Golf Analogies : Best & Worst

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Imagine you’re holding a bird... is probably the worst of the lot and a better one is needed. (Hopefully) Most will agree this is a useless analogy for telling someone how tightly to hold a club. I’d wager not even 1% of people have ever held a bird. Its just not relatable

Imagine squeezing a tube of toothpaste? Nah this doesn’t work either, we’re all wringing the neck of the bloomin thing as it gets emptier. (by the 18th we'd have the club folded in half!)

So what’s your best (& worst) analogies for gripping a golf club (& other analogies in general you've heard used for golf ‘tips’)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find it quite hilarious that the old tucked hankie under the left arm tip is now fashionable.
Modern talk........ it would be a tissue.
I think I still have three hankies in a drawer somewhere.

I used to cringe at the 'keep your head down' one. So many golfers gazing at their belly button.:love:
Keep your head still and stay balanced,

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the best I read was to hold the club and get a mate to pull it out of yours hands, if they can only do it with strong force your are gripping the club too tightly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the best I read for keeping the head down for long enough was ' wait until you see the spot' . I.e imagine a black/white spot on the ground underneath the ball and your head should not move forward until you can see it.

Moving the head when putting do not lift the head on shorts putts, listen for the ball dropping in to the hole instead of looking.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The simplest ones are the best, and I would ascribe the following one as the secret of my success as a long standing 12/13hc.

I imagine myself standing in a barrel, and my arms are the spokes of a cartwheel with my spine the axel. I turn back imagining I am pushing a beech ball away from the target, until I reach the top and am sitting on a high bar stool. Then, I pull a toilet flush chain that is behind me and over my right shoulder to start the downswing, accelerating imagining an increasing frequency of a trombone player making a full slide. I then 'close the door' as I approach the ball, and the club is a towel in my hands with a hammer tied to the end of it. I swish the hammer through the ball as the towel and hammer change to a curling stone which I release down the line towards the target. Once the stone is released, I continue my turn like a pirouetting ballet dancer, and, to close the analogy, steady my finish by grabbing the toilet chain handle again with my right hand, over my left shoulder. And hold this graceful finish admiring the flight of the ball.

Simple but effective.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The simplest ones are the best, and I would ascribe the following one as the secret of my success as a long standing 12/13hc.

I imagine myself standing in a barrel, and my arms are the spokes of a cartwheel with my spine the axel. I turn back imagining I am pushing a beech ball away from the target, until I reach the top and am sitting on a high bar stool. Then, I pull a toilet flush chain that is behind me and over my right shoulder to start the downswing, accelerating imagining an increasing frequency of a trombone player making a full slide. I then 'close the door' as I approach the ball, and the club is a towel in my hands with a hammer tied to the end of it. I swish the hammer through the ball as the towel and hammer change to a curling stone which I release down the line towards the target. Once the stone is released, I continue my turn like a pirouetting ballet dancer, and, to close the analogy, steady my finish by grabbing the toilet chain handle again with my right hand, over my left shoulder. And hold this graceful finish admiring the flight of the ball.

Simple but effective.

Whisky, bourbon or sherry barrel?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Simple but effective.
Good to see someone fully understanding the term 'analogy' and not mistaking it for 'stupid term' or 'silly tips' ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Golf is like a carnaptious lover; as much as we love her she can drive us nuts; and as we can’t change her ways what we can do is accept and deal with what she throws at us, and then through our own actions hopefully come to a sustainable loving and beneficial relationship.

nb…I just made that up…but it’s how I think of golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Simple but effective.
That’s impressive but you missed out your pre shot routine!;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf is like a carnaptious lover; as much as we love her she can drive us nuts; and as we can’t change her ways what we can do is accept and deal with what she throws at us, and then through our own actions hopefully come to a sustainable loving and beneficial relationship.

nb…I just made that up…but it’s how I think of golf.
I think I am in an abusive relationship, the golf gods hate me atm.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To keep my lower half still, I can be a swayer rather than a turner, a pro told me to imagine I was squeezing a beach ball between my knees / thighs when I swing my driver. It works for me ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm :unsure: what colour beach ball?
(oh, and inflated or flat?)
Inflated. It would be a very limited swing if I had a flat beach ball between my knees ?

Colour, depends on my mood. A minimum of 2, sometimes 3 colours at any one time, but I mix them up accordingly. It would be boring to imagine the same coloured ball each time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Inflated. It would be a very limited swing if I had a flat beach ball between my knees ?

Colour, depends on my mood. A minimum of 2, sometimes 3 colours at any one time, but I mix them up accordingly. It would be boring to imagine the same coloured ball each time.

Well you don't have the reputation as one of the tallest on tour, so thought maybe fully inflated might be a bit much?