Golf near Bristol

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll be in Bristol for the weekend next month and looking for course recommendations within a one hour drive of the city centre. Anything up to £50/£60 would be OK but they need to accept visitors on Saturdays. Are there any Bristolians out there who can give me some tips?

D

Deleted member 23270

Bristol and Clifton is reasonable, looks like £70 on a Saturday but they do cheaper twilight times.

evemccc

Visit site
St Pierre Marriott is about 30 mins away from Bristol - used to host some European Tour events in the 80s(?)

As it’s a pay and play you’d have no problem getting on

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loads of courses around Bristol - Players, Kendleshire, Filton, Shirehampton, Stockwood Vale, Cumberwell Park, Thornbury, Tracy Park, Knowle, Saltford so this list should give you a few choices. Not sure about Saturday visitors though

D-S

Visit site
Saturdays tend to be medal days round here so it might be tricky to get on a lot of members clubs. Proprietary ones like the Kendleshire, the Players etc. might be easier but worth checking members clubs anyway. Don’t forget Bath Clubs such as Kingsdown, Bath GC and even Cumberwell Park all under an hour as is a lot of South Wales (and no tolls now). Happy to give specific advice once you’ve zeroed in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Loads of courses around Bristol - Players, Kendleshire, Filton, Shirehampton, Stockwood Vale, Cumberwell Park, Thornbury, Tracy Park, Knowle, Saltford so this list should give you a few choices. Not sure about Saturday visitors though
To this list I’d add, as I’ve played and enjoyed them, Long Ashton, Clevedon, Henbury and, a bit further afield, Mendip GC. I was never a great fan of Bath (Sham Castle) and Landsdowne - though it’s 25+ yrs since I played either.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To this list I’d add, as I’ve played and enjoyed them, Long Ashton, Clevedon, Henbury and, a bit further afield, Mendip GC. I was never a great fan of Bath (Sham Castle) and Landsdowne - though it’s 25+ yrs since I played either.
Agree with you on Lansdowne, one of the most boring, bland areas of grass that has the nerve to call itself a golf course. However, Sham Castle is a very nice, if a bit quirky course.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah ok thanks. When did you last hear they did twilight rates? Would be useful to know as it’s high up my list down that way, but extortionate green fees have put me off!
Before lockdown after 4pm I was told £55 wether that’s still available I don’t know.
I will ring tomorrow and find out.
With a member I believe is £55 but will check that too.
It’s worth £55 but anything more I would try somewhere else.
I will let you know.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If you're referring to Burnham, they don't do twilights and they've stopped having a winter rate. Last winter they used fairway mats too. We stopped going this year after 25 consecutive years in the Dormy House in February, as it was the same price as going in June! We enter the Open Events instead as more sensibly priced.

There's a County Card rate, but this is only bookable on the day, if they are not busy.

All on the website.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, although many of them don't permit visitors on Saturday mornings so our choice was limited. Ended up playing Stockwood Vale GC and absolutely loved it. Such an unusual and challenging layout. The hills really gave us a workout. The greens were immaculate too. Would really recommend it to anyone looking for golf near Bristol.

D

Deleted member 21445

I enjoyed the Kendleshire last year and sometimes they have some great deals as well..