Golf Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Based on the one time I tried using a mate's laser, the thing I'm sure about them is that I can't hold the damn thing steady enough to accurately zap anything.

Fortunately I'm a bad enough player that knowing an exact yardage is pointless in any case. From 150 out, if I can get it anywhere on the green that'll do nicely.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Golfers who, even though they play the same course every week at least once and have done so for years, still laser the par 3s every time even though you can see whether the flag is front middle or back, when the teeing ground is only 7 or 8 yards deep.

Yep. Agreed. My regular pairs partner is just the same. We reach a par 3, can clearly see the pin is in the middle and, as club members for 20+ years, we both know the yardage and the club.

But his counter argument, as a 1 handicap, is that it is more about his pre-shot routine being the same than about knowing the yardage. I suppose there is some merit in that, but I still take the rise out of him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hitting a great drive and it landing in a puddle and going nowhere near where it should have gone and then having to spend ages looking for a spot not in casual water. Fortunately only 1 fairway affected but shouldn't have been in play. As it was the 15th there was an argument to have shut it and play 14 and go up 18 but never mind

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Head came flying off the PW yesterday on par 3 tee shot
2nd time its happened for this club and it wasn't cheap to repair last time

It is an easy D.I.Y. repair* but it sounds like the hosel on the head has become enlarged** or it was not properly cleaned before refitting last time and the epoxy has failed.

* Depends a little on what tools you have ( I have a Dremmel type drill which takes sanding bits) Just thoroughly clean out the hosel to remove all old epoxy in the head being careful not to remove any head weights in the hosel. Like wise clean the shaft (query has the chrome been removed) . Glue together with two part epoxy resin such as araldite.

**The shaft should fit in to the head with a fairly tight fit unglued if a loose fit it will need to be shimmed.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It is an easy D.I.Y. repair* but it sounds like the hosel on the head has become enlarged** or it was not properly cleaned before refitting last time and the epoxy has failed.

* Depends a little on what tools you have ( I have a Dremmel type drill which takes sanding bits) Just thoroughly clean out the hosel to remove all old epoxy in the head being careful not to remove any head weights in the hosel. Like wise clean the shaft (query has the chrome been removed) . Glue together with two part epoxy resin such as araldite.

**The shaft should fit in to the head with a fairly tight fit unglued if a loose fit it will need to be shimmed.

Cracking advice

On closer inspection the shaft isn't corroded or broken nor is the club head damaged so it looks like the joining has failed, the ferrule is broken too

I don't have the tools so I'll pop it into the shop that fitted the shaft last time, for repair and hope they do a more permanent job this time round
?

Edit, its a bit like when a family member is ill and you can't help them feel better :cry:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The winter works at our club.

Filling in a greenside bunker on the second, smoothing off a drop off on the back of the 15th green and cutting a lot of the gorse right back.

The committee seem intent on making an already easy course even easier.

Billysboots

Visit site
The winter works at our club.

Filling in a greenside bunker on the second, smoothing off a drop off on the back of the 15th green and cutting a lot of the gorse right back.

The committee seem intent on making an already easy course even easier.

It’s frustrating but I suppose they’ll probably argue that they want it to be a fair test for all?

I remember as a junior being a member at The Leicestershire when we lived near there. The 9th was a testing long par 4 dogleg, with three deep fairway bunkers about 30-40 yards short of the green. After years of complaining a minority of the seniors got their way, with the tops taken off the bunkers so that they were flattened considerably. That immediately removed the challenge, completely changed the nature of the hole and upset the majority of the membership.

Clubs have to get the balance right between being fair to the majority and making a course too easy. It’s not always straightforward, I’m sure, but too often they get it wrong.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
It’s frustrating but I suppose they’ll probably argue that they want it to be a fair test for all?

I remember as a junior being a member at The Leicestershire when we lived near there. The 9th was a testing long par 4 dogleg, with three deep fairway bunkers about 30-40 yards short of the green. After years of complaining a minority of the seniors got their way, with the tops taken off the bunkers so that they were flattened considerably. That immediately removed the challenge, completely changed the nature of the hole and upset the majority of the membership.

Clubs have to get the balance right between being fair to the majority and making a course too easy. It’s not always straightforward, I’m sure, but too often they get it wrong.

It does seem as though its the vocal minority that seem to get their way at our place. I do think that the demographic of the club has changed over the past couple of years but the lag between that and representation on the committee may take a few years more.

