Golf Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me and a mate put in a casual round card in yesterday for a laugh, he shot 42 points I was 41 lol. Got cut from 13.1 to 12.3.
Happy with the cut but miffed that it doesn't seem to take into account we were playing off the yellow tees. The course is much harder from the whites and there's no way I could shoot 41 points of the comp tees.
It will take it into account but I know what you mean. The reality is way different to the theory.

Still, nice to get 41 points ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Garesfield aka Royal Garesfield :LOL:
Everyone likes a Royal course ?
#caveat - am not an expert.
Whites have a CR of 72.1, Yellows is 70.0.

So whites are anticipated to be 2 shots more difficult, in crude terms your 41 from yellows would be equivalent to you scoring 39 from whites. (Before putting slope & comp % into play, but the slopes are very similar).

That said, it may be worth querying the differential with your h sec. (assuming you scored on every hole) - from what you have shared I can't quite tie that up.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everyone likes a Royal course ?
#caveat - am not an expert.
Whites have a CR of 72.1, Yellows is 70.0.

So whites are anticipated to be 2 shots more difficult, in crude terms your 41 from yellows would be equivalent to you scoring 39 from whites. (Before putting slope & comp % into play, but the slopes are very similar).

That said, it may be worth querying the differential with your h sec. (assuming you scored on every hole) - from what you have shared I can't quite tie that up.

Thanks mate, I'll look into it (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I chose yellow tees on the computer before the round, score differential says 10.6 whatever that means.

5.1 Calculation of a Score Differential

An 18-hole Score Differential is calculated as follows and rounded to the nearest
tenth, with .5 rounded upwards:

Score Differential = (113 ÷Slope Rating) x (adjusted gross score –Course Rating – PCC adjustment)

Adjusted gross gross is reference to any score worse than nett double bogey (the score at which you receive zero points0 is adjusted to nett double bogey

You can see from this that that whites and yellows can produce quite different differentials

Your sec will tell you to look at your EG WHS record where it is all plainly laid out and the only place you will see the PCC for the day.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Popped to the driving this evening to get out the house and members of the local caravan club turned up. They didn’t have any volume control and the kids spent more time on
The range picking up golf balls than in the bays.
As I walked out to the chipping green the little darlings were taking lumps out of the putting green while the parents sat and watched

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The young lad Austin Greaser currently playing in the final of the US Amateur keeps spitting. He's just gobbed on one of the greens.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slow play

Played charity day today
21 points going out. Then proper got held up by group ahead. Looking for balls, coming back to tee to play shots

Just broke my stride .. my own fault need to learn

33 points total .. 5th out of 48

Just frustrating

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Texts scrambles pace of play. 5 hours yesterday

We went out first today in a 3-man scramble - 3 hrs 50.

We are all pretty quick players anyway to be fair, but we were held up a bit a few times by a four ball in front of us, so we would have probably been a quite a bit quicker on our own.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been responsible for our Handbook for years. A couple of years ago it was put on the website and more recently it was turned in to a PDF by someone else. Doing my annual check and update I found that a lot of the spelling had become the American version and not the English one
eg .. ized instead of .. ised.

?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been responsible for our Handbook for years. A couple of years ago it was put on the website and more recently it was turned in to a PDF by someone else. Doing my annual check and update I found that a lot of the spelling had become the American version and not the English one
eg .. ized instead of .. ised.
This is not 100% correct. ize is quite often the correct English way of spelling words and not the American version. Collins English Dictionary for example states that Organization is British English. Personally, i prefer ise but what do I know!:unsure:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Complaining about Americans....

*It used to be.....Brits complained about how lazy the Americans are.....never walked anywhere. Look what has happened here in the UK now.
*It used to be.....Brits complaining about Americans and their love of cars that are too big. Look what has happened here in the UK now.
*It used to be....Brits complaining about Americans and how fat they are. Look what has happened here in the UK now.
*It used to be....Brits complaining about crappy American tv shows. Look what has happened here in the UK now.

I could go on......people just like to complain about "other" people.....
Omg you are right! A lady opposite us drives 2 mins to work. The amount of grossly obeese people about make me look skinny and the size of the piggin cars is ridiculous.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just back from a short session on the range. Intent was to start to consolidate success of good knock on Saturday when I played with our head pro. So on range I hit some really nice balls and then, gulp, a couple of unmentionables creep in.

Pro was giving a lesson and he when done he wanders across to me. Right says he. We have you good on your process - i saw you did that well on Saturday and it really helped towards your good score. However now we must fix your striking because as we have just seen you are still susceptible to the unmentionables - but we can sort that. Just because you thought you were hitting the ball well on Saturday doesn’t mean that, in fact, you were.

And so he sets about changing my address position and resetting my thinking about how I am striking the ball. And after 15mins or so I can see what he is on about. Golf is so bleedin’ irritating. Just when you think that you have the answer some ‘smart Alec‘ pro comes along and tells you that well maybe not quite…but the way for me is out there ??

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

sunshine

Visit site
This is not 100% correct. ize is quite often the correct English way of spelling words and not the American version. Collins English American Dictionary for example states that Organization is British English. Personally, i prefer ise but what do I know!:unsure:

Fixed it for you. Collins can't spell proper.

Most English words ending -tion entered the English language from France and so the French spelling is the more correct.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back from a short session on the range. Intent was to start to consolidate success of good knock on Saturday when I played with our head pro. So on range I hit some really nice balls and then, gulp, a couple of unmentionables creep in.

Pro was giving a lesson and he when done he wanders across to me. Right says he. We have you good on your process - i saw you did that well on Saturday and it really helped towards your good score. However now we must fix your striking because as we have just seen you are still susceptible to the unmentionables - but we can sort that. Just because you thought you were hitting the ball well on Saturday doesn’t mean that, in fact, you were.

And so he sets about changing my address position and resetting my thinking about how I am striking the ball. And after 15mins or so I can see what he is on about. Golf is so bleedin’ irritating. Just when you think that you have the answer some ‘smart Alec‘ pro comes along and tells you that well maybe not quite…but the way for me is out there ??

Genuine question, but why can't you just say 'shanks'?
Surely you can't think it'll be unlucky ..................................................... because you're already suffering from them.
It's like thespians refusing to say 'Macbeth', I just don't get it.