Golf Random Irritations

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
40 points in our swindle yesterday with a lost ball on 16 that I thought was nowhere near any trouble. Same hole today from the medal tee which is fifty yards further back and make a birdie 4. Golf is stupid.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Working hard this winter to try and get some handicap cuts. Game feels like it’s improving but not yet had any cards that show this improvement.

Played yesterday, couldn’t register a general play card as first four greens were temps. 39 points!

I'm the other way. Hitting it horribly but finding a way to get it round. 35 points today with a blob and I hit it all over the place. Single putt greens and a pitch in always helps

Tinkerman

Visit site
Found out my Go Kart trolley is not golf swing resistant :mad:
Going back to Go Kart for an unscheduled service this week to fix the handle switch that didn't stand up to a 6i swing :cry:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Over the last few rounds I've been finding I play well enough for maybe 12 holes - and in general scoring really well - often only maybe 2 or 3 over gross for the 12. Then something happens and it becomes a real struggle to keep together - not helped by our back 9 being harder than the front 9. And that's what happened Saturday. 3 over after 12 then dropped further 6. Doing my head in.

Out yesterday for short range session I realised that my grip had slipped back to where it 'had been' before pro correction, the all too comfortable strong grip that I used with fast hands to straighten up the club face needed to mitigate the risks associated with of my long time seriously flawed swing.

I have a k/o match on Wednesday. I think I must fix my grip before then, but of course it feels very strange. Truth is that when I reflect on my 12 hole scoring it is clear that I score well due to my short game. As soon as that stops working well I struggle. So change it is and so off to the range later.

Golf - the game's a beggar,

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Over the last few rounds I've been finding I play well enough for maybe 12 holes - and in general scoring really well - often only maybe 2 or 3 over gross for the 12. Then something happens and it becomes a real struggle to keep together - not helped by our back 9 being harder than the front 9. And that's what happened Saturday. 3 over after 12 then dropped further 6. Doing my head in.
Tried starting on 10? Might Id whether it's difficulty or simply tiredness.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Out yesterday for short range session I realised that my grip had slipped back to where it 'had been' before pro correction, the all too comfortable strong grip that I used with fast hands to straighten up the club face needed to mitigate the risks associated with of my long time seriously flawed swing.

I have a k/o match on Wednesday. I think I must fix my grip before then, but of course it feels very strange. Truth is that when I reflect on my 12 hole scoring it is clear that I score well due to my short game. As soon as that stops working well I struggle. So change it is and so off to the range later.

Hope you get whatever it is sorted… but while irritating, maybe the problem isn't as bad as you fear?

If as you say your "back 9 is harder than front 9" naturally then you’d expect to lose more shots on the back than you did on the front?
  • You play front nine in 3 over
  • You have a tougher 9 coming up so I guess you must expect to drop at least 4 shots (remember its harder than the front) so at best that's = 7 over for the round
  • You then play first 3 holes of back 9 level, so now you’ve only 6 holes left where you will drop those expected 4 shots
  • As it happens you took 2 more shots than you expected you would on those 6 holes … but just 2)
Glass half full :sneaky:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Tried starting on 10? Might Id whether it's difficulty or simply tiredness.
Could be - but I am thinking that I have managed to score well but almost from the off my managing of things gradually slips, until it goes wrong. And because I then try and 'fix it' by doing what my pro has had me working on - but I don't look at EVERYTHING he has had me change (as in - SILH we only have to change one thing about your game - everything) - I only part fix - and that actually exacerbates things. I shall report back later :)

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site

Personally, if my bad rounds were only 9 over par gross, I'd be in a very happy place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally, if my bad rounds were only 9 over par gross, I'd be in a very happy place.
I get that...:) Until I started to fix things I was mid-high teens (and over) quite regularly.

30yrs ago I got down to 6 but got stuck - because too often during a good knock I'd chuck in a couple of real wreckers in addition to a few bogeys - these usually being pretty well balanced out by birdies. Working with my pro I now understand that with my swing back then that was always likely to happen. And because I thought I knew better as I'd taught myself without any lessons then I could fix it - and of course I absolutely couldn't as I did not understand my swing - even though it 'worked'.

Now I understand my old swing and I am working with my pro to change things. I KNOW (as well as I can) that I can get back to 6 and then with a bit of work perhaps better. But I won't if I continue to do what I am currently doing. And so I accept what happened on Saturday and recently as irritating, but not the end of the world, as I know what I must do and what I must not, and make sure I do what I must do.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Could be - but I am thinking that I have managed to score well but almost from the off my managing of things gradually slips, until it goes wrong. And because I then try and 'fix it' by doing what my pro has had me working on - but I don't look at EVERYTHING he has had me change (as in - SILH we only have to change one thing about your game - everything) - I only part fix - and that actually exacerbates things. I shall report back later :)
Well I only hit 30 balls as it was windy and cold - but as hoped - yup - weakening my grip had a significant improving effect (checking ball/clubhead strike position) - and it didn't feel too awkward. Ball flight was better also - but I know that that's not a good strike indicator for me - more a secondary outcome.

sunshine

Visit site
Golf shoes that look more like football boots ?

View attachment 40899

Although football boots don't look like that any more! :D

samba.jpg