Golf clubs low on membership

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Just to bump this as not seen it mentioned elsewhere, but Eastwood GC to the south of Glasgow appointed administrators this week. A proposed deal / purchase to keep it as a golf course fell through and they basically have no cash.

Scotsman Story

Given the number of courses in the area (and in nearby Ayrshire) it's a very competitive location and I think it was inevitable that a course was going to go sooner or later.

It seems that a lot of members left over the past year, with a big exodus when 2019 fees were due. Likely been past the tipping point for a year or two now.

Pollok dropping joining fee possibly led the charge last year. Who I understand are now full and will be putting their joining fee back on.

Hopefully if nothing else, this strengthens the position of other courses and they realise the seriousness of not recruiting younger people and encouraging people to take up the sport.
Now sadly confirmed
Eastwood Golf Club closes
I've not commented before but this has been coming for a while. It was known they've been struggling for years and an EGM was called a couple of months ago as the club was on the brink then. They closed on Thursday with the members playing their last round on Wednesday.
They've basically run out of money and, combined with falling membership, the club just became unsustainable. For a club that reached its 125th anniversary last year is a sad loss., for the members, and for those employed there. And it's a salutary lesson for all the clubs in the area. A club has to evolve in the right way to survive.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would love to be a member but golf takes far too long to play.

We need high quality, short and interesting courses. We don’t need 18 hole “championship” courses with “USGA” spec greens that in the end are glorified fields.

It’s sad but some courses will close, we have too many like the above, it’s a fact.

Golf needs to be accessible, fun to play and take a reasonable period of time.

To do so courses need to be cheaper to manage, take up less space and be closer to the population they want to serve.

I see a future for 9, 12 or 14 hole courses if Golf can ever accommodate such a change.

Will 18 hole courses ever completely go? No, they shouldn’t either, but the should be more room for alternatives to 9 and 18 hole courses.

9 hole courses also need to lose the stigma, they should be embraced rather than laughed at.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 2 club memberships at the moment.

1 is a 9 hole course par 32. Take around 75 minutes to do 9 holes, great for after work or a short time round. My other membership is at a full 18 hole course. Thing is I can get round there in 3 hours with my son which is great and even the 9 holes is 90 minutes. So the 9 hole membership is going in June.

I find it's about playing at the right time. Normally I play on a Sunday morning as it fits family life but it's busy and can take a lot longer so we've started playing in the afternoons as it's got a nice pace to it.

Additonally playing 9 holes of the 18 still works, club are happy for us to play either the front 9 or the back if it's not too busy

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would love to be a member but golf takes far too long to play.

We need high quality, short and interesting courses. We don’t need 18 hole “championship” courses with “USGA” spec greens that in the end are glorified fields.

It’s sad but some courses will close, we have too many like the above, it’s a fact.

Golf needs to be accessible, fun to play and take a reasonable period of time.

To do so courses need to be cheaper to manage, take up less space and be closer to the population they want to serve.

I see a future for 9, 12 or 14 hole courses if Golf can ever accommodate such a change.

Will 18 hole courses ever completely go? No, they shouldn’t either, but the should be more room for alternatives to 9 and 18 hole courses.

9 hole courses also need to lose the stigma, they should be embraced rather than laughed at.
I can never see a time when you'll get 12 or 14 hole courses and to be honest by the time you've committed the time to play 14 holes you may as well play 18. Is there really a stigma towards 9 hole courses. Well designed with two distinct set of tees can provide a varied challenge and there are loads of great ones about. Didn't GM (or maybe someone else) do a feature on some of the best in the UK

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I think accessible 9 hole courses is a great way to play, and terrific for those who are time poor, as well as an easier access route for new and returning players. It can of course be a loop of a 18 hole course, but perhaps a club can offer a reduced green fee for just 9 holes for visitors? I don't think many do.

I also think that clubs with space could set up 9 hole par 3 courses to complement their 18 hole main course offering. The 9 hole can be cheapish to play, no dress code, and becomes a gateway to the bigger game for those who want it, as well as a great way for members to practice their short game. Would the costs of that be significant? I wouldn't have thought so as they already are looking after 18 holes, but I'd be interested to know. Then, make the clubhouse accessible to all, members, players, visitors, anyone who wants to, to buy a meal and a drink.

I'm genuinely interested to know why struggling golf clubs do not do this.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think accessible 9 hole courses is a great way to play, and terrific for those who are time poor, as well as an easier access route for new and returning players. It can of course be a loop of a 18 hole course, but perhaps a club can offer a reduced green fee for just 9 holes for visitors? I don't think many do.

I also think that clubs with space could set up 9 hole par 3 courses to complement their 18 hole main course offering. The 9 hole can be cheapish to play, no dress code, and becomes a gateway to the bigger game for those who want it, as well as a great way for members to practice their short game. Would the costs of that be significant? I wouldn't have thought so as they already are looking after 18 holes, but I'd be interested to know. Then, make the clubhouse accessible to all, members, players, visitors, anyone who wants to, to buy a meal and a drink.

