Golf Podcasts

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A of new entrants to add to the list for those that are interested.

shackhouse - hosted by the slightly annoying Geoff Shackelford from the 'state of the game' podcast. Decent production values and guests. Sponsored by Callaway. Ad breaks remind me of the ones that Frasier used to do on his radio show... https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/shackhouse/id1095195175?mt=2

The clubhouse with Shane Ryan - One of the Fox presenters who also does stuff for the golf channel. Also pro quality production with proper guests. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/clubhouse-shane-bacon/id1094911742?mt=2

There seems to be an effort from the mainstream media to get in on the podcast scene. I hope there's still some space for the originals who sound like they're recording in their airing cupboard (that's you, Lawrence Donnegan), as I'm always a bit cynical about the effects of corporates on the media. They just can't bear not being in control... Look at all the logos on those previously fresh faced youtubers...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A couple of months ago I added a few new podcasts to my list, and downloaded all the back episodes. I've only just caught up!

I see they've already been mentioned above, but I'd also recommend:

The Clubhouse (Shane Bacon). Guests have included Chris Wood, Curtis Strange, Paul Azinger (very good) a couple of times, Justin Thomas a couple of times, Gil Hanse, Bob (PXG) Parsons.

No Laying Up (Chris Solomon). Seems to have a bit of a connection with some top pros and has had Justin Thomas, Rory McIlroy, Charles Howell III and Jordan Spieth on recently.
CH3 is very entertaining, and Spieth comes across nothing like his TV interviews in that he is very interesting and honest. Great hearing him talk about Reed in the Ryder Cup. "Whatever you imagine he's saying walking down the fairway while you're watching it, he's really saying it!".

I can't remember whose podcast it was on, but Max Honma (sp?) is just starting to make it on tour and he was well worth listening to as well.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Second/Third No laying up and Shane Bacon too. Good interviews of Rory and Jordan recently.

Also, really good follows on Twitter - insightful wit and fans of the European tour as well.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
NLU has one or two of the best in-play twitter gags. This was my favourite : https://twitter.com/nolayingup/status/621377723177533440. The cocept of 'tour sauce' and #prayfortedscott also came from them.

There is now a second NLU podcast run by one of the other NLU guys, but I've not yet tried it out.

re. The big interviews, I was chewing on this the other day, and wondered about starting a thread on it. The mainstream media doesn't get much access to these guys, and when they do they are often plugging something. I wonder if the fact that modern pros have grown up with modern media, rather than printed media, makes them more comfortable dealing with them. Not sure the GM editorship would appreciate discussing changing nature of golf coverage on their kindly (and freely) provided forum though.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No laying up is the best podcast by far....seems to have grown even more this year too with the calibre of guests he's getting.

Jordan Spieth came across brilliantly and the Patrick Reed talk was brilliant

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Agreed, NLU is very, very good and definitely bagging the best guests right now. Seen very differently by the pros and the results are awesome, open interviews that you dont get with mainstream media. Clubhouse pod is good too but early ones were better, it now has more of a corporate feel to it IMO.

Only other one I listen to is actually the GM one - they have a really good balance of personalities on there, cover a really broad range of topics and I find it a very easy listen.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for the no laying up podcast. I also like the Scottish golf podcast and a one I found called on the mark. Both informative and have a range of guests on. Gona give the fried egg podcast a listen this morning to see what its like.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed, NLU is very, very good and definitely bagging the best guests right now. Seen very differently by the pros and the results are awesome, open interviews that you dont get with mainstream media. Clubhouse pod is good too but early ones were better, it now has more of a corporate feel to it IMO.

Only other one I listen to is actually the GM one - they have a really good balance of personalities on there, cover a really broad range of topics and I find it a very easy listen.

Yeah Bacon is starting to annoy me constantly banging on about those swing juice T shirts

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
While looking at the NLU site, this comment re the new local rule amused me.

"Now that the USGA won't penalize you for your ball accidentally moving an inch, they can go back to ignoring that it goes 400 yards."

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just received notification today that the new NLU podcast has Jim Mackay (Mickelson's caddie) as a guest.

I've not listened to it yet but this could be better than Rory, Jordan et al.