Golf Course Closed again

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Walked down our range today to collect some balls to hit back down. Ground absolutely sodden. Can’t see the course been open any time soon.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our course was open today trollies and carry only. No buggies.
It should be shut it’s that wet,

Been there 12 yrs and I have never seen it so muddy in places.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Our course is an absolute state and only getting worse.

The single worst it’s been in the 4 years I’ve been a member and it’s not even close.

Owners just will not shut the place unless all the bridges flood. As soon as they are crossable the course is reopened. Absolute bog and long term damage everywhere.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our place is the same. Could shut endless number of holes but hard to say when it's ok to now open them again. With mats as tees & fairway mats every where else it's right easy to keep on playing with little damage.
I

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
At 7am our course manager decides if the course can open. It’s been hammering down this week, along with snow, so it shut today.
Fortunately I’ve been on the piss in London so wasn’t too bothered.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our course is an absolute state and only getting worse.

The single worst it’s been in the 4 years I’ve been a member and it’s not even close.

Owners just will not shut the place unless all the bridges flood. As soon as they are crossable the course is reopened. Absolute bog and long term damage everywhere.
Like ours will soon recover as long as the owners put in the investment. Nature will heal most things with help.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big problem is this sort of damage is at the pinch points, bridges ,,start / end of paths.

It costs time and money to fix.

Buggies are a nightmare on our course ,it’s not really set up for them.
but once they have churned the place up trollies and foot fall just makes it worse.!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Like ours will soon recover as long as the owners put in the investment. Nature will heal most things with help.

Investment 😂😂😂😂

They go on about 40 holidays a year and spend as little as possible on the course. Course is screwed for the year.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I haven't played at our course since early January, but the state of it from what I hear as been pretty much like the green-belt area we walk our dog on right next to our house.

We have lived here for over 32 years, and have never seen the area so sodden. We said that a few months ago and neighbours who had lived here for a similar time agreed.

Twice since then we have agreed that is even worse now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Said this before and stand by it. It's all good and well us as members saying it should be closed and long term protection of course. However how long will we put up with it with the weather changing all the time? We use to get damp winters and dryish summers. Now it's flooded for a week then bright whatever time of the year. If the courses keep closing they will go out of business

Societies bring normally a memberships worth of cash in one day so they need to stay open for a booking for them..weekends are premium so they try and stay open for members.

What's most likely going to have to happen is we accept slightly less of a quality product as a pay off for it staying open otherwise they would be closed constantly and a lot of people wouldn't pay memberships if they can't use them in winter.

Greenstaff do a fantastic job and manage traffic to help evenly wear courses. Unless we suddenly perfect weather control I don't see the way courses are kept open will change much.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I think ours has been managed pretty well. It has been closed a lot, and at times late last year I personally felt that a lot of the time it could have been open.

Since Christmas the rain has got worse and the course is barely ever 100% dry, but the club have been proactive in getting as much open as possible. Friday it was the full 18 of the winter course. Yesterday there were 10 holes and play ability was borderline. Today it is closed, put to the sword by yesterday's rain.

However, the course, for a poor draining parkland course, is in remarkably good condition, testimony to their management which has included winter tee mats and mats on fairways. Come spring any sort of prolonged dry spell, combined with the real growing season kicking in should see the course in fantastic condition.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is closed today again so no golf for me this weekend. Have never seen this much rain in the first two months of a year in my lifetime I don't think. My Sunday footy team that I help run has only had two matches since Christmas, despite having a fixture in place every Sunday - pitches aren't playable.

Doesn't look like much rain scheduled this week - end in sight? 🤞🏻

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Minus two predicted this am. Stuff it I'll lie in I'm not playing on temps. Wrong. After a couple of snoozes, I went and made a brew. Light frost. Ahhhh right decision. Check club website. 15 holes open full greens. ???? Hmmmmm is this a counter measure against the 10 or so from our place that are playing a rival course this morning which will be fully open? It's too late. They are leaving!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our place has been partially shut ( 9 holes only) rotated between front and back nine. But ok to play at the weekends for 18. 😳
To being completely closed for the last couple of weeks. It is now open again. However me brother went over yesterday to walk his dog and he said “ it is a mess, how it is open is beyond me”. A couple of the lads played yesterday and were slipping all over the place.
For me it’s a fine balancing act. If it and others stay shut, it isn’t bringing in money.
For anyone within a 25 mile radius of Worksop. College pines is a steal at £20 at the moment. It is bone dry. I played last Tuesday and wore the same trousers on Thursday as they were spotless.
Bondhay is slightly damper, again at £20.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is closed today again so no golf for me this weekend. Have never seen this much rain in the first two months of a year in my lifetime I don't think. My Sunday footy team that I help run has only had two matches since Christmas, despite having a fixture in place every Sunday - pitches aren't playable.

We reopened today after closing Friday and Saturday

Going to make the most of the week and play Monday and Thursday 😂 shame they are hollowing the greens tomorrow tho. Damn

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Still open....Still carry only...Still only been shut for 1 day and that was more for storm damage than rain....
Ellesborough drains so well but even we're very sticky underfoot.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site

Blue skies round my parts today and no rain forecast this week - our courses so desperately need a sustained period of drying time. So yes, 🤞 and i'm adding in some 🙏 'ing as well just in case!