I'm genuinely interested to know why struggling golf clubs do not do this.

Perhaps clubs without space for an extra 9 could consider an offer of a 9 hole membership from their existing 18 holes (after all if clubs can offer 5 day membership instead of 7 specifically to accommodate folks who forfeit playing at weekends, why not offer 9 holes instead of 18 for those prepared to forfeit half the full size course)
Make it the back 9 and for most of the year, even playing at weekends, it wont affect the folk playing full medals at many clubs

maxy33

Visit site
Perhaps clubs without space for an extra 9 could consider an offer of a 9 hole membership from their existing 18 holes (after all if clubs can offer 5 day membership instead of 7 specifically to accommodate folks who forfeit playing at weekends, why not offer 9 holes instead of 18 for those prepared to forfeit half the full size course)
Make it the back 9 and for most of the year, even playing at weekends, it wont affect the folk playing full medals at many clubs

Totally agree with this.

I also think clubs need to be fairer about their pricing of 9 holes - a lot of the places I've asked have been full 18 holes price / 2 + a random amount!
I'd love to take my son for 9 most nights, and if it was about £10 I would, but it's usually more than that.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think pitch and putt courses are the best way to bring new people into the game.

On a different note, it is rumoured that Deangate Ridge may be re-opening, with something to do with an unknown covenant placed on the land when it was given to the council by the MOD requiring the land to be used for sport. As a result it's felt easier to keep it as a golf course.:)
Heres hoping

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I can never see a time when you'll get 12 or 14 hole courses and to be honest by the time you've committed the time to play 14 holes you may as well play 18. Is there really a stigma towards 9 hole courses. Well designed with two distinct set of tees can provide a varied challenge and there are loads of great ones about. Didn't GM (or maybe someone else) do a feature on some of the best in the UK

I believe there is a stigma in that people tend to join 9 hole courses solely on a budget basis. And these obviously tend not to be celebrated courses or courses with a top designer.

Completely agree with the point about 12 holes. I feel this would be the ideal number of holes in a lot of cases. 12 would be far better as people could play a lot more competition golf midweek. You could tee off about 7:30 / 8pm and get a medal round or a matchplay in. Guys with work / families could play a lot more 'proper' golf through May to September.

Clubs would still have a good variety of holes with 12 but would have to maintain less land and fees would be adjusted.

Problem with this is it still costs the same to maintain the 18 holes and the key point is a club is limited by the number of guys on the 1st tee. So you would devalue 18 hole membership if guys are turning up and there 8 guys on the 1st tee playing 9 holes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Problem with this is it still costs the same to maintain the 18 holes and the key point is a club is limited by the number of guys on the 1st tee. So you would devalue 18 hole membership if guys are turning up and there 8 guys on the 1st tee playing 9 holes.

Not really any different to having to maintain a course for 7 days for a group with 5 day membership
And as I suggested it would make most sense for any 9 hole membership to be restricted to the back 9 which would cut out any problem on the 1st tee

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think you will ever lose 18 hole course.

What may happen is that doing 6, 12, or 18 holes will become the norm rather than 9, or 18.

6 holes allows for a very quick blast around, doesn't take long at all and so clubs could run evening comps quite late into the year, 12 is a good amount, I often feel like 9 isn't quite enough sometimes but I don't fancy a full 18, 12 would fill that gap nicely. And then 18 holes for comps or those wanting a full day out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree with this.

I also think clubs need to be fairer about their pricing of 9 holes - a lot of the places I've asked have been full 18 holes price / 2 + a random amount!
I'd love to take my son for 9 most nights, and if it was about £10 I would, but it's usually more than that.
I am pretty sure we offer 9 hole rates these days after 5.30 which would be ideal for taking youngsters/visitors onto a course in the evening when it is quieter and get them into golf.

I don't see pitch and putts as an answer. They take considerable space most clubs won't have and in my experience, a lot of council owned ones are never kept to a reasonable standard especially the greens. That said, places that do have them attached (Hoebridge being an example, Sandown Park another) have made them into good mini courses and perfect for younger kids in particular. If you can find one locally in good nick they would represent a cheap and easy to play introduction

Whilst I can see a logic to clubs offering a 9 hole membership, I fear many would be reticent as it is surely open to abuse. Who will ensure this category of member stop after 9 and don't play a full 18 (in the same way as do clubs check 5 day members aren't on the course at weekends)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really any different to having to maintain a course for 7 days for a group with 5 day membership
And as I suggested it would make most sense for any 9 hole membership to be restricted to the back 9 which would cut out any problem on the 1st tee

It just defers the problem and you end up getting held up on the back 9, which is arguably even more frustrating.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see pitch and putts as an answer. They take considerable space most clubs won't have and in my experience, a lot of council owned ones are never kept to a reasonable standard especially the greens.
They dont have to be to a "good course standard", just being there and a place for non-players to grab an interest in the game at it's almost very thinnest tip. Sew the interest and enjoyment at an early easy stage, and then watch it grow. Without putting greens, crazy golf and p&p, golf will not get the amount of new players it will need in time.