Golf Podcasts

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The last two McKellar podcasts have been really good.
Pádraig Harrington and Geoff Ogilvy.
Interviewing Harrington is just a case of hitting the record button and sitting back!
https://www.mckellarmagazine.com/podcast/
The amount of quality golf spoken word stuff at the moment is really great. Despite the almost complete absence of decent print coverage (maybe different in Scotland), audio is having something of a renaissance.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I like No Laying Up, Sky Sports Golf, and The Rick Shiels Podcast. I also listen to the Barstool Sports one, which is basically dumb Yanks being dumb Yanks but for some reason I quite like it :)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've only recently started listening to podcasts. No Laying Up is great (as is much of their You Tube stuff), McKellar as well. Disappointed with the "Pepper Pod", though, not sure I'll stick with that one.
I think it's a bit harder than it looks. The standard is much higher than it used to be, and the best ones are either done by professional hacks (eg mckellar) or ams that have had a long time to get better (eg. nlu)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Not a fan of No laying up. I find them too opinionated and nobody else’s view matters. I've been listening to chasing scratch. Very similar each episode but it’s a good background podcast. Some of the episodes are just American idiots but otherwise ok. It’s amazing how these two guys can get the production right and yet so many other big operations can’t

D

Deleted member 25172

Not a fan of No laying up. I find them too opinionated and nobody else’s view matters. I've been listening to chasing scratch. Very similar each episode but it’s a good background podcast. Some of the episodes are just American idiots but otherwise ok. It’s amazing how these two guys can get the production right and yet so many other big operations can’t

I started listening to Chasing Scratch only a couple of weeks ago and just about to finish season 2 now. I usually have a hard time for American/ism but I find these guys absolutely hilarious. Funniest podcast I’ve listened too.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I listened to the first series of Chasing Scratch, but got bored in the second series. Half of it was those guys just laughing at themselves and the amount of in-jokes was crazy.

Did they make it? I would guess not seeing as a 3rd series was set to come out.

Siolag

Visit site
At first I thought chasing scratch was a bit daft, but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. They improved a lot more than I thought was possible at the beginning of it all.

Have to echo the production comments, it is seriously slick.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tour caddy experience is quite funny. The recent Billy Foster one was funny.... Its the guy who has done the recent vid with Rick shiels....

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Really enjoying The Pepper Pot. Andrew Cotter and Eddie Pepperell are always great value in my book as they have a sense of humour which is sadly missing in a lot of golf podcasts, and I think they work so well together. Must be hard launching a golf podcast where there is no golf to talk about but I am impressed up to yet.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I've only recently started listening to podcasts. No Laying Up is great (as is much of their You Tube stuff), McKellar as well. Disappointed with the "Pepper Pod", though, not sure I'll stick with that one.

McKeller is OK and I really like Lawrence Donegan. It's just that he doesn't seem to be able to ask one simple question to a guest when he can ask 3 questions at once whilst answering his own first question. Also with Huggy they do tend to revert back to the same old stuff again and again (ball goes to far, it's all bomb and gouge, modern courses are crap etc etc) , especially as there is no current golf to talk about. They used to do much the same podcast a few years ago called bytheminute golf which covered the same topics.

I'm also getting increasingly bored of what sounds like bad phone connections to guests on all podcasts. Surely in 2020 you can get decent quality audio and not record someone using a mobile with poor quality reception.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Yeah the phone link to Padraig wasn't the best.

Funnily, I used to follow Donegan on Twitter but stopped as he came across as a total *** half the time but I really like him on the podcast.

He did play bass on one of the greatest albums of all time IMHO so he has a lot of credit in my book. But Huggy can get a bit 'old man shouting at cloud' at times. Have struggled with the recent NLUs as well due to the poor audio quality of the guests they have on.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In anticipation of the return of live golf (to those that subscribe) on Sunday I'd recommend the most recent Mckellar podcast.
They have an hour and a half with Rory. Lovely to hear him just chat about golf and stuff with golf journalists who care about the game. It's great.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
In anticipation of the return of live golf (to those that subscribe) on Sunday I'd recommend the most recent Mckellar podcast.
They have an hour and a half with Rory. Lovely to hear him just chat about golf and stuff with golf journalists who care about the game. It's great.
Rory is by far the most interesting sportsperson to listen too in the world imo

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The latest sky podcast is decent, Paul mcginley and David Howell talking about the 2004 Ryder cup. Some decent insights and stories.

I’ve been listening to the pepper pod and although I like Eddie and Andrew, I struggle with it for some reason, normally asleep before it’s finished!

I’ve not heard of the McKellar one so will give that a go.