One of things I think would actually make our place fairer across the board would be some well placed bunkers to punish the bigger hitters or force them to layup (its pretty short so is a drive and a wedge for the majority of the par 4s if you're driving it 240 plus), but alas they have slowly been reducing the number over the years.

Billysboots

Visit site
It does seem as though its the vocal minority that seem to get their way at our place. I do think that the demographic of the club has changed over the past couple of years but the lag between that and representation on the committee may take a few years more.

One of things I think would actually make our place fairer across the board would be some well placed bunkers to punish the bigger hitters or force them to layup (its pretty short so is a drive and a wedge for the majority of the par 4s if you're driving it 240 plus), but alas they have slowly been reducing the number over the years.

We’re very similar. Our 14th has a small lake in front of the tee, with bushes/trees to the left of it. But the tees are all raised, meaning it’s a relatively straightforward carry, even from the back blocks.

From the ladies tee the carry is no more than 50 yards. But a minority of them have kicked up a real stink about the bushes/trees, which they want removed, citing the difficulty they have in carrying them. I would add that there is a route from the tee to the left of the hazard, but it lengthens the hole, and not carrying the hazard requires a top, duff or thin strike. So far the club is resisting the calls for change, but it’s all starting to turn a bit nasty.

I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, but if someone can’t carry the ball 50 yards then, rather than demanding the course is made easier, might it not be time to either invest in some lessons, plot a different route from the tee, or maybe consider whether golf is for you?

I’m all for the course being fair for everyone, but that doesn’t necessarily mean making it easy for your weakest players, be they juniors, seniors, ladies or simply occasional golfers. That’s just a bit silly.

sjw

Visit site
Went to the rage yesterday, first time I've hit a ball in about 3 weeks. Welp, everything that seemed to have clicked before xmas was totally gone! I'd found a swing that worked and felt natural, and now I can't remember what the swing thoughts and feels were :(

sunshine

Visit site
Went to the rage yesterday, first time I've hit a ball in about 3 weeks. Welp, everything that seemed to have clicked before xmas was totally gone! I'd found a swing that worked and felt natural, and now I can't remember what the swing thoughts and feels were :(

Is that why you call it golf rage and not range? ;)

I feel your pain. Been there so many times :cry:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Course open when there was silly amounts of standing water yesterday that made finding a "nearest point of relief" a challenge and doing the holes no favours having a new year comp on it. Should have played the comp and with the overnight rain been shut today and rest of the week

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I need some new short tees soon. Was thinking I should maybe look for bamboo ones this time - but the only place I can find bamboo ones in the size I want, has them at £6 for 30 tees. When the plastic version is £1 for 40. I don't think I'm interested enough in sustainable tees to pay over 6 times as much. :LOL:

Does anyone know of someone selling bamboo tees of the short variety (37-38mm) for a reasonable fee?? And not the castle ones, I'm on about regular short ones. Like these.

Baldy Bouncer

Blackballed
Visit site
I need some new short tees soon. Was thinking I should maybe look for bamboo ones this time - but the only place I can find bamboo ones in the size I want, has them at £6 for 30 tees. When the plastic version is £1 for 40. I don't think I'm interested enough in sustainable tees to pay over 6 times as much. :LOL:

Does anyone know of someone selling bamboo tees of the short variety (37-38mm) for a reasonable fee?? And not the castle ones, I'm on about regular short ones. Like these.

Have you tried Etsy?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I’ve never bought tees that short as there are usually hundreds of broken tees that length lying around, or I just use a longer one.

I’ve bought all my bamboo tees from green tees, but they seem to have disappeared. I did see a clothing seller on FB had an offer on tees.
If not, 2 minutes on google should give you plenty of options.

Plastic tees are the work of the devil. ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I'm lucky the course supplies those sized bamboo tees free (well I guess its really hidden in the green fee anyway)

If you don't find any then try decathlon for a real short plastic one like this, don't need to penetrate the ground very much at all
9145347a918f6d046f7a1962586ca2fd_500x.jpg

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Head came flying off the PW yesterday on par 3 tee shot
2nd time its happened for this club and it wasn't cheap to repair last time

Got my PW head reaffixed, no charge

Apparently when the new shaft was fitted some months back the chrome plating wasn't sanded off the portion of the shaft that sits inside the clubhead and consequently the 'glue' didn't adhere properly

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

The answer would surely have been to suggest to the moaning seniors to either lay up from said bunkers or to learn how to hit the ball over them. The pro could assist with the latter