Golf etiquette (faster play)

Bamberdele21

Visit site
@Bamberdele21 are you just trying to play faster so you don't have to lie to the wife about being late because you stayed to have a couple of post round bevvies ;):sneaky:

You’ve probably hit the nail on the head ?

Just dont get why you'd try and rush. Are you happier with the 88 or the two hours 40 round? :ROFLMAO:

You'd be suicidal in any comps at my place! 4 and a half hour rounds are normal on Saturdays

Cards on the table, playing golf with your regular partner (2/3 times a week) for anymore than 3 hours gets extremely tiresome and boring especially when you’re at different stages of your game.

However I’m sure when I start playing in comps where there is a serious element to the round with members I have never met before or haven’t seen in a while then I’m certain there’s a completely different social aspect to this and maybe a 4 hour round would seem like 2 hours.

I am yet to experience the latter.

Having said that I always much prefer playing a fourball with my social circle as it’s much more enjoyable and those rounds always last the longest.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Cards on the table, playing golf with your regular partner (2/3 times a week) for anymore than 3 hours gets extremely tiresome and boring especially when you’re at different stages of your game.

However I’m sure when I start playing in comps where there is a serious element to the round with members I have never met before or haven’t seen in a while then I’m certain there’s a completely different social aspect to this and maybe a 4 hour round would seem like 2 hours.

Having said that I always much prefer playing a fourball with my social circle as it’s much more enjoyable and those rounds always last the longest.

Sorry but how on earth can you get bored with playing with someone "at a different stage"

Surely for one the handicap system makes it interesting as his 98 to your 88 what's the handicap difference? Did you beat him?

Then their is the fact it's social aspect so spending time chatting to your mate

I'm playing this afternoon with a 14 handicap friend I'm off 21 we never get bored... Infact few weeks ago I hit a 91 and he had a 95 beat him without the need for handicaps

Golf isn't a game of perfect

Enjoy the time away from other parts of a hectic world

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Sorry but how on earth can you get bored with playing with someone "at a different stage"

Surely for one the handicap system makes it interesting as his 98 to your 88 what's the handicap difference? Did you beat him?

Then their is the fact it's social aspect so spending time chatting to your mate

I'm playing this afternoon with a 14 handicap friend I'm off 21 we never get bored... Infact few weeks ago I hit a 91 and he had a 95 beat him without the need for handicaps

Golf isn't a game of perfect

Enjoy the time away from other parts of a hectic world

We are new. Neither of us have a handicap and if we did neither of us know how to work out the stableford points system.

As said previously the time spent chatting is done in the bar after a round.

Judging by many replies in here it seems like a massive contributor of slow play seems to be because chaps are stood around talking lol. The only time I find this acceptable is if we are being held up.

I guess if you built your own course you wouldn't have to put up with other people on it. ;)

To be fair I played on my own a lot for the first 2 months during the peak of my honeymoon period. Absolutely loved getting away and having a round on my own.

As I got better I realised this was no longer as enjoyable for me as there wouldn’t be anyone there to witness some of the drives, birdies, eagles etc. I absolutely cannot have a round on my jack jones anymore. Without anyone there to share the highs and lows just seems pointless.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are new. Neither of us have a handicap and if we did neither of us know how to work out the stableford points system.

Judging by many replies in here it seems like a massive contributor of slow play seems to be because chaps are stood around talking lol. The only time I find this acceptable is if we are being held up.

To be fair I played on my own a lot for the first 2 months during the peak of my honeymoon period. Absolutely loved getting away and having a round on my own.

As I got better I realised this was no longer as enjoyable for me as there wouldn’t be anyone there to witness some of the drives, birdies, eagles etc. I absolutely cannot have a round on my jack jones anymore. Without anyone there to share the highs and lows just seems pointless.

Something for you to try this weekend...

https://britishspeedgolf.co.uk/british-open-speedgolf-championships/

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You can talk and play ready golf it's really easy

Talk between shots

Walk to your own ball and play unless he is lost then find it .

