A personal appeal - please read

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The whole thing stinks, No Briton should be extradited unless a judge here has seen sufficient evidence to prove that there is a case to answer.

Where is the evidence? Simple, there is none!

What we have here is a travesty, I am ashamed to be British. Britain has let Mr Tappin down

Fragger

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A piece about Chris Tappin is on The One Show BBC1, right now. Very sad!

After watching, I now feel extremely sorry for the family, whether guilty or innocent, it is a very difficult thing to deal with.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not much more I can say other than echo the well worded comments that preceed mine and that my thoughts are with Neil and his family and hope even at this 11th hour stage common sense can still prevail at some point in proceedings

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hopefully the government will at least intervene to ensure that he is not classed as a flight risk (as is the general assumption with foreign nationals). the most distressing fact for a country that promotes justice is that a plea bargain is often the best route to get home as opposed to any semblance of a fair trial.

I work wothin the legal system and a situation like this is just sickening.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its times like these when I feel genuinely ashamed to be British, we're in the yank's pocket, as someone who lived in america for 4 years I love the place to bits but I feel disgusted when I read about some of the stuff they allow... American prisons are incredibly brutal, so I just hope for Neil and his families sake that a solution of some kind can be found so that he can be reunited with his family

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't know if anybody heard the radio (5live) this afternoon, would have been the lunchtime show, but a fair bit of coverage was given to this.

Interview with Mr Tappin's solicitor revealed that he is being held in solitary confinement in a jail in New Mexico. Must be horrific for the poor man. I honestly hope common sense prevails eventually, and he is given a fair trial.

How he could be extradited without a court in the UK country being provided with any evidence is absolutely shameful

I honestly hope for the best for him and his family.

On a side note, I had a reply from Clegg's office. Pretty standard shat, 'Clegg would rather not comment on this case, but the democrats blah blah...' - appalling state of affairs.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I received this today:

Dear Sir / Madam,Thank you for contacting Nick Clegg MP regarding the extradition of Christopher Tappin. I am replying on Nick’s behalf.

Nick quite understands the strength of feeling that Mr Tappin’s case has generated. However, it would not be appropriate for Nick, in his role as Deputy Prime Minister, to comment further on this specific case. It is the responsibility of the Home Secretary to decide on individual extradition cases.

However, you may be aware that Nick has long had a strong interest in the issue of extradition more broadly. Following the Extradition Review in October 2011, Nick and the Liberal Democrats raised a number of concerns regarding Lord Baker’s conclusions about the standard of proof needed to extradite people between Britain and America, and therefore believed that a second opinion was required.

In light of this, Nick asked Sir Menzies Campbell QC MP to set up and chair a panel to examine the issue of extradition between Britain and the United States. Other Liberal Democrats with an interest in the workings of the UK-US extradition will also serve on the panel. The panel will examine the specific issue of the difference between “probable cause” and “reasonable suspicion” (the Baker Review having concluded that there is no substantial difference between them) and will also consider practical solutions to correct any imbalances. The findings will be released at a later date.

Thank you once again for making Nick aware of your concerns on this matter.
Best wishes,
Rory Belcher
Office of Nick Clegg MP

:confused:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got the same mail today Auburn. I also saw that there was a lot of coverage on Sky TV when I was having lunch, although I couldn't here the commentary. Let's hope the right people understand the overwhelming message of the public and try and rectify the situation soonish.