Golf Clubs in Preston area

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fairhaven? ....for me one of the most over-rated courses in the area.

How do you think people rate Fairhaven? I dont think anyone would put it in with Hillside, Formby etc, but I'd say it was in with Preston, Pleasington and Hesketh as a similar standard.

If it had bigger and better elevation changes, It put 10-12 of the holes up against Formby.:eek:

Again, no right or wrong answer, but where would you rate it in comparison to other NW courses?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How do you think people rate Fairhaven? I dont think anyone would put it in with Hillside, Formby etc, but I'd say it was in with Preston, Pleasington and Hesketh as a similar standard.

If it had bigger and better elevation changes, It put 10-12 of the holes up against Formby.:eek:

Again, no right or wrong answer, but where would you rate it in comparison to other NW courses?

I'd put Fairhaven and Pleasington about the same level, Preston beneath them and Hesketh after that. But I'm not a fan of Hesketh at all.

I like Fairhaven though, very nice track. I'd definitely get my name on the waiting list if I lived closer.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd put Fairhaven and Pleasington about the same level, Preston beneath them and Hesketh after that. But I'm not a fan of Hesketh at all.

I like Fairhaven though, very nice track. I'd definitely get my name on the waiting list if I lived closer.

I agree with them ratings. The holes over the road at Hesketh are rubbish which lets it down imo.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yes Hesketh isn't top class, cos of the 5-6 that let it down, about 12 holes are very good though.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I quite like Hesketh,always enjoy the day there,although as a course its nothing special. The one hole that always sticks in my head is the 5th..it really lets the place down. The one with the small lake at the side, I can't believe they haven't managed to do anything with that hole over the years.
The £1800 iirc joining fee always blows me away also,The locals must pay it though, it must decent on the club side of things to attract members and the clubhouse/facilities are good.

I think its hard to rate a lot of these courses against one another as they're so different. Id say we're pretty lucky in the NW with the amount of quality courses and variety of courses.. World class links, lots of good moorland,a few heathland and a hell of a lot of good parkland. (Maybe not as lucky as Scotland though ;))

Also the availability of membership at a reasonable price.Barring the 3 Royals and maybe the likes of Delamere and Ormskirk I think membership at most clubs is pretty open at a reasonable price nowadays.
I wonder if this will ever be the case in Surrey & Berkshire if golf courses in general continue to struggle attracting members..

Last edited:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoy playing Hesketh, always think if there was more land round the clubhouse it could be one of the best 9 hole courses in the country, the holes surrounding the clubhouse are very good.

Agree with Qwerty re the courses in the NW. Before I met you bunch of sharks I'd hardly played any but there are loads of good courses round here.

Still expensive to me with my Scottish frame of reference but good value compared to other areas of England.

You missed "Royal" Fleetwood from your list of Royal courses Dave..... :whistle:

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

I'm not saying it's a bad course, far from it. I just can't see why a lot of folk rave about it. It's expensive, flat, with few (if any) memorable holes, can't make it's mind up if it's links or parkland and pretty stuffy and snobby to boot. However, on the plus side it is in great condition all year round. Enjoy playing the odd invitation but all my golf? I'd go for Preston/Pleasington every time and I'd agree most of the Southport courses are better together with St Annes Old Links down the road.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not saying it's a bad course, far from it. I just can't see why a lot of folk rave about it. It's expensive, flat, with few (if any) memorable holes, can't make it's mind up if it's links or parkland and pretty stuffy and snobby to boot. However, on the plus side it is in great condition all year round. Enjoy playing the odd invitation but all my golf? I'd go for Preston/Pleasington every time and I'd agree most of the Southport courses are better together with St Annes Old Links down the road.

Don't think folk do rave about it do they? SAOL is the one that gets talked up round here mainly and is probably a better course, I just enjoy playing fairhaven more hence I joined there.

My first year as a member but I haven't found it stuffy or snobby (yet at least) although, by dint of the population in Lytham, there are some members I could see this from. Fees are actually good value in comparison to some other clubs I looked at round here and what you get in terms of reciprocals and free range balls etc etc.

I agree re links/parkland but I actually like that about it, is pretty flat though.

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm breaking my SAOL cherry next year.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, as a course, its immensely better looking in Summer than Winter. Most courses are, but its especially the case at SAOL

liam_11

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to advise me on the courses in and around Preston. I have looked into all the suggestions you have made and I feel Preston GC would tick all the right boxes in terms of location and standard of course. I am going to be living in Cottam.

Would anybody who is a member at Preston GC get in touch if they fancy a round next month?

Liam

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to advise me on the courses in and around Preston. I have looked into all the suggestions you have made and I feel Preston GC would tick all the right boxes in terms of location and standard of course. I am going to be living in Cottam.

Would anybody who is a member at Preston GC get in touch if they fancy a round next month?

Liam

Its a No brainier from Cottam Liam. Hope you enjoy it :thup:

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Liam

PM sent Liam.

the snookster

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys and girls
ive just taken up golf again after many years out of playing
im looking to get some lessons in and join a club around Preston I live next door to fishwick hall but not sure if it's the right club for me but while I'm looking I'd like to make new friends and play different courses if you don't mind playing with a leftie 😀
Rob

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I loved playing at Preston Golf Club a few years back with the NW lads, it really offers a bit of everything, my only disappointment was the 18th, after a great 17th hole you walk up the slope to a bit of a nothing bland finishing hole, other than that its a great parkland course.

Make sure your battery is in tip top condition, its a bit hilly in parts.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Come and have a nosey down at Ashton and lea, friendliest club in the area and has some of the best greens in the county:)

the few lefties we do have at the club are good players ( mostly single figures) even the club pro Dan.

oh one heads up is out of bounds on the right , so the course will be perfect for you if you have a big slice ;)