Golf Course Closed again

Milson

Visit site
Hi
I went down south last week and was told the course was Level 4, Carry only.

Absolutely fine, I get it. Our course are closing all the time at the moment and mainly because of the "buggy people". If the course is open, they churn it up, so we don't open, because all these old people who so say struggle so much want to play in the very worst of conditions.

Anyway, is this Level 4, a recognised standard?

I Guess Level 1 would be open all the way to Level 5 closed, I guess? Hence why Level 4 is carry only.

If you do run Level 4, do the "buggy people' have an issue and threaten to sue the course for discrimination?

Thanks

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the ground is too wet, it's closed. You can't change the weather
We will ban buggies first, then all trollies and then finally everyone.
Common sense has to be brought to bear at some point.
;)

D-S

Visit site
I've never seen 'Levels' mentioned in relation to course status/conditions before
Quite common round here either numbered or colours. (Black, red, amber green). Levels are different restrictions at different clubs. For example Level 1 buggies for blue badge holders only, 2 no electric trolleys push trolleys only with hedgehog wheels, 3 carry only no buggies at all.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have 'levels' - of 1 to 5. As far as I'm aware it's just an internal thing - applicable to us only - and just gives names to given levels of 'restriction'.
I think level 5 is 'course closed'; level 4 is 'carry only' ; level 3 is 'no electric trollies'; level 2 is ' no buggies'; and level 1 is 'no restriction'.

Milson

Visit site
We have 'levels' - of 1 to 5. As far as I'm aware it's just an internal thing - applicable to us only - and just gives names to given levels of 'restriction'.
I think level 5 is 'course closed'; level 4 is 'carry only' ; level 3 is 'no electric trollies'; level 2 is ' no buggies'; and level 1 is 'no restriction'.
Thanks. Is there any rule that stipulates that buggy players(blue badges) can still play too? If not, do they threaten to sue the club etc?

D

Deleted member 15344

Thanks. Is there any rule that stipulates that buggy players(blue badges) can still play too? If not, do they threaten to sue the club etc?
Buggies will be banned from a course for health and safety reason

Not sure what ground a buggy use can sue the club

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Buggies will be banned from a course for health and safety reason

Not sure what ground a buggy use can sue the club

Agreed. Our head greenkeeper stipulates the reason a buggy ban is enforced, and it will almost always refer to health and safety, because the tyres on them offer little or no traction.

I can see where the OP is heading with this. Does a buggy ban discriminate against anybody’s “protected characteristics” - age, infirmity etc. And I suspect that is precisely why our place cites H & S. Because I suspect it supersedes anybody’s “right”, as seen by them, to use a buggy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have buggy bans on health and safety grounds

When it come to damage I would argue where I play I see a lot more damage from electric trollies than buggies mainly because the vast majority of users always walk in about the same line around the greens in particular.

We do have a buggy route for not so good conditions

The next stage is course closed.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why can’t those who need a buggy / ride on just do 9 holes with a leccy trolley with winter wheels?

A lot of courses are closing because the ride on damage / h&s risk and I agree it’s not fair on the bigger percentage prepared to carry.

Would they play Celtic manor and moan they want the cart paths moved as they’ve missed too far from the path?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why can’t those who need a buggy / ride on just do 9 holes with a leccy trolley with winter wheels?

A lot of courses are closing because the ride on damage / h&s risk and I agree it’s not fair on the bigger percentage prepared to carry.

Would they play Celtic manor and moan they want the cart paths moved as they’ve missed too far from the path?
Some courses (ours included) ban trolleys without exception to type of wheels if the course is that saturated.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi
I went down south last week and was told the course was Level 4, Carry only.

Absolutely fine, I get it. Our course are closing all the time at the moment and mainly because of the "buggy people". If the course is open, they churn it up, so we don't open, because all these old people who so say struggle so much want to play in the very worst of conditions.

Anyway, is this Level 4, a recognised standard?

I Guess Level 1 would be open all the way to Level 5 closed, I guess? Hence why Level 4 is carry only.

If you do run Level 4, do the "buggy people' have an issue and threaten to sue the course for discrimination?

Thanks

We have levels

Level 1 , normal
Level 2, no buggies , trolleys with hedgehog wheels only
Level 3 carry only
Level 4 closed

We have had a couple of level 4s but not a single level 3 yet

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We have levels but V1 is updated with the wording that goes with each level.

Whoever did the update this morning obviously hadn’t seen the course as they allowed push trollies resulting in parts of the course resembling a ploughed field. And of course a fair few people took fully laden electric trollies out.

Burnsey

Visit site
We have buggies with medical certificate only, carry if you can. Course closed two days only last six months.

Playing the first earlier, standing over second shot and groundsman moved flag from temp to main green (three today) and I was last to play :D

We moved it back...

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Closed again yesterday and the board event cancelled for tomorrow. They are allowing tee bookings so at best it'll be carry only 1-14 and the 18th but not entirely sure it will have drained sufficiently. After a crap range session (albeit with a hangover) not sure I'll even bother

Golfnut1957

Visit site
As per the other responses, ours ban buggies on H&S grounds. With a predominantly hilly course, there is an awful lot of slope and not a lot of flat, so it would be quite hard to argue against.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As per the other responses, ours ban buggies on H&S grounds. With a predominantly hilly course, there is an awful lot of slope and not a lot of flat, so it would be quite hard to argue against.
Likewise
To be honest there are some holes on our course where I'd be cautious riding a buggy in the middle of summer....