Golf Monthly equipment guide

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
Dear GM forum,

As you may have noticed from the homepage we've just launched a digital version of our equipment supplement: http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/gear_guide_now_available_online__article_262323.html

This is the first time we have produced an online version of this important print product and would very much appreciate some feedback. Any thoughts you have may help us refine the process in the future.

Regards,

Neil Tappin
Deputy Editor

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
First impressions are good. The Yudo software you are using to display the pages is smooth and navigation through the pages is reasonable. It might be slightly difficult to read at lower resolutions (at 1600x1200 the text is still quite small but legible). There is an option to zoom in which may help.

There's a few ads but they are not intrusive and, hey, we've all got to make a living.

Personally I don't like getting the video and sound without asking for it.

As for the content, I haven't read much of it yet, just looked at the pics and tried out the navigation. Bearing in mind that we all seem to have an attention span of 1/2 a nanosecond these days, the guide does grab the attention and invites the user to have a browse.

I'll look at the guide later, especially the Wedges section as I am in the market for one !

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate it. Sorry but whilst I'm sitting at work and your flashing shiny golf gear in front of me and video's of you guys bashing drivers down the range, It makes me want to cry with jelousy.

On a serious note, I love it actually. Great lay out, so easy to use. Nice and crisp, quick loading and the zoom function works like a dream. No negatives.... yet, but only had a quick browse.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
It definitely works, it is clearly a professionally created feature and as such should appeal to many. The two negatives I would say are having the videos forced upon you and being sent to the page of the company who is advertising if you click on their advert accidently whilst trying to turn the page. Although this is more of a user error it is slightly annoying nonetheless. In terms of the content I haven't really had a chance to compare but I assume it is identical to the supplement we have already received with the mag in which case I think that whilst it does reveal what equipment is out there it did little for me in terms of informing me which club is better than another and one I should therefore make sure I test if I am looking to buy. And this therefore makes its purpose questionable for me as I am already widely aware of what is available but I would prefer to know more about each club in terms of what it can offer me/ what its selling points are (this is just my opinion though for others it may have been extremely helpful). This isn't a flaw as such but something I think could be improved upon.

Just to be precise if I were to award it marks out of 10 for the following it would be:

Quality of presentation: 9/10

Usefulness: 6/10

Quality of content: 8/10

Is it something I would use in the future?- most probably at some point just to have a look at what's out there but I doubt I would consult it to see what clubs I should or shouldn't test as it doesn't provide enough info to tell me this unfortunately.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its great but please get rid of all the adverts that are plaguing both your webpage and this forum.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with most of the points above as to the presentation and annoying adds.

Also agree that the content, whilst informative as to what is being released, does not actually assess the merits of the various clubs.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had a quick look and was interested in watching the video for hybrids but found I had to download it rather than watch it streaming. Download was taking forever so gave up. Our broadband connection is sometimes slow at night - will try to remember to give it a go another time.
I guess I was donwloading the whole guide on video - or was this just the hybrid section?
Think I might use if I were looking for something but would only ever want a quick 'clip' to view or download - not the whole thing.
(Of course this is pretty hypthetical if there's no ladies gear on there!) :rolleyes:

AliB

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Online readers are very useful for publishing information, a la Acrobat, but they're not dynamic in the same sense that web page content can be modified and published within moments. If you're after just putting something finite out there loaded with info and ads then fine (??Acrobat cheaper, perhaps??) although a more readable solution with dynamic content is just as feasible using direct web methods, Ajax for one. After all, it's presentable database info isn't it? HTH

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks nice, and easy to use but agree with others that it doesn't really have enough info to help make an informed choice - ie same as the print version. I don't seem to see the videos everyone is on about? Am I dim - or missing something?

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like it - but it simply does not tell me much about the clubs and their merits over others in the price range, however, looks and feelwise it is great.

It would be good to be able to turn the video feature off as I find it quite slow to load - BT fault - broadband is messing about here at the moment.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to concur with the majority that it looks good but the videos are a nuisance. I'd like more information about specs and performance for each bit of kit but in general terms it is a useful tool

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is obviously simply the printed format with a little bookmarking. I will admit that I was hoping for a little more and would suggest that clicking on a product (that very ugly Benross putter for instance) should or could open or link to more detailed information. This could be manufacturer or user review, though the latter would probably mean a continual editing process, which may be more labour intensive than is intended.

The display format wasn't a 100% success at work (21 in. flatscreen, 1920 x 1200). The display had the mailbox appearance of a badly adjusted DVD. Text was small and the zoom irritating. Windowing blocks of text so that only one window zooms (and then only when the cursor is in it) while retaining the whole page view might be better.

The Ad's I could live with, at least there were no annoying pop-ups. The video clips I found slow to load but that could be more to do with the filtering at work.

The controls are, at least for me, a little too discrete; a lighter shade of Grey on Black perhaps?

I will have to see how it will work on my home pc with less bandwidth and a different format.

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
It runs smoothly on my home 'puter and also works in the Firefox browser.

I concur with the remarks re. adverts but I accept you are a commercial organistation and there's no free lunch.

The drop down video is a trifle annoying though. This would stop me browsing it at work.

Just wish I could afford the stuff :(

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now tried it at home (19 in. 1280x1024).

Text is small and zoom function is too coarse.

A separate zoom or enlargeable window for the video display would be useful.

D

Deleted member 1147

Why don't you have a read of this OB1 it gives details of clubs in different price brackets.