Golf clubs low on membership

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not great reading but thankfully we seem to be bucking the trend as we are full for male membership with a waiting list and contemplating re introducing a joining fee .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not great reading but thankfully we seem to be bucking the trend as we are full for male membership with a waiting list and contemplating re introducing a joining fee .

Think I am in the same boat as you re our club, however some players are still stuck in there ways. Don't just think the blame lies with clubs. That aside Germany has increasing club membership. Wonder what they are doing differant for that to happen. As sure as eggs is eggs, al bet no one from the UK pops over to make a few enquiries.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah... shocking.... gonna take some turning around..... radical thinking of some kind required... & I'm not sure the Trad Golf Clubs are capable of doing it.
Not sure what's shocking, or whether it's even a problem - let alone one that desperately requires turning round.

Taking a couple of stats from it and looking at it a different way; England has had a higher increase in New courses in percentage terms than it has had a fall in 'registered' players.
Taken together with the fact that the reported numbers are the cumulative club membership returns (without adjustment for multiple memberships) as well as not accounting for non members, and you don't really have any firm basis for the statement that participation in English golf has really changed at all - and some evidence that it's seen as being able to support increased supply (although the new courses may well have been offset by those closing down!).

On the other hand it could also be argued that the percentages in England and Scotland are higher than can probably be realistically sustained anyway.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve recently joined a golf club for the very first time, and 2 months in, it’s not been a great experience. I don’t know anyone at the club. I’ve played in all of the comps to try and get ‘in’ and although I’ve got on well enough with playing partners, gone in for a beer after each round and have been added to a WhatsApp group of some 20+ members, I’m not getting asked to join in roll ups.

The official fourball is coming up, I’ve asked on the WhatsApp group if anyone wants to partner up, didn’t even get a response. I’ve texted the captain twice to ask for help but he hasn’t even acknowledged them, despite responding to other texts about comps, fees etc.

I’ve asked the pro shop to help, all I get is ‘we’ll ask around’ but nothing ever comes of it. I emailed the pro yesterday to formally ask for help with the winter pairs series, again he says he’ll try and help but I’m not holding my breath.

If this is how it is everywhere else, I’m not surprised membership isn’t decreasing, and I probably won’t bother next year.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Sad to hear. I've been a member at 4 clubs in my golfing life and I've seen similar at one, but generally that's the exception in my experience.

2 months might not be long, but after a while Id consider leaving if decent local alternatives are available.

If the club requires notice to leave, give it and state reasons....see what happens.

But 2 months isn't very long.....good luck

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I’ve recently joined a golf club for the very first time, and 2 months in, it’s not been a great experience. I don’t know anyone at the club. I’ve played in all of the comps to try and get ‘in’ and although I’ve got on well enough with playing partners, gone in for a beer after each round and have been added to a WhatsApp group of some 20+ members, I’m not getting asked to join in roll ups.

The official fourball is coming up, I’ve asked on the WhatsApp group if anyone wants to partner up, didn’t even get a response. I’ve texted the captain twice to ask for help but he hasn’t even acknowledged them, despite responding to other texts about comps, fees etc.

I’ve asked the pro shop to help, all I get is ‘we’ll ask around’ but nothing ever comes of it. I emailed the pro yesterday to formally ask for help with the winter pairs series, again he says he’ll try and help but I’m not holding my breath.

If this is how it is everywhere else, I’m not surprised membership isn’t decreasing, and I probably won’t bother next year.

That's poor. How big are the roll-up groups?

My club used to be good for roll-ups but once we went to on-line tee booking they became less easy to organise.

Having said that though I find on-line booking great as I can just drop into a free space. I don't like playing in a regular fourball or threeball as I find they're restrictive, my preference is to play with as many different people as I can, which at the same time helps in integrating into the club. It takes a while but eventually it happens.

Re the official fourball, maybe try asking a few people face-to-face about partnering? It's easy to ignore a general WhatsApp request but asking directly will get you an answer one way or the other, and if people are already paired up they might know someone who isn't or ask around on your behalf.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We seems to be bucking the trend with over 40 new members last year and more joining.

