Golf Random Irritations

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My club and the weather.
At 8am this morning the club still hadn't updated the course status if it was open or not and the forcaste was for 90% until lunchtime. chance of rain achange from last night that only showed 20%.
So didn't bother driving over.
Then 2 mins after the roll up tee time, posted the course is open..
It's stopped raining and has been sunny since?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golfbidder.
Sometimes they state in the description of the club that it's +1/2 inch or +1/4 inch etc etc....
Sometimes they don't
I bought a wedge from them just before the snow and ice came and shut the courses.
Club arrived on the afternoon of the 5th and I haven't played since until this morning - hadn't really looked at it, just made sure it was OK and not falling apart.
Turns out my new (to me) 58° lob wedge is the same length as my 9 iron....:rolleyes:
It's the sort of thing that should be looked at before being advertised for sale and I've emailed them to tell them as such..
Whether they'll take it back or not I'm not sure ....either way, it's not a tricky adjustment and I'm not anhuge fan of the grip that it came with..
But irritating nonetheless.

Sounds great :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whenever you have a yardage that you don't have a confident shot for, it's amazing how many times you accidentally leave yourself that distance. For me it's 80-85 and today it happened three times. ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
How embarrassing

did it have a similar name?
It's only the other side of town, Nairn Dunbar. A few of us joined as winter members and usually play in their Saturdays comps I just assumed that's were we were today. Not helped by the pro in the shop who asked who I was playing with, he didn't think to look that the guy who books the time didn't actually have a time today?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Several days ago I booked a New Year's Eve round for me and two mates at Rickmansworth - I did it through the Everyone Active app (since they run the place) and paid up front since you have to to make the booking. Now I've just looked at the weather report and says biblical bloody rain that day. Bugger. ? Not sure whether to try and get money back (has been notoriously difficult to do this before with Everyone Active) or just wing it and hope the rain isn't that bad.

Jason.H

Visit site
Whenever you have a yardage that you don't have a confident shot for, it's amazing how many times you accidentally leave yourself that distance. For me it's 80-85 and today it happened three times. ?

With my wedges I decided to learn to hit a 3 quarter shot as well as full so I have 2 yardages for each wedge. I never get caught out by awkward yardages any more

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With my wedges I decided to learn to hit a 3 quarter shot as well as full so I have 2 yardages for each wedge. I never get caught out by awkward yardages any more
Was always tricky for me because I have a short backswing, so it's almost like my full swing is already the three quarter swing. ? I just have full and half swing for each. So my 80 yard shot ends up being a half swing 9 iron but of course it's a bit harder to control the distance given that it's likely to roll out a fair bit. In summer I'd have the option of full 56° but I don't hit that in winter as it's just asking to chunk it 10 yards.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Decided to come up for a couple of hours practice while the house is taken over by women.. And it's raining
Hopefully it'll pass in next half hour

CountLippe

Visit site
Was always tricky for me because I have a short backswing, so it's almost like my full swing is already the three quarter swing. ? I just have full and half swing for each. So my 80 yard shot ends up being a half swing 9 iron but of course it's a bit harder to control the distance given that it's likely to roll out a fair bit. In summer I'd have the option of full 56° but I don't hit that in winter as it's just asking to chunk it 10 yards.

Hitting different yardages with a wedge is like a life long game of trial and error to find out what works best. So many variables to try out, mainly at set up with a stock backswing! - where you grip the club, width of stance, open or closed stance, ball position, stronger/weaker grip. Then you can try different length / height of the follow through.