Golf Random Irritations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Update

The club emailed me and confirmed there had been a huge admin cock-up and apologised. They also offered a number of bottles of wine each as an act of good faith which was a decent thing to do. The consensus amongst the group id they simply want the correct results published in the next news letter so we get the recognition of the second place and that the cost of the wine should go to the Ukranian charity money was being raised for

A shame it happened but it did and of course we couldn't expect anything to the value of the cost of second place prizes on the day but a reasonable outcome. I had suggested the credit to everyones club card which would have been a win-win as the club still get the cash back when the member bought food and drink but the wine was a nice touch

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
After a mess-up round I moaned to my pro/coach how much I was struggling with my new hybrid and that it was getting me into all sorts of problems on the course even though it was starting to work fine for me on the practice ground. His answer? We’ll just don’t take it out for the time being. And so for my planned knock tomorrow it stays in the car. Genius.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
After a mess-up round I moaned to my pro/coach how much I was struggling with my new hybrid and that it was getting me into all sorts of problems on the course even though it was starting to work fine for me on the practice ground. His answer? We’ll just don’t take it out for the time being. And so for my planned knock tomorrow it stays in the car. Genius.

Money well spent then. Poor advice and service imo

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Money well spent then. Poor advice and service imo
I’ll maybe not tell him that…? He’s giving me a free lesson next week (though all my lessons are free ?) and we’ll look to work on sorting it out then as we both know why I do what I do with it…?.

Meanwhile I’ll take his advice as truth is where I tend to use it I can easy take an alternative (though I might think differently after playing tomorrow).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why do you think this is poor service and advice?

Because if I was paying for lessons and had an issue I'd want my pro to be giving me some advice, not just saying don't hit it. Even if the lesson is next week if that club is in my bag I want to know I can use the club if I need to and would want to be able to hit it with a degree of confidence and expectation.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Because if I was paying for lessons and had an issue I'd want my pro to be giving me some advice, not just saying don't hit it. Even if the lesson is next week if that club is in my bag I want to know I can use the club if I need to and would want to be able to hit it with a degree of confidence and expectation.

Ah, was your money well spent comment was because you thought SILH had paid for a lesson then, or the money spent to buy the club?

I think SILH has commented several times that his coach is family and he gets free lessons, as a frequent poster I’m surprised you hadn’t picked this up. I took the coaches comment to mean, put it aside for now and we can look at it when we next have a lesson.

Personally I think if something has stopped working, putting it aside for a round or two and coming back to it can be helpful, it’s often something in the mind that it causing the issue and this little break can reset you, but we are all different.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Missing out on a Place in the comp by a shot.....but still scoring well enough to get cut enough to lose a shot next time out..
Kick a Man while he's down eh?:rolleyes:
Yep, looks like I've joined you ? Slightly feels like a missed opportunity, but then it's time to wheel out the ol' trusty ...
When you meet someone and they find out you play golf, do they ask if you recently placed in a little club comp, or ask what your handicap is? ???

D

Deleted member 23270

Yep, looks like I've joined you ? Slightly feels like a missed opportunity, but then it's time to wheel out the ol' trusty ...
When you meet someone and they find out you play golf, do they ask if you recently placed in a little club comp, or ask what your handicap is? ???
Neither........

Have you had a hole in one? ?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Not at all. Sometimes the best short term advice is to eliminate a part of your game which puts you in trouble.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough Homer. (Just remind us what your HI is now - and what it was 15 year ago when you joined the forum. And how much advice you've bought in between times :):) )

D

Deleted member 15344

Playing in the early rain , shooting 1 under gross and not even in the top 15 ???????

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Texas scramble h/cs , having a 4 h/c playing in a team of 4 and team playing off 10, get a high h/capper in your side then your team will clear up.

I know it’s mainly supposed to be a fun day but starting out and knowing you can’t compete is not my idea of a fun day.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ah, was your money well spent comment was because you thought SILH had paid for a lesson then, or the money spent to buy the club?

I think SILH has commented several times that his coach is family and he gets free lessons, as a frequent poster I’m surprised you hadn’t picked this up. I took the coaches comment to mean, put it aside for now and we can look at it when we next have a lesson.

Personally I think if something has stopped working, putting it aside for a round or two and coming back to it can be helpful, it’s often something in the mind that it causing the issue and this little break can reset you, but we are all different.
Correct. And he has been proved right. So much in the mind. The two rounds I've played with my hybrid left in car (as a temporary frustration-relief measure) I have managed just fine by hitting a 5i instead. And in a lesson with him tomorrow we'll have a look at my setup with the hybrid (as that is almost certainly my issue with it - in that I do not 'trust' my set up)

mister v

Visit site
i cant hit a hybrid out on the course when it matters, its doing my brains in to the point i want to set fire to it. Im booking myself another lesson with a different pro to see what his take is.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can't find one of these (if we've even had one before) and I think it might be useful since golf irritations might get overlooked in the general OOB thread

I'll start with mine from the weekend...

Commentators (rightly) lauding up players when they land the ball several yards past the pin and backspin it to around pin high, then with the next breath/shot saying a player was “unlucky with the backspin there†when the ball lands pin high and spins back several yards. No the backspin wasn’t unlucky, the shot landed too short!

Pat Perez, can’t remember why but he just irritates me (come to think of it Charley Hoffman irritates me too)

4-putting because you were complacent with your tap-in 2nd putt and sent it screaming back down the hill! :cry:

Guys eyeing their shot through a rangefinder, shanking it 30 yards, then going through the same rigmarole all over again.….Have you NO embarrassment man?