Golf Random Irritations

sunshine

Visit site
The seniors who left footprints in pretty much every bunker today. We had an all-day qualifying stableford but most of us had to play in the afternoon because they had block booked the entire morning because "they always play Mondays".
Every bunker was raked perfectly by the greenkeepers first thing - by 4pm they were embarrassing.
So it's not "societies" or "visitors". It's the lazy lack-of-etiquette members.
A-holes the lot of them.

Lockdown proved that it is not societies or visitors with the poor etiquette, just a significant minority of members. It's noticeably worse at my course during the week vs the weekend.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of them apparently got called out for it and tried to claim "I don't want to catch covid from the rake". He had been seen handling the flagstick multiple times, opening the door to the clubhouse and using the score terminal.
It's always the same kind of people - never think it's them.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of them apparently got called out for it and tried to claim "I don't want to catch covid from the rake". He had been seen handling the flagstick multiple times, opening the door to the clubhouse and using the score terminal.
It's always the same kind of people - never think it's them.

He should have been picked up by his playing partners in my opinion. I’ve picked up pp’s before for pitch marks and would have no prob doing the same on rakes

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
People who refuse to use basic communications materials, but then moan when it bites them on the bum!

On Saturday, I had to walk off the course with a dodgy back... bit of treatment on Monday and a visit to range this morning to test it and all ok. There a seniors match tomorrow I am due to play in, so I told the organiser that I would message him on Tuesday morning to update my availability. This I did at 10.30.

Just after 12-00 I get a really snotty call demanding to know why I have not updated him. Well, I said I phoned and left a voice message as you didn't answer, also an email and a Group WhatsApp. I only check those once a week he snorted! Well, that's too bad I said! :) I am not sure I'll be playing a lot of Seniors Golf... they still seem to operate on Notice Boards and Parchment!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People who refuse to use basic communications materials, but then moan when it bites them on the bum!

On Saturday, I had to walk off the course with a dodgy back... bit of treatment on Monday and a visit to range this morning to test it and all ok. There a seniors match tomorrow I am due to play in, so I told the organiser that I would message him on Tuesday morning to update my availability. This I did at 10.30.

Just after 12-00 I get a really snotty call demanding to know why I have not updated him. Well, I said I phoned and left a voice message as you didn't answer, also an email and a Group WhatsApp. I only check those once a week he snorted! Well, that's too bad I said! :) I am not sure I'll be playing a lot of Seniors Golf... they still seem to operate on Notice Boards and Parchment!
Haha.. how was he proposing you should have contacted him? Drive to his home and knock on the door? Take an advert out in the local paper?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

An email and WhatsApp checked once a week ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
RANT ALERT

Played in our "Out of Africa" international day. Team event, with teams of 8 playing better ball stableford. The event was put on by our South African contingent who play once a month and always spend loads on food and drink and are a great bunch of members. They played a blinder and had access along with our chef to the kitchen to provide traditional food an a braai and had assembled prizes to the value of nearly £10,000 including four balls at several top courses and tickets for England rugby and the England v SA test match, some very expensive wines etc

All went great and the course starting to look and play better and the greens not there yet but playing quicker and less bounces after the recent work. The meal was excellent and cooked to perfection so all good. As captain of Botswana I knew my team had amassed a good score. They started handing out the prizes. We got to 5th, 4th, and 3rd and we weren't called. Assumed we were 2nd. No. Surely we hadn't won. Correct. We weren't called at all.

Lots of mutterings and a bit of anger and frustration and as captain it was "down to me" to sort it. Approached the handicap secretary who had done the cards and apparently there may have been a problem and one of the scores not added. Fine but what you going to do? Nothing!!! All the prizes have been handed out so what can we do? The club chairman (on my team) and I approached the SA organiser and explained we knew he merely read out what he was given but he said he'd speak to the handicap secretary who then a full 180 and said she didn't know had happened.

We accept to a point this is a "fun" day and to raise money for charity but we all paid our £25 entry fee to cover the food but also to enter the competition side of the day. If you are offering prizes then there has to be an expectation that you get the results right and although mistakes happen, to then simply wash your hands has left a very sour taste. I wrote to the GM and captain at the behest of the team (despite me suggesting they wouldn't be interested and perhaps it wasn't the most tactful thing to do) but as a group they wanted something in writing. I explained we had a brilliant day and the South African's had been superb and no blame attached but put down our scores so they could be checked and verified.

