Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm another who pays no attention whatsoever when PPs announce their ball ID.

And even if I did listen I'm certainly not going to write it down, which is what I'd have to do in order to remember beyond 5 seconds.
Yeah, exactly. I've had groups where everyone says what balls they're using before - then as soon as someone puts one in the cabbage and we start looking for it, the first thing you hear is "What ball are you playing again??" Every time.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yeah, exactly. I've had groups where everyone says what balls they're using before - then as soon as someone puts one in the cabbage and we start looking for it, the first thing you hear is "What ball are you playing again??" Every time.

Thinking about this I can see an opening for a trip to Dragon's Den:

Small printed cards with your ball make and number plus the identifying marks that you've added, these to hand out to your playing partners on the first tee and then returned to you at the conclusion of the round.
Cheaper laminated paper versions for the golfer on a budget to high-end metal versions tastefully engraved with ball details for the golfer who has everything.

You could even have two; one for your ball in play and one for your provisional should you need to play one, saves having to call out the make, number and ID marks a second time.

My fortune is made!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Small printed cards with your ball make and number plus the identifying marks that you've added, these to hand out to your playing partners on the first tee and then returned to you at the conclusion of the round.
Cheaper laminated paper versions for the golfer on a budget to high-end metal versions tastefully engraved with ball details for the golfer who has everything.

You could even have two; one for your ball in play and one for your provisional should you need to play one, saves having to call out the make, number and ID marks a second time.

My fortune is made!

I'm out and I'l tell you why... I've just built a free app that sends pics of the actual ball-in-play to every smartphone within bluetooth range and auto-updates during the round when I put a new ball in play

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

My fortune is made!
Like I’ve ever kept a ball long enough to need a laminated version.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

My fortune is made!
I'll give you £75,000 for a 60% share of your business

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm out and I'l tell you why... I've just built a free app that sends pics of the actual ball-in-play to every smartphone within bluetooth range and auto-updates during the round when I put a new ball in play

Let's hope the phone battery lasts then ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with your mate. I wouldn't carry a spare ball in my pocket. Mostly because I don't like having things in my pockets when playing. So having a spare ball in my pocket would be annoying.

I chose your post to respond to because it was easiest but there are others like it.

There was an interesting point posed to one of the pro commentators once about switching balls on each tee.

He pointed out is was a misconception that pros play a new ball on every hole. The are simply switching balls based upon information from Titleist. A ball deforms to a some extent after being struck and takes about 10 minutes to regain it's normal shape.

Ever since hearing that I have carried two balls and switch between holes. In that way if I need a provo (very rare event) I already have one on me.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm another who pays no attention whatsoever when PPs announce their ball ID.

And even if I did listen I'm certainly not going to write it down, which is what I'd have to do in order to remember beyond 5 seconds.
I don't always announce what type of ball I'm using, but I always put my own I D markings on it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I put a provo in to to play I simply say the first one has got green dots and the second one has got red dots.
My mate carries one with P1 on it and simply says that.

sunshine

Visit site

My fortune is made!

I think your idea is only valid if your product is marketed as vintage or retro. Otherwise Slab is way ahead of you with his app :p

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Only applies in a comp where the one make of ball rule is in force and the balls you use are not the same make and type as the other player.
I always thought that a player had to play with his own equipment, not that of a PP or fellow competitor. Hence, John Daly walking off the course and not borrowing one off Craig Parry.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I always thought that a player had to play with his own equipment, not that of a PP or fellow competitor. Hence, John Daly walking off the course and not borrowing one off Craig Parry.

Unlike the one make/model of ball rule that's often used on the main Tours etc
Regular club comps are not likely to add that rule

You're fine to play any ball (assuming it conforms) and can play a ball you find or get one from someone else if you want, even another player