Golf Random Irritations

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Based on above, this should probably go on the 'gladden' thread. I hit a couple of 3 woods on Monday (top tracer range), and was impressed with the ball speeds and carry I was seeing. I'd located a used one which was one of the heads in the other shaft and went back to the range tonight just to finalise. Cue me hitting my current club (2017 model) the best I ever have. Just couldn't justify making the change.
Funny ol' game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Titleist have produced another new version of the Velocity and the price has gone up again. I used to like them when they were £20 a box, but how can they justify charging £27-28 for a two-piece distance ball? When there are premium offerings from the likes of Bridgestone and Srixon only costing 30-35. Daft.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Titleist have produced another new version of the Velocity and the price has gone up again. I used to like them when they were £20 a box, but how can they justify charging £27-28 for a two-piece distance ball? When there are premium offerings from the likes of Bridgestone and Srixon only costing 30-35. Daft.

Personally I hated the Velocity no matter what price.

I've bought several boxes of the Honma TW - X balls at under £20 per dozen. They are a 3 piece urethane ball that fly off the driver, spin well and feel (to me) like the Taylormade TP5 ball. They also do an "S" version which I believe is softer, but I haven't tried it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've bought several boxes of the Honma TW - X balls at under £20 per dozen. They are a 3 piece urethane ball that fly off the driver, spin well and feel (to me) like the Taylormade TP5 ball. They also do an "S" version which I believe is softer, but I haven't tried it.
My plan was to try the ChromeSoft when we get to summer, based on the MyGolfSpy report where it looked like a good ball for me. Just seen the new 2022 ChromeSoft has been released at a whopping £45! Sod that. They're still selling the old version at 35 so I might have to grab one of those while I still can.

Boomy

Visit site
My plan was to try the ChromeSoft when we get to summer, based on the MyGolfSpy report where it looked like a good ball for me. Just seen the new 2022 ChromeSoft has been released at a whopping £45! Sod that. They're still selling the old version at 35 so I might have to grab one of those while I still can.

I play Chromesoft’s and had kittens when I seen the price hike ? They’ve gone from a 4 piece, to a 3 piece ball and put the price up to £50rrp ? Crazy! Thankfully I bought 3 dozen of the previous model yellow Truvis just before they became nigh on impossible to get (and paid £30 a dozen) It’ll be interesting to see if the new 3 piece plays the same as the original 4 piece ball.. I’ll try to pic up a sleeve and do my own comparison during the summer.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Blue in Munich

Visit site

https://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/accessories/balls/honma

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I already was buying my golf balls from Snainton last year, but cheers for the heads up regardless. (y)

I play Chromesoft’s and had kittens when I seen the price hike ? They’ve gone from a 4 piece, to a 3 piece ball and put the price up to £50rrp ? Crazy! Thankfully I bought 3 dozen of the previous model yellow Truvis just before they became nigh on impossible to get (and paid £30 a dozen) It’ll be interesting to see if the new 3 piece plays the same as the original 4 piece ball.. I’ll try to pic up a sleeve and do my own comparison during the summer.
I think it is silly money. I still think I'll get a box of last year's for £35, but if I finish them and the price hasn't gone down on the new ones I don't think I'll bother. 45 quid for a box of balls is just nonsense. I want to use the right ball but I don't think it makes enough difference to spend that much to be honest. I might even stick with Bridgestone to be fair, they are a lot more reasonably priced.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I already was buying my golf balls from Snainton last year, but cheers for the heads up regardless. (y)

I think it is silly money. I still think I'll get a box of last year's for £35, but if I finish them and the price hasn't gone down on the new ones I don't think I'll bother. 45 quid for a box of balls is just nonsense. I want to use the right ball but I don't think it makes enough difference to spend that much to be honest. I might even stick with Bridgestone to be fair, they are a lot more reasonably priced.
Go for the Honmas. They’re decent. You can save enough cash to play in the roll up then!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
After 2 months of carrying going back to my trolley today and having to spend 10 minutes at the compressor cleaning the mud off the wheels. It's like putty.

Back to carrying tomorrow.

sunshine

Visit site

How can you like the Velocity and the Chrome Soft? They feel so different.

Personally I hate the feel of the Velocity. Up there with the Warbird as the most horrible ball to hit, reminiscent of the Top Flite.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can you like the Velocity and the Chrome Soft? They feel so different.

Personally I hate the feel of the Velocity. Up there with the Warbird as the most horrible ball to hit, reminiscent of the Top Flite.
I think it's probably changed a lot over the years, I don't know how long ago you hit one. I was using them a couple of years ago when my handicap was a little higher and I just wanted something long, straight and cheap. I didn't find them that hard. But I switched to more premium balls just over a year ago when I started hardly ever losing balls. I wouldn't go back to Velocity now except as a winter ball - but they're now too expensive really to bother with even for winter. I just saw an email with the price hike and was irritated. I think every Titleist ball is at least a fiver too expensive though just because it's Titleist.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Snainton Golf have just emailed a 4 for 3 offer on Chrome Softs, that's the new ones;

https://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/golf-balls/ball-by-type/tour-golf-balls?manufacturer=21682

sunshine

Visit site
I think it's probably changed a lot over the years, I don't know how long ago you hit one. I was using them a couple of years ago when my handicap was a little higher and I just wanted something long, straight and cheap. I didn't find them that hard. But I switched to more premium balls just over a year ago when I started hardly ever losing balls. I wouldn't go back to Velocity now except as a winter ball - but they're now too expensive really to bother with even for winter. I just saw an email with the price hike and was irritated. I think every Titleist ball is at least a fiver too expensive though just because it's Titleist.

I found one last week and hit a few shots with it. No idea how old it was, but the Velocity name hasn't been around long. I was playing a Titleist tour soft as well and the difference in feeling was huge. I couldn't really tell if there was a difference in distance. In terms of control, hitting a wedge into the green the tour soft came back a couple of feet from its pitch mark and the velocity hopped forward a couple of feet, so difference marginal.

D

Deleted member 3432

Been pretty nice all week here. Forecast for tomorrow (Golf) is solid rain and 30 mph gusts.

Fairly calm compared to what we're getting further north. Glad I had no intention of playing.

Cancelled Tuesday due to bad weather and when it was nice yesterday I had something to sort out at home.

Bound to be nice next week when I'm back at work.