Golf clubs in Leeds to join

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh yes N Leeds is a world away from Durham/Nothumberland prices.
MoorAllerton is £1600pa but is usually only playable for 8 or 9 months of the year as are many others. Its horses for courses as they say.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Rich

I know what you're saying, and understand
But I'm basing my comment on the
Annual subs at £980...
Visitor green fees £25....

Got to play almost 7 games per month to be ahead, and during this current situation of 2balls, courses and tee times are going to be scarce for a while yet

Besides....... Move it north another county and the same place is £695 for the full year

( no offence Dave)

Aye, but 1 game a weekend for 5 months (Say 22) is £770, so you're £75 in at that point. Odd midweek game, you can presumably book as a member, get a handicap, maybe play in comps? I see it as a good offer for the right person. And your ears will only bleed for 5 months if Dave's about... ;)

Sorry Dave :D

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aye, but 1 game a weekend for 5 months (Say 22) is £770, so you're £75 in at that point. Odd midweek game, you can presumably book as a member, get a handicap, maybe play in comps? I see it as a good offer for the right person. And your ears will only bleed for 5 months if Dave's about... ;)

Sorry Dave :D

That's what I mean mate....

There was no * asterisk at the bottom
A disclaimer
Regarding Wor Dave

They could atleast warn them..... ?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe we all use the same mathematics though ?
140 is just one game per weekend at 35 quid. Any more games per month and it's cheaper than paying green fees.

Defenitely not mate

Up here in Northumberland
£140 per month gets you a membership bag tag at any club except close house

Besides nobody ever pays the advertised green fees anywhere
There's always deals everywhere

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha.... that'll be Otterburn then...... even the squaddies can't wait to get out :eek:(y)

Oh aye
Otterburn
Hardly typical of northumberland mind is it
Middle of nowhere
Drive through and if you blink you miss it

Do you still have that CAR WASH facility in your Golf Club car park...??
?????

That was defenitely a 1st for me mind at a golf club
But....... Hey Ho..... It is Yorkshire lad

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh aye
Otterburn
Hardly typical of northumberland mind is it
Middle of nowhere
Drive through and if you blink you miss it

Do you still have that CAR WASH facility in your Golf Club car park...??
?????

That was defenitely a 1st for me mind at a golf club
But....... Hey Ho..... It is Yorkshire lad
Well...... if you're only playing at down-market spots you won't often see the kind of facilities that we just take for granted...... Car Valet service, 12 hole Par 3, 14 TopTracer booths, & the best practice facilities in the area as well as a 12mnth of the year usable course.
Anyone taking out that, seemingly expensive, Summer membership deal is likely to be offered the next 18mnths for £1K. See..... there's more than meets the eye. Wakey, wakey! :eek::eek:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well...... if you're only playing at down-market spots you won't often see the kind of facilities that we just take for granted...... Car Valet service, 12 hole Par 3, 14 TopTracer booths, & the best practice facilities in the area as well as a 12mnth of the year usable course.
Anyone taking out that, seemingly expensive, Summer membership deal is likely to be offered the next 18mnths for £1K. See..... there's more than meets the eye. Wakey, wakey! :eek::eek:

Wakey Wakey.....??

I'm wide awake dave
I just tend to rate value for money for golf clubs by their courses and not their car wash facilities?
Otherwise you'd make the GM top 100

Now I'm out mate
We've had our fun?

Gotta go feed the pigeons now

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wakey Wakey.....??

I'm wide awake dave
I just tend to rate value for money for golf clubs by their courses and not their car wash facilities?
Otherwise you'd make the GM top 100

Now I'm out mate
We've had our fun?

Gotta go feed the pigeons now
Now that's an idea..... lofts in the car park.... behind the car wash so's not to offend :D:D

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently live in Cheshire and I am a member of a local course. At the end of May I will be moving to Leeds - city centre, 5 mins from the train station.

Please could people recommend a club to join in the Leeds area. I will not always have a car to hand (living in city centre so not much need for a car) so a club that isn't too expensive to get to in a taxi would be ideal.

Used to play off 10 but slowly getting back into the game. Up for a challenging course.

Many thanks.
If you really want to 'test the waters' so to speak there's currently a chance to get tee times at MoorAllerton for £30. Not the hardest course in Leeds but IMO 'the best test of golf' in Summer in the Leeds area, but pretty much unplayable from Oct to March.
To be honest, in your situation, the best option IMO would be Leeds Golf Club (Cobble Hall). Another that's not great in winter but quite an acceptable track in Summer. They operate a Points system which should suit your situation & are just a £12 Uber fare from town. From there you can begin to make your own assessments...... & remember to offer of a round at Wike is always available. Incidentally, whats your current course in Cheshire?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you really want to 'test the waters' so to speak there's currently a chance to get tee times at MoorAllerton for £30. Not the hardest course in Leeds but IMO 'the best test of golf' in Summer in the Leeds area, but pretty much unplayable from Oct to March.
To be honest, in your situation, the best option IMO would be Leeds Golf Club (Cobble Hall). They operate a Points system which should suit your situation & are just a £12 Uber fare from town.
I agree with the above, MA is nearly twice as far and IMO is physically more demanding.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's the best low cost option for a beginner in the South Leeds /Wakefield area? My mate has just retired and is looking for a 5 day membership that won't break the bank. He tried Gotts Park the other day, but was put off somewhat by the groups of chavs sunbathing in the bunkers!

dronfield

Visit site
Also forgot to mention, but you can get to Sandmoor, Moortown and Alwoodley by bus. Bit cheaper

Ive played Moortown a few times because a mate is a member - excellent course. I think the annual subs will be pretty high, and i believe they still have a joining fee.
Moor Allerton and Headingley are both good recommendations.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the best low cost option for a beginner in the South Leeds /Wakefield area?
In order of proximity to Leeds - Howley Hall, Normanton, Low Laithes, Wakefield GC, *Wakefield City, Waterton Park

All the others are pretty good. Have played and officiated at them all but Howley Hall is probably my preferred.
* Municipal - never been there

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In order of proximity to Leeds - Howley Hall, Normanton, Low Laithes, Wakefield GC, *Wakefield City, Waterton Park

All the others are pretty good. Have played and officiated at them all but Howley Hall is probably my preferred.
* Municipal - never been there
Thanks, have passed that on.