Golf ball scuffs

lozzer62

Visit site
Re: golf ball scuffs

I have had my set of clubs since 2009:- Bridgestone J36 and Cleveland wedges

On shots with PW (Bridgestone) and wedges (Cleveland), every time I hit the ball the surface ends up with a mohican, which I have to pick off before I putt with it.

I play either Bridgestone RS 330 Tour or E12 Contact and the damage is the same.

The Cleveland wedges are pretty worn, but were made with zip grooves, but the J36 PW is nothing special.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the ball I should be using to avoid this kind of damage please?

Attachments

• 20230717_101029 (1).jpg
    20230717_101029 (1).jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 7

Jason.H

Visit site
Have you used a groove cleaner/ sharpener? I used one and this happens on the wedges in particular. I use a pro V1X or Bridgestone br x. The Bridgestone does cut up a bit more out of the two.

lozzer62

Visit site
Thanks Jason

Yes, I use a square groove cleaner probably once a year. I will give the Pro V1s a try and see how they react.

Thanks for your input.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Jason

Yes, I use a square groove cleaner probably once a year. I will give the Pro V1s a try and see how they react.

Thanks for your input.

It is definitely not the ball it is what you are doing to the wedge. There is nothing different between the cover on virtually any urethane ball (Prov 1 or Bridgestone Tour Bs)

Square grooves were made non conforming quite some time ago and any club bought before the new rule came in to effect will become non conforming after this year anyway

Jason.H

Visit site
It is definitely not the ball it is what you are doing to the wedge. There is nothing different between the cover on virtually any urethane ball (Prov 1 or Bridgestone Tour Bs)

Square grooves were made non conforming quite some time ago and any club bought before the new rule came in to effect will become non conforming after this year anyway
I do get what the op gets in his picture with my Bridgestone balls too with my wedges. It doesn’t happen with pro V1X though you can see slight scuff marks.
At what level do grooves / clubs get checked for conformity to regulations? Surely top level amateur and pro golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do get what the op gets in his picture with my Bridgestone balls too with my wedges. It doesn’t happen with pro V1X though you can see slight scuff marks.
At what level do grooves / clubs get checked for conformity to regulations? Surely top level amateur and pro golf.
I play both ProV1 and Bridgestone B330RXS and see no difference in the wear. however I do not hit the ball as hard as I used to

The urethane actually being cut off the ball rather than just a scuff (as in the picture) was something I only experience with square grooved clubs. I would expect using a groove sharpening tool makes this even worse (as well as potentially making the club non conforming).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I used to have a set of Hogan Apex Edge CFT and they would regularly do this to my golf balls. I am not sure if it was a mixture of the forged titanium face and the groove design, but boy, could they shave a ball.

lozzer62

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments.

As jim8flog says, these Cleveland wedges (zip grooves) and also my J36s (square grooves) become non-conforming at the end of 2023 for amateur use, so I have arranged a club fitting appointment. It's about time I got shot of the lot after 14 years anyway.

D

Deleted member 35599

I used to quickly melt off the mohican with a lighter. Not so much these days.