Golf balls for beginner. Cost vs benefit

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

Been playing few months now and starting to get around a course with more balls afterwards than I started with which is nice. At the beginning anything I was lucky enough to find I'd play with. I bought a load of mixed, 'good condition' lake balls online which have worked for me so far (and I don't cry about if I lose in water or the woods). But now I'm getting a bit snobby and anything that I find which is a bit ropey is being sacrificed as an offering to the water hazard gods in the hope they leave mine alone.

As my swing is starting to get a bit more consistent I'm noticing different behaviours in the balls I use and I'd really like to eliminate as many variables as I can but at the same time I'm not wanting to buy top tier stuff that's gonna put me in a rage when I lose one.

Seems the opinion around lake balls and reconditioned is that they are at best inconsistent, at worst rubbish.

What would you recommend as a still quite affordable new ball suitable for a beginner? I guess I would like something that encourages spin if that is a quality ball design can assist with? Seems a minefield. The low tier companies seem to churn out rubbish and the high end stuff is dear. What's in the middle?

EDIT TO ADD: I particularly like high viz balls. Today they were great against a white overcast sky and amongst leaves. Not sure why they are so expensive though, only a bit of dye!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wilson Staff DX2 and DX3 are both great, probably the best bang for buck balls available. I use them in the winter and ProV1 in the summer.

I used to play with AD333 but after a couple of years I decided they were too firm when putting and chipping.

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. So far I've quite liked the Srixons I've used, even if they have been immersed in water for who knows how long! My chipping could really do with some help getting the ball stopped on the green.

My other gear is Wilson so that also satisfies the OCD part of me. Will look at them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

EDIT TO ADD: I particularly like high viz balls. Today they were great against a white overcast sky and amongst leaves. Not sure why they are so expensive though, only a bit of dye!

Thanks!

If you mean Callaway truvis (football like design) the cost is not in the paint job it's in the construction (3 piece urethane ball)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Players of any ability need to learn the difference between 3 or more piece and 2 piece balls.

The 3 piece balls will virtually always cost more.

When it comes to suggesting balls one of the questions comes down to putting. Have you decided yet if you like a ball that feels soft, medium or hard off the putter?

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They’re not Truvis but you can get Srixon AD333’s in yellow, same price as the white ones. A decent budget/mid range ball, and during the winter will stop on most greens

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This is a very subjective issue. Some of those mentioned above I would only use on the range or in the depths of heavy ground in winter, I suggest go try a few then make your own decision as one's mans meat is another mans poison....as they say.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just bought my first proper balls in yellow; titleist td trusoft £14.50 from sports direct online. Haven’t been to the course to try them yet tho. Although my course is easy to lose balls so I’ll not tee off with them! 🙃

I’ve been using whatever I’ve found on the course so like you have no real clue what difference the ball makes. Have a soft spot for callaways tho!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simply try and buy a sleeve of several brand and see what works. As a rule (not hard and fast) a two piece (AD333, Wilson DX2) will be cheaper than a three piece. At this time of year I'm happy to use a two piece as the greens are soft enough to stop them. Good that the OP Is making progress though and at a stage where he can be a bit choosy. Here's to a good 2018

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just bought my first proper balls in yellow; titleist td trusoft £14.50 from sports direct online. Haven’t been to the course to try them yet tho. Although my course is easy to lose balls so I’ll not tee off with them! 

I’ve been using whatever I’ve found on the course so like you have no real clue what difference the ball makes. Have a soft spot for callaways tho!

Good luck with them. Hope you notice a difference using new balls as I hope to.

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Keep working at it. Are you having any tuition over the winter?

No, I don't really know of anyone local except one who I approached but turns out moved away.

To be honest, having come from other sports where I've over analysed things and had coaching etc I'm quite enjoying not getting too intense with golf. I watch a few videos and try different things, bit of self discovery.