While our course doesn’t have the best overall layout, the condition is one of the best in the area and it’s the most relaxed club to match. Our roll up is open to everyone without any restrictions to gender and an average turn up is 35-40.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our committee are now younger guys who are trying to change things for the better, and doing a grand job (y)
We recently changed to a Public house / Restaurant licence, which allows non members to book the lounge for meals and functions or just pop in for a drink. Seems to be working the lounge is busy most days.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Our committee are now younger guys who are trying to change things for the better, and doing a grand job (y)
We recently changed to a Public house / Restaurant licence, which allows non members to book the lounge for meals and functions or just pop in for a drink. Seems to be working the lounge is busy most days.
Any restrictions on dress. ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Two months isn’t that long really.
Our roll ups are exactly that 11am mon,wed fri. Anyone can play.
It’s a great way to meet people .
So hang in there ,don’t forget the weather has been crap people won’t commit when it’s like this.

We have meets for new players.
Put a notice on the notice board asking if someone wants to play ,there maybe another member in your position.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have had a good year for new joiners and our junior membership has grown significantly.
Just wondering if nationally there has been an increase in membership this year to buck the recent trend.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Two months isn’t that long really.
Our roll ups are exactly that 11am mon,wed fri. Anyone can play.
It’s a great way to meet people .
So hang in there ,don’t forget the weather has been crap people won’t commit when it’s like this.

We have meets for new players.
Put a notice on the notice board asking if someone wants to play ,there maybe another member in your position.

Two months isn't long, no help response from fellow members, pro and captain??? I'd be taking my custom elsewhere.

I recently moved clubs and my welcome has been tremendous. From the initial welcome/introduction game with a couple of council members, to the starter and club steward both taking the time to come and introduce themselves to me due to not knowing my face. Both also told me if I need any help not to hesitate to approach them. The pro has also been extremely pleasant and helpful. I also turned up at the Saturday morning sweep (roll up I think is your equivalent) and was made more than welcome.

That's what a good members club is all about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a grim post by timd77. I'm with Jacko on his response, if it didn't improve I'd be off.

Clubs have to be welcoming. It's a buyer's market right now and if the overall product isn't good enough there are plenty of alternatives to jump to.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I’ve asked about roll ups, they’re during the week, which is no good for me as I work.

I guess it is still early days and the weather won’t have helped. I’m just feeling a bit frustrated, especially because most of the upcoming official comps are either four balls or the winter pairs series, and so if I can’t find a playing partner, I won’t be able to join in, meaning very little competitive golf until spring, and subsequently fewer chances of playing with a range of members.

I know I could just ask people face to face if I can join in, but I’m not the most confident chap to do that.

I think if I’d joined in the spring I would’ve had a good 6 months to get involved, and would by now know people to arrange games with during the winter.

I’m mainly frustrated at the club and captain. I thought their job was to help with this sort of thing!

Ps - I can’t bugger off because it’s a fairway credit membership type thing.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
thankfully we seem to be bucking the trend

It’s not clubs like yours that are at risk. You likely have a quality product in a reasonable location and a healthy pool of customers.

If your club a 27 hole complex is in the middle of nowhere, where there is already a high quality club but can still get away charging £15 for 18 holes and somehow not going under... then you would be bucking the trend.

There are only so many golfers who can be members, so many other distractions in life.

These clubs could reinvent themselves and survive but never as 18 hole member clubs with joining fees.

We need shorter courses, fewer holes and easier and cheaper to run and maintain clubs. Make them affordable all around and open to the huge market of nomad or infrequent golfer who can’t commit to a yearly sub for barley 6 or 7 rounds over a summer.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s not clubs like yours that are at risk. You likely have a quality product in a reasonable location and a healthy pool of customers.

If your club a 27 hole complex is in the middle of nowhere, where there is already a high quality club but can still get away charging £15 for 18 holes and somehow not going under... then you would be bucking the trend.

There are only so many golfers who can be members, so many other distractions in life.

These clubs could reinvent themselves and survive but never as 18 hole member clubs with joining fees.

We need shorter courses, fewer holes and easier and cheaper to run and maintain clubs. Make them affordable all around and open to the huge market of nomad or infrequent golfer who can’t commit to a yearly sub for barley 6 or 7 rounds over a summer.

I think cheaper courses are key. Britain isn't exactly a prosperous flourishing economy now, wages have stagnated while inflation and costs creep upwards year on year which is seriously hitting Joe Public in the pocket. Luxury past times are not affordable to many now.

Golf is expensive and time consuming with selfish attitudes. It'll continue to fall in popularity in Britain is my assessment.