Our 2022 captain did what he's done so far every time there has been anything contentious and ignored it and hope it goes away and has hidden behind it being a "fun day" and organised through friends of friends. The GM has been more helpful and says he'll look into it and come back. We're not expecting the South Africans to do anything and I expressed they shouldn't be out of pocket in any way. My suggestion would be to simply give the team a credit of say £30-50 a man to equate to the cost of the second place prizes. It's a sign of good faith that an error was made but is also a win, win as the members get the cash on the card but the club gets it back once they spend it over the bar

All a shame and it took the edge off a great day. Note to self, don't enter at the top of the sign up sheet next year and by default become captain. It'll be interesting to see what happens and I know several of the team have now also written in as well as they still aren't happy. I'm fairly ambivalent especially 24 hours later and wasn't keen to email at all.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
RANT ALERT

Played in our "Out of Africa" international day. Team event, with teams of 8 playing better ball stableford. The event was put on by our South African contingent who play once a month and always spend loads on food and drink and are a great bunch of members. They played a blinder and had access along with our chef to the kitchen to provide traditional food an a braai and had assembled prizes to the value of nearly £10,000 including four balls at several top courses and tickets for England rugby and the England v SA test match, some very expensive wines etc

All went great and the course starting to look and play better and the greens not there yet but playing quicker and less bounces after the recent work. The meal was excellent and cooked to perfection so all good. As captain of Botswana I knew my team had amassed a good score. They started handing out the prizes. We got to 5th, 4th, and 3rd and we weren't called. Assumed we were 2nd. No. Surely we hadn't won. Correct. We weren't called at all.

Lots of mutterings and a bit of anger and frustration and as captain it was "down to me" to sort it. Approached the handicap secretary who had done the cards and apparently there may have been a problem and one of the scores not added. Fine but what you going to do? Nothing!!! All the prizes have been handed out so what can we do? The club chairman (on my team) and I approached the SA organiser and explained we knew he merely read out what he was given but he said he'd speak to the handicap secretary who then a full 180 and said she didn't know had happened.

We accept to a point this is a "fun" day and to raise money for charity but we all paid our £25 entry fee to cover the food but also to enter the competition side of the day. If you are offering prizes then there has to be an expectation that you get the results right and although mistakes happen, to then simply wash your hands has left a very sour taste. I wrote to the GM and captain at the behest of the team (despite me suggesting they wouldn't be interested and perhaps it wasn't the most tactful thing to do) but as a group they wanted something in writing. I explained we had a brilliant day and the South African's had been superb and no blame attached but put down our scores so they could be checked and verified.

Our 2022 captain did what he's done so far every time there has been anything contentious and ignored it and hope it goes away and has hidden behind it being a "fun day" and organised through friends of friends. The GM has been more helpful and says he'll look into it and come back. We're not expecting the South Africans to do anything and I expressed they shouldn't be out of pocket in any way. My suggestion would be to simply give the team a credit of say £30-50 a man to equate to the cost of the second place prizes. It's a sign of good faith that an error was made but is also a win, win as the members get the cash on the card but the club gets it back once they spend it over the bar

All a shame and it took the edge off a great day. Note to self, don't enter at the top of the sign up sheet next year and by default become captain. It'll be interesting to see what happens and I know several of the team have now also written in as well as they still aren't happy. I'm fairly ambivalent especially 24 hours later and wasn't keen to email at all.

I can’t believe someone would run a competition and not give out the prizes correctly.

Were any of the prizes a new Vokey wedge?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Poor

These were really good and not cheap including tickets to some stand up comedy shows with dinner, Some very expensive wines, dining out and tickets for the cricket and rugby. Even 7th place got four cans of beer each

Just a bit of banter Martin.

As a charity day, Atleast the positive thing here is they will have received a good donation.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
RANT ALERT

Handicap secretary has dropped a bollock there!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Missing out on a Place in the comp by a shot.....but still scoring well enough to get cut enough to lose a shot next time out..
Kick a Man while he's down eh?:rolleyes: