Golf Course Closed again

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So bloody woke at our club we would rather be shut and upset 500 rather than go carry only and upset three old fellas
Then you should point yoor board/owners to the very detailed guidance available on the EG website, which makes in plain that there is no requirement to allow buggy's if ground conditions make them unsafe. Some days the course will be open but buggy's banned completely others buggy's will have be limited to certain holes (sometimes as little as 2).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Then you should point yoor board/owners to the very detailed guidance available on the EG website, which makes in plain that there is no requirement to allow buggy's if ground conditions make them unsafe. Some days the course will be open but buggy's banned completely others buggy's will have be limited to certain holes (sometimes as little as 2).
You are correct in that E.G. have detailed guidance on trolley and buggy use and they are now pretty clued up as to the requirements of Clubs to look after those players with "protected characteristics" . It's very easy to point the finger at "old gits" who want to play in all conditions but there are also young gits with characteristics too who, like the old gits, have paid a full membership fee but have often been treated as second class members when Clubs introduce a "carry only " policy when those making the decision should be aware of their requirements under the 2010 Equality Act.

I have been discriminated against, in being told I can't play because I can't carry, and suffered some abuse at a meeting when this legal position was mentioned to the committee members at an open forum, and they didn't have a clue how the 2010 Act was being abused. Gladly they have learned now and more often they use the phrase " carry if you can" . I still think that a requirement to have a medical letter confirming the need would reduce the number of people using trolleys as doctors or consultants will not normally issue a letter fraudulently and then those using trolleys in poor conditions can be validated.

At my Club there are only about 25 such letters lodged with the office and if 20% of them want to play when the conditions are bleak it means only 5 or so trolleys will be on the course, they'll hardly rip it up compared to possibly 80 people carrying .

I think E.G. are now advising more and more Clubs of their duties

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are correct in that E.G. have detailed guidance on trolley and buggy use and they are now pretty clued up as to the requirements of Clubs to look after those players with "protected characteristics" . It's very easy to point the finger at "old gits" who want to play in all conditions but there are also young gits with characteristics too who, like the old gits, have paid a full membership fee but have often been treated as second class members when Clubs introduce a "carry only " policy when those making the decision should be aware of their requirements under the 2010 Equality Act.

I have been discriminated against, in being told I can't play because I can't carry, and suffered some abuse at a meeting when this legal position was mentioned to the committee members at an open forum, and they didn't have a clue how the 2010 Act was being abused. Gladly they have learned now and more often they use the phrase " carry if you can" . I still think that a requirement to have a medical letter confirming the need would reduce the number of people using trolleys as doctors or consultants will not normally issue a letter fraudulently and then those using trolleys in poor conditions can be validated.

At my Club there are only about 25 such letters lodged with the office and if 20% of them want to play when the conditions are bleak it means only 5 or so trolleys will be on the course, they'll hardly rip it up compared to possibly 80 people carrying .

Surely it should be as simple as carry only unless you have a medical certificate.. or when it's buggy ban it should be no buggies unless you have a medical certificate

D-S

Visit site
Surely it should be as simple as carry only unless you have a medical certificate.. or when it's buggy ban it should be no buggies unless you have a medical certificate
Unless buggies on the course cause a H&S issue. Not very good if a buggy user, who cannot walk, is stranded miles away from the clubhouse as the buggy is stuck, even worse if it overturns.

D-S

Visit site

This is probably the most abused or ignored plea at most clubs.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Buggies can be more difficult to answer as health and safety issues will come more into the issues and Clubs have to be fair to members who require a buggy, but carpet bans are not allowed and it's best to read the E.G. wordings regarding buggies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Open but not sure it should have been. Several holes had tyre tracks where the green keepers had been and water coming up as you walk in numerous places. Greens putted ok though. Glad the board event was cancelled and the seniors cancelled (assuming most need trolleys) tomorrow so to be fair the club are doing their best in testing times

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Courses closed?
Weird. 👀

2 rounds this weekend, and not a patch of mud anywhere. Love being built on a ton of sand. Can withstand pretty much whatever rain is thrown at it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buggies can be more difficult to answer as health and safety issues will come more into the issues and Clubs have to be fair to members who require a buggy, but carpet bans are not allowed and it's best to read the E.G. wordings regarding buggies.

