Golf Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Do you change your shoes in the car park or use them at the Driving Range? Unfortunately those spikes do not do well on tarmac etc, I found they didn’t last too long if subjected to too much concrete etc.
Indeed, just a slight scuff of the foot on the car park could be enough to do that sort of damage..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you change your shoes in the car park or use them at the Driving Range? Unfortunately those spikes do not do well on tarmac etc, I found they didn’t last too long if subjected to too much concrete etc.
Yes, and no. I always wondered why the shoes in the car park rules existed, turns out they just wanted to look after our shoes all along? :D

Golfnut1957

Visit site
That's because Sketchers use the PINS spike mounting system, which is absolutely not fit for purpose. The spikes are held in by two tiny little plastic "wings" that break off far too easily. I can't fathom how its designers ever thought it made sense.
It probably makes perfect sense. Design a spike which only lasts a few months and needs to be constantly replaced. Manufacture replacement spikes which only last a few months and need to be constantly replaced......kerching.

sunshine

Visit site
Thing is, most often it is you alone who knows what you were looking to achieve and the sort of strike you looking to do to make the ball achieve that objective.

I can hit what looks like an excellent shot, but if it was not what I meant to do or if it came off the 'wrong' part of the clubhead then I should not be happy with the shot. I can accept the outcome and still not be happy with how I achieved it. And that is a very different mindset from how I used to think. But no onlooker is going to know any of that...they just see the outcome.

I understand what you are saying, but I was referring to an obvious poor swing when people say good shot and it sails OOB.

If you were trying to hit a draw down the left and instead it goes straight down the middle, only you know that wasn’t what you were trying to do!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
When your playing partners automatically say "good shot", "nice strike", or "good pick up" (by the way, WTF does that mean?) as soon as you hit the ball on every shot, when actually it was a terrible strike and then you watch it slice into the trees.

My dad is the absolute worst for this :ROFLMAO: always makes his comment before the spin takes over

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure, but it's the ends of the little spikes that are breaking. I think the material just isn't strong enough. (Photo attached.)
Ah, right. Losing the legs off soft spikes is to be expected, although I agee some spikes seem less robust than others.

I was referring to the fact that the PINS system means that the entire spike falls out because the locating mechanism breaks. It's even worse if you have metal spikes (not that it's easy to obtain metal spikes for PINS).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely this?

The one that really irritates me is the “unlucky” when I’ve just blocked one OB off the planet. No it wasn’t unlucky, it was …….
I agree. The commenters always hold everyone by their own standards. So my mate who can't chip will see me fumble one onto the green, 12 feet short of the hole and say "good shot". Well, no, I was hoping to get it a bit nearer than that - just because you're happy with anything that ends up on the green doesn't mean I am. :LOL: I think when someone witnesses a horror shot and says "unlucky" it's just because they feel they have to fill the awkward silence rather than watching open-mouthed as it sails over the boundary.

sunshine

Visit site
I agree. The commenters always hold everyone by their own standards. So my mate who can't chip will see me fumble one onto the green, 12 feet short of the hole and say "good shot". Well, no, I was hoping to get it a bit nearer than that - just because you're happy with anything that ends up on the green doesn't mean I am. :LOL: I think when someone witnesses a horror shot and says "unlucky" it's just because they feel they have to fill the awkward silence rather than watching open-mouthed as it sails over the boundary.

I don't think I would be too irritated if I played with someone worse than me who said good shot because it was good by his standards.

But when I play with someone better than me or the same standard and they say good shot... it's like they think a 200 yard weak slice into the trees is the best I can do. Maybe some people do it on purpose because they like the mind games, might be effective in matchplay :LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

You are on to something here... There must be something acceptable to say - but what!?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was playing in a scratch open once and one of the guys kept saying "good shot" the instant the ball hit the club. The other guy in our three ball was getting pretty fed up with it.
We get to a long par-4 and he launches a drive just towards a big bunker on the edge of the fairway. The immediate "good shot" was followed by "that's unlucky".
He went totally off on one, "there was nothing unlucky about it, it was always heading there, you're just making stupid comments" etc etc.
I was trying to hide my face because it was so funny. The commenter didn't know where to look. But he didn't make another comment the rest of the round.

I left it to the back nine and then quietly said to the exploder, "that's unlucky" when he hit a fairway bunker - he grinned recognising the irony.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not sure, but it's the ends of the little spikes that are breaking. I think the material just isn't strong enough. (Photo attached.) Just annoying - I've tried to contact Skechers to see what they say about it. Worst of all, I just found out my missus bought them through Sports Direct who can be a bit of a pain to deal with.
I'd take them back spikes shouldn't wear out...

??

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Doesn't bother me when people comment on my shots, good, unlucky, crap or whatever.

I just see it as part of golf's camaraderie and let it be, might be because I'm guilty of it myself though.
"Nice shot!..... Oh, I thought you'd hit it better than that" :oops: