Golf Clothing (Loyalty to brands for value for money)

shane3003

Visit site
I’m brand loyal now but wasn’t when I started out. I only really buy Galvin Green, but when I started out I didn’t have a clue about golf brands. Headed down to American Golf on recommendation to initially get kitted out, tried lots of different brands on and thought the GG was the best.

I’ve been impressed with quality every single time and the clever touches to their garments. I’ve still got my first pair of GG trousers which are 6 years old and look great despite washing them to death!

Would I be tempted to try other brands, maybe but probably not ?‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not loyal to any particular brands - but I tend to go for good brands when they're on offer and cheaper, rather than just buying cheap brands. I have bought some cheap brands in the past but they don't last as well - things like Island Green, good price for their polos, but loads of loose threads on the seams and stuff so not top quality. But generally I look for value for money, I wouldn't go and pay £50 for a polo just because it's Adidas or whatever.

D

Deleted member 21258

I'm your man, I'm brand loyal buy Dunlop and Slazenger, but have bought Ashworth, whatever is the cheapest at Sportsdirect. Is that wrong or is that okay:whistle:

sunshine

Visit site
If you already have your factories in Bangladesh/China, your worldwide contacts and distribution systems set up, you might have the tiniest fraction of a chance of breaking into a market that thousands have already tried to conquer.
If not, I wouldn't bother.

It is very competitive, but to be fair, in the last 20 years Under Armour and now Gymshark have demonstrated that you can take on the giants like Nike and Adidas. Also in respect to golf, J Lindeberg and Peter Millar have successfully broken into the golf market as independent brands without having heavyweight support behind them.

sunshine

Visit site
In regards to the OP, I wouldn't say I am loyal to a brand, but I favour certain brands because I know they fit me (e.g. Puma fits me well, Ping doesn't).

I would try a new brand if it was good quality and had a discreet logo. I find it strange when I see poor quality garments plastered with bold logos. The wearer is advertising that they have no style!

Good luck with your venture!

sunshine

Visit site
My my. Read this thread and it conforms with the stuck up golf image within first 10 posts.

????

Fragger has already answered this pretty well, but the first 10 posts show me a wide range of views: some people preferred the premium brands and others the budget brands, with the general consensus that it's possible to get what you like at different price points but you pay more for better quality.

There's nothing stuck up at all here, but that doesn't suit your agenda. No war but the class war - workers of the world unite!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not brand loyal and in general I am reckoned to have poor dress sense particularly by my wife.
For me if it's clean, comfortable and fits thats good but if the weather is hot/cold / wet or whatever it has to keep me comfortable in those conditions.
My waterproofs are proquip and seem to do a good job, my shirts are whatever my my mother in law has bought for me as I always get golf shirts for xmas/b,days.
As she is a keen golfer and likes to support her pro shop these are usually decent brands.
Trousers are not golf specific.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like UA it’s middle of the road price wise but it fits me well.
Some brands especially the athletic fit is a no no.
I do like Oscar Jacobson golf stuff but it’s expensive.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I mainly wear Footjoy clothing , find the fit nice and colour choice good.

Trousers and shorts Under Armour

Have recently purchased a number of Peter Miller tops - really nice

At the end of the day though there many different brands that can be purchased from the cheap and cheerful to the stupidly expensive stuff.

They do some really nice Peter Millar tops at The Machrie Phil, you ought to get yourself up there ;) (y)

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just buy top brand golf shirts at knockdown prices. If you are happy to have last years colours ... and who the hell knows the difference ... you can pick up Ping, Callaway and other top brands for half price or less on eBay

Zig

Visit site
I just buy top brand golf shirts at knockdown prices. If you are happy to have last years colours ... and who the hell knows the difference ... you can pick up Ping, Callaway and other top brands for half price or less on eBay
I do the same...
Galvin Green - every time for waterproofs and windjackets, but from the previous range/year. Just have to shop around a bit to find your size. Snainton Golf, Golfbase etc
Under Armour trousers - from their factory shop at York.
RLX - TKMaxx website.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to stick to Ping and Footjoy as I like their designs and they are a good fit. I know of at least one brand who have been trying to break into the market and were producing some good clothing in terms of quality and price but who then got hit hard when Covid came. I got some of their gear, and they are working hard to keep afloat and bounce back. They have only sold online so it shows that it is hard to break through and make a go of it at the best of times and that unless you are offering something different or at a really cheap price (and then how do you match quality v profit) it is going to be a real struggle

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to stick to Ping and Footjoy as I like their designs and they are a good fit. I know of at least one brand who have been trying to break into the market and were producing some good clothing in terms of quality and price but who then got hit hard when Covid came. I got some of their gear, and they are working hard to keep afloat and bounce back. They have only sold online so it shows that it is hard to break through and make a go of it at the best of times and that unless you are offering something different or at a really cheap price (and then how do you match quality v profit) it is going to be a real struggle
Who is it I might have a look.