Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You make it sound so easy.
Nobody can guarantee to play a straight shot, and in that case there were trees on both sides.
Under pressure, a dog leg right is easier for a right hander.
I'm guessing there is something in the brain that can't always cope at the last hole. Remember Jean van der Velde at Carnoustie, Greg Norman at Troon among many others.
I mean, you asked how somebody plays a dog leg hole and I told you. Now you're just talking about making the whole game easier. Would people still play golf if every hole was just a straight line with no hazards and no longer than 300 yards? Probably not. Would be a bit boring wouldn't it. I think what you're looking for is a driving range. :LOL:

Wolf

Visit site
Sounds like Harvington (near Evesham).
Let's hope I don't ever have to play there sounds awful.

I mean, you asked how somebody plays a dog leg hole and I told you. Now you're just talking about making the whole game easier. Would people still play golf if every hole was just a straight line with no hazards and no longer than 300 yards? Probably not. Would be a bit boring wouldn't it. I think what you're looking for is a driving range. :LOL:
A driving range where you hit 1 ball and walk after it with nothing to look at or challenge you god that would make golf more boring than a night with my ex Mrs 😏

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even Westwood thinks golf is too difficult for the average person.
That last hole was a par 4 dog leg left around high trees.
As a right hander you tell me how I'm supposed to play holes like that.
Then there's double dog legs.
Apart from at seaside links they should remove sand bunkers. I mean, what's the point of bunkers on inland courses?
While I'm on the subject, why are there 460 yard uphill par 4's?

I was only joking 😁

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I mean, you asked how somebody plays a dog leg hole and I told you.
That is the theory. The practice something else. Golf without the ball is easy.

Now you're just talking about making the whole game easier.
What puts a lot of people off is that some courses are just set up to be too challenging and some people are time poor these days.

Would people still play golf if every hole was just a straight line with no hazards and no longer than 300 yards?
But I've noticed that some courses are removing bunkers. Good idea.

I think what you're looking for is a driving range. :LOL:
No. I haven't been to one for years.
I called in for the first time at the 3 Hammers near Wolverhampton yesterday to find hardly a car space. The range was well populated and the course I found to be a pitch and putt (longest hole 90 yards) and it too was packed.
Might go again when it's quieter.

Wolf

Visit site
Apologies to fans of Harvington, and I've only played there once but it did seem like 18 flags in a field. But it's fairly new and inexpensive.
Courses don't need bunkers to be difficult providing they're designed properly.

But having seen your previous list of criteria for what course shouldn't have, all that's left is a flat field with bigger holes so I'm a little confused now as to what you actually want from a course 😂

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Even Westwood thinks golf is too difficult for the average person.
That last hole was a par 4 dog leg left around high trees.
As a right hander you tell me how I'm supposed to play holes like that.
Then there's double dog legs.
Apart from at seaside links they should remove sand bunkers. I mean, what's the point of bunkers on inland courses?
While I'm on the subject, why are there 460 yard uphill par 4's?
Hit a draw ?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Courses don't need bunkers to be difficult providing they're designed properly.

But having seen your previous list of criteria for what course shouldn't have, all that's left is a flat field with bigger holes so I'm a little confused now as to what you actually want from a course 😂

Unlike me, I guess you guys don't play the P&P's. End up in a bunker and you are likely to find it poorly maintained and probably with holes and paw marks.
Bunkers take a lot to maintain, like changing the sand every 4 years.
As for courses I like I'll go for Llandrindod Wells in Powys and Shipton in Gloucestershire. Neither have bunkers and if they did it would spoil their character.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having a lovely fast-flowing round come to a half when you catch up with a four ball who seem to have broken their buggy somehow. Then messing up the hole with a quad bogey and not knowing whether it was due to waiting around or whether you were just blaming that. :LOL:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Missing the 18th green from 110 yards out and making a bogey to miss the buffer zone by 1 and go up by 0.1. Bloody Cat 1 buffer zone only being a shot.

Ouch. I knew standing on the 18th tee that only a par or better would save me from a 0.1 today. Brutal par 4 finish off the back sticks. Melted a driver straight. 200 left in to go, into the wind. 5 wood missed green but only 12 yards or so from pin. Little chip to a foot and relax. Phew.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ouch. I knew standing on the 18th tee that only a par or better would save me from a 0.1 today. Brutal par 4 finish off the back sticks. Melted a driver straight. 200 left in to go, into the wind. 5 wood missed green but only 12 yards or so from pin. Little chip to a foot and relax. Phew.
..then tug the putt and miss left? Finish your stories man. :ROFLMAO: