Golf clubs low on membership

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
''You will need to submit sufficient cards to provide scores for 54 holes of golf, which must be 9 hole or 18 hole scores. Once you have submitted these scores your Handicap Committee will allot you a handicap.''
That would be for a CONGU handicap...the EGA don't do it that way.

Visit site
In follow up to an earlier post - I finally joined the local course over here in Italy as a full member
Process could not have been easier - no interview or even talking to a playing member - more or less hand over the money (at least there was no joining fee) + join the Italian Golf Federation

Need to have some form of session with the pro before i can play in any competition - 30 minutes on the range I think - hope there is not a rules test in there

Then I think I start with an EGA handicap of 54
I assume I can then play in QF's over the next few weeks - not sure how many I need to play as a minimum to allow me to establish something a bit more realistic o_O
You'll get you handicap after you've played 3 QF rounds.

What was the cost to join if you don't mind me asking?

No joining fee - annual membership is 1,300 Euros (plus various add-ons for personal locker and club storage)
Pricey but it's Italy where golf is more expensive (plus I'm remarkably cheap in my vices) - its roughly equivalent to the annual cat & dog grooming fees!

What on earth do you base this on? To my mind its wrong on both reference points - its 1 round rather than 3 and won't be whatever is indicated by a QF round either.

Duncan, without sounding thick ( again). What is the criteria to getting a hcap. I thought when you started from scratch/ the beginning 😉Bob, it was three rounds and the best score from those with a bit of fettling.
The pedants' heads will be exploding ;)

Just seen it 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The criteria will be as laid down from time to time by the issuing authority.
In this instance that is the EGA who are responsible for handicapping for clubs in the Italian Golf Federation, as laid out in the post.
Their current basis is laid out in section 3.11 of their manual.
They work from 18 holes of scores played under handicap conditions (if you only play 9 holes they will still allocate a handicap using the 9 hole stableford adjustment system)...and away you go.
Get them in, get them started and let the enjoyment begin 😎

The OP stays in Italy, not sure if EGA or CONGU rules will relevant be there, will they ?.

In reply to all of this - yes I am effectively starting from scratch (last official hcp was as a Junior at Bellshill circa 1981) - an Italian based hcp is long overdue
NB they did ask if I had any paperwork from my last handicap - williamalex - can you ask at the club if they still have mine stored anywhere :p

It was all confusing to me what may be required - I had also assumed it would be 3 rounds but it does seem from the EGA literature it may be just one round (and perhaps just one 9-hole round) as an initial allocation
It is a 9-hole course (par 30 - six par 3s and three par 4's - CR = 31, SL=113) - 2 of the par 3's are 200 yards uphill (one with a lake at the front left!!)

I will just go with it - the main thing is to get a number to work with (and enjoy I guess)
My last two 9-hole rounds - played deliberately off the back tees were 38 and 36 - but I don't want to start 'beginning to believe' on this basis
Lets see what the golf-gods shall bestow

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
With a lot of clubs reporting dips in membership or having capacity to allow more members, are you clubs doing anything to attract new members?

If not what do you think they should be doing?

We don’t do anything actively, we are attracting new members consistently from neighbouring clubs due to the quality of the course, which I know will be subjective, plus also because of issues (problems) at those clubs that they don’t feel will change, and so naturally move.

Although we are slightly just under our full allocation, our 7-day membership is full imo as the course is becoming congested at times and booking in for comps has become a race at the time the Comp opens to get a suitable tee time.

Our categories are unbalanced, in that, as social members, seniors and 5-day members pass on or leave, the new members to replace them have all been 7-day members, so it looks like we will have to restrict that category on its own.

The only thing we did in the last 12 - 18 months, which has divided opinion massively, has been the removal of our joining fee.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
a few things have led to the declining trend of membership,
Increase in cost for membership
time consuming , 18 holes take too long
Smoking bans
alcohol reduction, cant have a pint anymore before you leave , you will be over the limit
no juniors coming through, they would rather play online golf on the computer

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
with an ageing population, I'm still not sure why clubs continue to reduce membership fees for under 40's. clubs IMO should be targeting older people,who have more time more money.
i wasn't the slightest bit interested in playing when i was under 40 and i can't be an isolated case.

So you can't figure out why it benefits a club to get a potential lifetime member in their 20s instead of one in their 60s?