Tbh buggies are just a money spinner. They could easily be banned full stop unless you have a certificate

I'm not the fittest but even I can walk 18 holes

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My old man's place is on the south coast right by an estuary and they've been pretty much closed since November as it doesn't take much to have standing water at the best of times. With the amount of rain we've had over the last 3 months or so there just isn't anywhere for the water to go so their place is more of less underwater. Just when the course gets to a point where they can create a composite course it pours down again and they're back to square one. In the club management's infinite wisdom their membership year starts in January which is not idea as the email arrives demanding money at a point where most have barely set foot on the course. My dad doesn't mind so much as he's retired and can make up for it when the weather improves by playing 3-4 times a week. The members are tend to have a rethink on membership are those who only manage to play once a week at the weekend and so find that for 4 months they may not have played a full round and the course might have only be open a handful of times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My old man's place is on the south coast right by an estuary and they've been pretty much closed since November as it doesn't take much to have standing water at the best of times. With the amount of rain we've had over the last 3 months or so there just isn't anywhere for the water to go so their place is more of less underwater. Just when the course gets to a point where they can create a composite course it pours down again and they're back to square one. In the club management's infinite wisdom their membership year starts in January which is not idea as the email arrives demanding money at a point where most have barely set foot on the course. My dad doesn't mind so much as he's retired and can make up for it when the weather improves by playing 3-4 times a week. The members are tend to have a rethink on membership are those who only manage to play once a week at the weekend and so find that for 4 months they may not have played a full round and the course might have only be open a handful of times.
Yeah.. unless it's dirt cheap I'm surprised they have a membership at all. A course you can only play for two thirds of the year.

Springveldt

Visit site
Thought we had a good chance of getting a game this morning after 2 dry days, but it then it rained overnight, course closed again :cautious:
4 days in a row it's been closed. Must have chucked it down overnight as there were puddles everywhere when I woke up this morning. I thought the greenkeeper report from yesterday was interesting about the amount of rain we have had.

Actual RainfallAverage Rainfall
October19074
November12277
December14173
January9556
February6026
Total611306

The February count was only up to the 15th of the month so it will have been even higher by the end of the month. No wonder the place has been closed as much as it has.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
4 days in a row it's been closed. Must have chucked it down overnight as there were puddles everywhere when I woke up this morning. I thought the greenkeeper report from yesterday was interesting about the amount of rain we have had.

Actual RainfallAverage Rainfall
October19074
November12277
December14173
January9556
February6026
Total611306

The February count was only up to the 15th of the month so it will have been even higher by the end of the month. No wonder the place has been closed as much as it has.
Saw that last night. The one stat which is missing and I'd like to see is how many days the course has been closed vs the average.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not quite sure I understand what's what at our place right now..
We've been, quite rightly, carry only si ce Friday...the ground has been very soft...barely any rain over the weekend though....
Quite a decent amount of rain last night - puddles on the roads this morning - and we're allowed trolleys but carry if you can.....
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me....
I hope it's not because it's Ladies morning and most of them can't carry........ :unsure:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We were allowed trollies all weekend. Saturday was touch and go as to whether it should have been open.

No one had changed the status from Friday so lots of people took their trollies. Seems no one is able to think for themselves. Or keep to the paths from the tees.

By Sunday afternoon parts of the course resembled ploughed fields.

Allowing trollies and asking people to carry where they can doesn’t work. And many people had their electric trollies out with massive bags on them.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me....
I hope it's not because it's Ladies morning and most of them can't carry........ :unsure:

Every Thursday morning is a Seniors comp at my place. It’s amazing how often the course has been closed on Wednesday but open and fit for trollies on a Thursday.