Handicap is easy to work out on some kind of app official or not

Google will tell you how to score

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
On previous rounds he’d be doing yoga exercises on tee off rolling around on the floor doing certain stretches to ‘click his hip in’. All this with his practice swings, club selection, stopping mid way through swing to swat flies on his leg and all that yoga thrown in infuriates me and I end up just playing my own game………

I thought from the opening post that this thread was a wind up, but was prepared to allow the OP the benefit of the doubt. Then I read the above, and now KNOW it’s a wind up.

Yoga exercises and fly swatting? Yeah, right.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
You can talk and play ready golf it's really easy

Talk between shots

Walk to your own ball and play unless he is lost then find it .

Handicap is easy to work out on some kind of app official or not

Google will tell you how to score

On a par 71 course with a rating of 69.8 and a slope rating of 127 my 3 best scores are 85,86,87 which I’ve typed this into a handicap calculator which has given me the screen shot attached. I don’t think it is right if I’m honest. Is this calculator legit?

Attachments

• CD5A541C-3DEF-4566-8689-58C01D8B6E06.png
    CD5A541C-3DEF-4566-8689-58C01D8B6E06.png
    272.6 KB · Views: 22

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a par 71 course with a rating of 69.8 and a slope rating of 127 my 3 best scores are 85,86,87 which I’ve typed this into a handicap calculator which has given me the screen shot attached. I don’t think it is right if I’m honest. Is this calculator legit?

Yes it is

When only 3 scores in (out of 20) it takes your best score minus 2 so doesn't sound unreasonable

Highslice

Visit site
Yes it is

When only 3 scores in (out of 20) it takes your best score minus 2 so doesn't sound unreasonable

Yep - put my 3 card in and handicap was taken from the best score differential, minus 2.

your next (4th) qualifying card means the calculation is your single best diff minus 1, for some reason.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I literally play 9 holes every day with a bloke like your mate :ROFLMAO: He took a year to get to a level that doesnt wind me up - I hope your mate progresses quickly - but dont leave him behind!

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I literally play 9 holes every day with a bloke like your mate :ROFLMAO: He took a year to get to a level that doesnt wind me up - I hope your mate progresses quickly - but dont leave him behind!

The irony of this thread is the round I had yesterday with him was brilliant and it’s almost as if he’s been lurking on this forum reading everything I’ve been saying about him.

He’s also been having weekly lessons so I think it’s finally starting to pay off

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I know everything. I am never wrong. I can win any arguments. People who know this don't even attempt to argue with me because they know I will win. They've even stopped inviting me to parties now as they don't want to be shown up.

D

Deleted member 21258

2 ball pace anywhere from 2. 3/4 hr to 3 hr, is a reasonable pace (assuming the course allows that pace.)

3 ball nice pace is anywhere around 3 hrs to 3 1/4 hrs.

You wont find many people who find 2 1/2 hrs to 2 3/4 hrs for 2 ball tbh, as a nice pace. In fact only ever played with my family at that pace....

You will need to search out partners that match you for speed and when the course is quiet, if speed of play is important to you.

Best of luck.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unlike him I rarely have practice swings and he will piss about for a good chunk whilst also changing his mind back and fourth as to which club he’s about to choose.

It’s got to the point that I just end up finishing 50% of holes before him.

So, by definition, he finishes 50% of holes before you.
What's the problem?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Where do I start after just seeing this thread. I had a dithering mate but I didn’t go ahead of him I just had a word. It becomes an issue when you start holding people up but if he’s a mate surely you can have a word.

I’m no slouch but I do have a mate who just wants to fly around without any consideration for others including walking straight past when I’m about to take a shot and when he does similar stuff to me I just stand there and wait until he gets off out my way and then make a point of take my time.

on lost balls you should always help find the nearest lost ball unless you are in deep cabbage and are worried you’ll lose your line to your ball. Once found it would be appropriate to mark where it is and go and help your mate. If he can’t find it within 3mins the ball is officially lost which screws his round up.