Also as you've said older people have more time, so they can use the course more often. More use = more upkeep cost.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you can't figure out why it benefits a club to get a potential lifetime member in their 20s instead of one in their 60s?

Also as you've said older people have more time, so they can use the course more often. More use = more upkeep cost.
I think Patrick was meaning more reduced rates for mid week membership for older people, leaving weekends free for you young bucks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

all the under 40 are paying h half what a full member pays,give me 20 years of full fee against someone playing half until they reach 40 then give up anyway, 😃 or go to another club f or a cheaper deal

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
all the under 40 are paying h half what a full member pays,give me 20 years of full fee against someone playing half until they reach 40 then give up anyway, 😃 or go to another club f or a cheaper deal
Where can I play for half the fee until I'm 40, im 28 and pay 60% until I'm 30 then it's full. Might give up my other course at that point but probably not

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
No joining fee - annual membership is 1,300 Euros (plus various add-ons for personal locker and club storage)
Pricey but it's Italy where golf is more expensive (plus I'm remarkably cheap in my vices) - its roughly equivalent to the annual cat & dog grooming fees!

In reply to all of this - yes I am effectively starting from scratch (last official hcp was as a Junior at Bellshill circa 1981) - an Italian based hcp is long overdue
NB they did ask if I had any paperwork from my last handicap - williamalex - can you ask at the club if they still have mine stored anywhere :p

It was all confusing to me what may be required - I had also assumed it would be 3 rounds but it does seem from the EGA literature it may be just one round (and perhaps just one 9-hole round) as an initial allocation
It is a 9-hole course (par 30 - six par 3s and three par 4's - CR = 31, SL=113) - 2 of the par 3's are 200 yards uphill (one with a lake at the front left!!)

I will just go with it - the main thing is to get a number to work with (and enjoy I guess)
My last two 9-hole rounds - played deliberately off the back tees were 38 and 36 - but I don't want to start 'beginning to believe' on this basis
Lets see what the golf-gods shall bestow

Apologies if it’s answered already where In Italy are you? Was it the hill on 16th at bellshill that took it out of you and you decided to retire to sunnier climates

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

At my course there are two categories. Over 40 and under 40. Prices £600 and £790. I'm in the under 40 category and I wouldn't be getting a membership if it was £790. At £600 I will. That's 12 months of me playing that course where I can get used to the environment, and meet people meaning I'm more likely to renew the year after. It's common sense marketing really.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
At my course there are two categories. Over 40 and under 40. Prices £600 and £790. I'm in the under 40 category and I wouldn't be getting a membership if it was £790. At £600 I will. That's 12 months of me playing that course where I can get used to the environment, and meet people meaning I'm more likely to renew the year after. It's common sense marketing really.
So what are you going to do when you reach 40?

Visit site
Apologies If it's been mentioned before, the club I used to be a member at is an 1895 club. A really good reciprocal arrangement with other 1895 clubs worldwide.
My old club, Mullion in the Uk was on the 1895 reciprocal scheme. I used it to play Ipswich a couple of times and saved myself a fair chunk in green fees. What was your club if you don’t mind me asking?

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
So what are you going to do when you reach 40?

Have progressed in my career and be earning a higher salary, and not be saving for a mortgage deposit so I'll have more money to spend on a hobby.

Also worth mentioning that the younger members may be more likely to want the latest clubs from the big brands, and so could bring more money into the club through the pro shop.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies if it’s answered already where In Italy are you? Was it the hill on 16th at bellshill that took it out of you and you decided to retire to sunnier climates
You pussies in Hamilton don't know what a hill is :ROFLMAO:, BTW a few of your low h/c guys have returned to face the Hill at Bellshill after a couple of years exile in the flat wet lands :devilish:.
Anytime you fancy a climb give me a Bell, :love:

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
You pussies in Hamilton don't know what a hill is :ROFLMAO:, BTW a few of your low h/c guys have returned to face the Hill at Bellshill after a couple of years exile in the flat wet lands :devilish:.
Anytime you fancy a climb give me a Bell, :love:

Bellshill is a great course nothing quite as exhilarating as trying to drive the pond at 4 knowing if you don’t the splash will wake up the local delinquents fishing for golf balls?! I do like bellshill all joking aside other than the hill at 16 where I’ve found a dead mountain goat or 2 percent

Ps wetlands? Those days are gone that new drainage Robertson group paid for means the course is so dry we might need sprinklers :p:ROFLMAO: