D

Deleted member 31467

I've played a lot of golf in the States. Yes the private clubs can be ridiculous but the quality and value of public courses is way ahead of this country. I've played courses for 50-75 dollars Inc cart which are much better than £100 courses over here.

Mandofred

Visit site
All depends on where you live/work. Plenty of areas of the US you would be lucky to get half of that. Built up/city areas where costs are higher usually pay quite a bit more.

Teebs

Visit site
I've played a lot of golf in the States. Yes the private clubs can be ridiculous but the quality and value of public courses is way ahead of this country. I've played courses for 50-75 dollars Inc cart which are much better than £100 courses over here.

I played Myopia Hunt Club in Mass when I lived there (the people I stayed with were members). Ex US Open venue. It was utterly deserted everytime I was there, more staff that Golfers but I think membership was exceptionally expensive..

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
+1
I've only played in Florida, and the public courses there are very good value. $60 for two of us including a buggy was not uncommon.
OK, there were a few with greens that were not really that great, but for holiday golf it's fine.
(Of course you want to play the "posh" courses you'll pay through the nose).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just checking my old lists...

A pairs open, 36 holes over two days, on two courses we'd played in 2020 for £100 per person, is £140 this year. It'll still sell out.

All opens seem to have jumped considerably in price over the last couple of years, but as you say they'll all sell out quickly.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site

That club is money.

In a similar vein, watching any Rick Shiels course blog video and his producer must say "money" or "golf shot" everytime Rick hits a decent shot (so probably at least once every other hole) - I've stopped listening to the podcast as I find him quite annoying (I don't mind Rick)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a similar vein, watching any Rick Shiels course blog video and his producer must say "money" or "golf shot" everytime Rick hits a decent shot (so probably at least once every other hole) - I've stopped listening to the podcast as I find him quite annoying (I don't mind Rick)
Yeah I find Guy quite annoying as well. Bit of a sycophantic weasel.