Golf Grip

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have just had my 1st golf lesson last week and my pro has advised me to try the interlocking grip instead of overlapping.It felt very strange but I am giving it a go.During that lesson the shots I hit decent I noticed a marked difference in my accuracy and height,I was astounded and pleased.He reckons 80% of golfers he knows use the interlocking grip.

I am wondering how many of you use this grip andw hy do you think it better than overlapping grip?

Cheers

Kev

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I use interlock primarily as I have smallish hands and have to really stretch to make an overlap. Used it since day 1 and see no reason to change it.
The 2 best players the world's ever seen use it.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to his own I think. Plus fad and fashion may have something to do with it? When I started everyone used the overlap grip or Vardon grip to give it its proper name. I use the interlocking grip as I have small hands so find it easier. But was taught with the Vardon grip many moons ago. I did find I could get more wrist action(no puns please) with the interlocking grip. But this could be due to my hand size? Also it is suprizing howmany use the baseball grip as well. So use what you find the best. As after all thats the only thing you have between you and a square club face at impact.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use interlocking, but only because Ive never tried anything else. It feels comfortable and I dont have to think about my grip when I pick up the club, so I won't be changing it anytime soon....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The type of grip you use is a personal thing and there is not a single answer to what is best for any golfer.

I use the interlocking grip as for me it suits my hands and I get a nice feel of both hands working together. Many top golfers have used this grip such as, Tiger, Jack and Luke.

Many teachers promote the Overlap or Vardon grip and if it suits your hands then it is also a good grip to use.

I would suggest that new golfers should be encouraged to try the different types of grip, including the 'baseball' grip and see what suits them best.

T

thecraw

I use interlock primarily as I have smallish hands and have to really stretch to make an overlap. Used it since day 1 and see no reason to change it.
The 2 best players the world's ever seen use it.

I'm sure Hogan used the overlap grip!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I used the interlocking for the 1st 10 years of golf and switched to the Varden in the last 4 years .... I found it slightly easier to weaken. what was a strong grip by changing and also I dont grip so tightly

Chris

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm overlapping and I have small hands.

I sometimes wonder if I'd be better off with interlocking but don't want to go through the grief of getting used to something different.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tried the interlocking grip, but found that it pinched the skin on my fingers & became uncomfortable after a few holes, I now use the Vardon grip & have become used to it.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It seems the general concensus is a case "what suits us individually" rather than any grip is not neccessarily the best.
I started with baseball bat grip and was struggling with that,was recommended to try overlapping about 1 year ago which I felt relatively happy with......then at my 1st golf lesson 1 week ago my pro suggested I try interlocking(Pro mentioned my smaller hands as a possible reason?).I was apprehensive and taken back by this but went along with it.It feels strange so far (1 lesson and 1 practice on my own through the week on the local field ) which is probably only natural.

I have only used a PW 9 IRON and 7 IRON so far..........and as said at start of thread i am startled/pleased by the extra height i am getting and more accuracy.....but this cannot be solely down to a grip change,as the pro has learnt me more on address,stance,ball target,taking divots etc....oh yeah taking divots thats new to me as well.....I have been very low about my golf lately but this has lifted me greatly.....what pushed me FINALLY to go for lessons was our club presentation night recently when I got my Midweek Medal 'trophy' I felt very proud..making me want to become a better golfer than I am..it inspired me..I have got to give myself a chance of improving by going to a pro..rather than plodding on alone GETTING NOWHERE

Cheers gents

Last edited:

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use the interlocking grip but found I gripped too tightly which affected the release. Now I used the Vardon grip and I have small hands (size S golf glove).

No plans to change any time soon.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use overlapping Vardon grip... not really sure why other than it seemed to be the more regualar teaching option in the late 80s.. all my junior mates had it as well.

I occasionally try a couple of swings with an interlocking at the range out of curiosity. Result is usually a slice or block as I find it really hard to release my hands through impact with an interlocking grip.

Quite a few of you guys using the interlocking grip say you have small hands... hard to know what everyone thinks of as small..are we talking size small in golf gloves?