Golf in the Paisley area in Scotland

robbiegwa

Visit site
Hi All,
I've just moved to the Paisley area and I'm looking for a club to join.

I've emailed all the local clubs and I've narrowed it down to a choice between the following clubs.
Paisley Golf Club, Renfrew Golf Club, Elderslie and Old Ranfurly. Has anyone got any experience of these courses? How the hold up in winter, winter greens etc?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

regards
Robbie

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi All,
I've just moved to the Paisley area and I'm looking for a club to join.

I've emailed all the local clubs and I've narrowed it down to a choice between the following clubs.
Paisley Golf Club, Renfrew Golf Club, Elderslie and Old Ranfurly. Has anyone got any experience of these courses? How the hold up in winter, winter greens etc?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

regards
Robbie

PM Valentino on here, he is in touch with a former member of two of them.

I cant mention the persons name, unless I incant it backwards 3 times, surrounded by candles,in a mirror with a crucifix upside down.

But then he may appear........... :mmm::eek:

Sorry, private joke, but Val will be able to put you in touch with him.:thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hi Robbie

couple of others for you to consider are Erskine and East Renfrewshire which are both nice tracks. What about some of the courses on the south side of Glasgow as well?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome Robbie, I think the courses you mention will have problems when it gets really wet. But there is a couple of forum and ex forum members who will no doubt tell you more. One of them joined West Kilbride links, that's playable all year round.
:cheers:

GeeTee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
theres also cochrane castle in johnstone which is a nice course and if you dont fancy links at west kilbride but want a playable course all year round you wont do much better than largs

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Renfrew is great in summer. Lots of tree lined holes and longish par 3s. Not great in winter due to being on the banks of 2 rivers. 4 holes. 2nd, 3rd 5th & 6th are closed for much of off season.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
PM Valentino on here, he is in touch with a former member of two of them.

I cant mention the persons name, unless I incant it backwards 3 times, surrounded by candles,in a mirror with a crucifix upside down.

But then he may appear........... :mmm::eek:

Sorry, private joke, but Val will be able to put you in touch with him.:thup:

beetlejuicethebeetlejuicecrawbeetlejiuce?

briannn

Hacker
Visit site
Gleddoch house (langbank just before port Glasgow) is a nice course not sure how it will hold up in the winter right enough.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends in what you are looking for and will you travel. If I lived in Paisley id be playing on the links, take your pick from any on the Ayrshire coast.

Lydo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is Ayrshire not pretty far from Paisley? I'd try for something a lot closer to home so you could nip out and play 4-5 holes when u have any spare time.

robbiegwa

Visit site
Yeah I thought about Ayrshire and I was brought up in Troon. I was a member at St Nicholas for 4 years but as Lydo says, I want something within 5-10 miles so I can just nip along when I have spare time.

Hearing a lot of positive feedback about Old Ranfurly and Cochrane Castle, both 10-15 minutes away and pretty well priced.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah I thought about Ayrshire and I was brought up in Troon. I was a member at St Nicholas for 4 years but as Lydo says, I want something within 5-10 miles so I can just nip along when I have spare time.

Hearing a lot of positive feedback about Old Ranfurly and Cochrane Castle, both 10-15 minutes away and pretty well priced.

Old Ran wouldn't be my choice, have a look at Mar Hall if you are resigned to be playing Parkland, only hearing good things of it

Last edited:

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends what side of Paisley your staying, Paisley GC (the bushes) is a nice heathland course as is Fereneze in Barrhead, Ralston a good wee parkland course also. As the guys already said, almost all parkland course in the west of Scotland suffer in winter time, but amazing amount of courses to choose from in a small area.

Lydo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fereneze is very windy cos of where it's situated at the top of the hill tho, but has some nice views. Renfrew is a good course, and as has been mentioned above Mar Hall is nice as well.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fereneze is very windy cos of where it's situated at the top of the hill tho, but has some nice views. Renfrew is a good course, and as has been mentioned above Mar Hall is nice as well.

Can only agree with you Lydo about Fereneze, but it drains well due to it's lofty position, unlike Renfrew which lies soaking for months as it's flat although cracking course in the dry weather apart from the constant stream of planes landing. You local?

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last time I played Renfrew (about a year ago) it was a mess. The best thing to do is go and play as many of the courses as you can.

Lydo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm from Greenock mate. Just started playing regularly this season, but I've played Renfrew, Fereneze and Mar Hall. Don't know much about the others. It was summer I played Renfrew so didn't know it was bad for drainage. Best having a round at all the ones on your shortlist and making a decision after that.