Golf Podcasts

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Golf Bytheminute podcast with Lawrence Donegan (formally of LLoyd Cole and the Commotions and now a golf writer) and John Huggan. https://soundcloud.com/bytheminspor...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter plus you should find it on itunes.

The production values are not the best but both Lawrence and John are always worth listening to. Plus they get some pretty good guests in. And on the last few they start the show with some Sigur Ros. What's not to like?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf Bytheminute podcast with Lawrence Donegan (formally of LLoyd Cole and the Commotions and now a golf writer) and John Huggan. https://soundcloud.com/bytheminspor...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter plus you should find it on itunes.

The production values are not the best but both Lawrence and John are always worth listening to. Plus they get some pretty good guests in. And on the last few they start the show with some Sigur Ros. What's not to like?

The Denis Pugh podcast was really great.

Donegan was also in The Bluebells (Young at Heart), as well as being the author of a number of interesting books including Four Iron in the Soul, about caddying for Ross Drummond.

Lloyd Cole was recently on the State of the Game podcast, the other one I suggested.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know it's a bit route 1, but I quite enjoy the 'road to dubai' podcast from the european tour site. Rob Lee and various co-hosts are pretty cheerful and do a good job of wandering through the various tour bits and bobs on a monday morning.

I used to listen to an american one (golf smarter) which did quite detailed discussions about technique and the course planning/game management side of the game. The interviewees were pretty good, but the guy who presented was very hard work for me. Gave him up in the end.

Will give these others a road (rail) test at some point next week.

(of course, you can't beat guardian football weekly, but that's a whole different kettle of fish).

the_exile

Medal Winner
Visit site
Big fan of A Good Talk Spoiled, the European Tour one, William Hill Golf and Golf Weekly.

Have now listened to By The Min after seeing it in a previous post and really like that one now too!

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
How good is State of the Game with Geoff Shackelford and Mike Clayton!!!

I love killing work hours with a good podcast so thanks for the recommendation.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I listen to Golf Weekly through the app TuneIn Radio.

I have searched for the State of the Game, A Good Talk Spoiled, ByTheMin but to no avail on tunein. What app do you use for them. Its a samsumg mobile and I dont have itunes.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I listen to Golf Weekly through the app TuneIn Radio.

I have searched for the State of the Game, A Good Talk Spoiled, ByTheMin but to no avail on tunein. What app do you use for them. Its a samsumg mobile and I dont have itunes.

You can get bythmin on soundcloud as I linked to in an earlier post. Can't you download itunes to a PC and download then that way?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are into the equipment side of things then there is a good podcast called

Golfbetter. It is sponsored by Edwin Watts so is American based but there are some good interviews with the top club and shaft manufactures. There is a good back catalogue too. I listened to one the other day and Scotty Cameron was on there talking to Frank Thomas (the guy that invented the Frankly Frog putter). Interesting Stuff:lol:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This has been a really useful thread. I've got all of these on subscription and (dodgy production values aside on a couple of them) they are excellent. The guests that they have (esp state of the game) are top notch. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

There's been a lot of chatter over the years about the decline in print-based golf journalism (especially in the daily newspapers). When you listen to these you realise that good golf journalism hasn't disappeared, it has just moved somewhere else.

On a minor technical note, I use the free version of podcast republic (has a few ads here and there on the screen, but nothing too intrusive) on a sony android phone. It finds all of these without too much bother and the subscriptions work fine.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Quick update to this, as it's a sort of 'reference' thread that seems worth adding to.

There's a couple of newish US based podcasts that I've come across recently :

- friends of tiger (hosted by Shane Ryan, author of 'slaying the tiger' book now out.
- no laying up (from the nolayingup webite/twitter feed that started the #prayfortedscott thing

They are quite similar, being a light hearted poke at (mainly) the US tour. Rather like the passing of the old guard on the course, I think that the older, more deferential, journo who writes what he's told so that he doesn't lose access to Tiger et al is in the process of being blindsided by a newer style of brasher, gossipy 4th estate.

They do pull guests in from the same gene pool, so quite often it's hard to tell which is which...

As a further aside, the most recent 'state of the game' pod with Geoff Ogilvy as a guest is a really good listen. Really cool to hear him talk about how hard Dustin Johnson smacks the ball (he talks about it better than I describe it !!)