Golf balls for beginner. Cost vs benefit

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No, I don't really know of anyone local except one who I approached but turns out moved away.

To be honest, having come from other sports where I've over analysed things and had coaching etc I'm quite enjoying not getting too intense with golf. I watch a few videos and try different things, bit of self discovery.

Nothing wrong with that. Plenty on here have gone down the same path and become very competent golfers

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Just bought my first proper balls in yellow; titleist td trusoft £14.50 from sports direct online. Haven’t been to the course to try them yet tho. Although my course is easy to lose balls so I’ll not tee off with them! 🙃

!

You might get pulled up if you do this, not allowed to swap balls in the middle of a hole, just so you know, ( but I have a feeling you already know this, hence the emoji :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if you have only been playing for a few months it doesnt matter one bit what type or ball you play.

buy differnt clubs instead. buy a hybrid or 3. they will help much more.

enjoy the videos. they really do help.

good luck

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No, I don't really know of anyone local except one who I approached but turns out moved away.

To be honest, having come from other sports where I've over analysed things and had coaching etc I'm quite enjoying not getting too intense with golf. I watch a few videos and try different things, bit of self discovery.

Few good teachers in Kent, not sure where you are but can recommend one in Sevenoaks or one near Ashford dependent on where you are.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a beginner, just buy some Lake Balls.

Far more cost effective and it won't be painful when you see it flying out of bounds.

I'm speaking from experience!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I stopped buying random balls quite quickly. Once your a bit more consistent the ball does make a difference, less so in winter. I would always suggest the DX2/3 range from Wilson. Avery good ball and reasonably priced. I pick up the cosmetic blemishes when available for £9.99 usually. Brand new balls, why pay more for unblemished.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For a beginner, and in the winter, it really makes no odds. You can get a pile of Dunlop Tour Soft for a tenner in Sports Direct and they are pretty good.

RGPaul

Visit site
I haven't read through the entire thread, but as you like SRIXON I'll let you know what I do.

For everyday golf, I would always use A+ Lake balls, which you can get from Ebay for a decent price. I use Soft feels in the summer, and buy SRIXON distance for the winter. As mentioned in an earlier response, it makes no odds really which ball you use in the winter, so that's why I go with something which should in theory travel a little farther... at least that's the theory!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't read through the entire thread, but as you like SRIXON I'll let you know what I do.

For everyday golf, I would always use A+ Lake balls, which you can get from Ebay for a decent price. I use Soft feels in the summer, and buy SRIXON distance for the winter. As mentioned in an earlier response, it makes no odds really which ball you use in the winter, so that's why I go with something which should in theory travel a little farther... at least that's the theory!

It does make a difference, and the two balls you reference are a great example!

The Srixon distance feels hard and clicky at the best of times - approaching freezing it's a rock. Hitting a rock is not a pleasant experience for anyone.

Generally softer balls (lower compression overall rather than just the cover) will fly a little further in lower temperatures. No idea why but it happens.

Just play the soft feel all year round.

D

Deleted member 21258

I still play with any old ball I find or cheap balls I had bought and tbh cant really feel much difference between an expensive one and a modern cheaper ball, distance or feel.

However if you want ot spend the money or if can feel the difference, then go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
I just bought Wilson Tour Velocity - Tour Feel balls. Get 15 in a pack rather than 12 and could take advantage of my Amazon Prime membership for just over 11 quid. Supposed to be soft and help around the green. Who knows. Good or bad I'm hoping I just bought a box of consistency.

http://amzn.eu/69i6BJR

40144585TourvelocityTourFeel.jpg

Last edited:

Felix D. Luke

Visit site
Hey Guys,

I think a beginner should use following Balls, if he is just learning to play Golf:
  • Best Beginner Golf Balls :
    • Callaway Supersoft
    • Nike PD 9
    • Wilson Staff Fifty Elite
    • Srixon Soft Feel
    • TaylorMade Distance Plus
    • Pinnacle Gold
    • Srixon Marathon
When first getting started in the game of golf, there is a lot to learn. You have to find places to play, learn how to swing the club, find people to play with, and much more. In fact, it can be a bit overwhelming if you are a true beginner.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I think a beginner should use following Balls, if he is just learning to play Golf:
  • Best Beginner Golf Balls :
    • Callaway Supersoft
    • Nike PD 9
    • Wilson Staff Fifty Elite
    • Srixon Soft Feel
    • TaylorMade Distance Plus
    • Pinnacle Gold
    • Srixon Marathon
When first getting started in the game of golf, there is a lot to learn. You have to find places to play, learn how to swing the club, find people to play with, and much more. In fact, it can be a bit overwhelming if you are a true beginner.

I really doubt you’d notice much difference.

Personally would stay away from the distance balls as they will likely be harder and it might change the way you play shorter shots and putts. But again, I’d be surprised if you could tell the difference in a blind test.

I use Srixon Soft Feel off eBay.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you've only been playing for months, then unless you are blessed with a freakish level of talent, the ball you use will make next to no difference. I respectfully suggest that the difference in behaviour you've experienced is more likely to be difference in your strokes than the ball.