Golf Analogies : Best & Worst

D

Deleted member 23270

The simplest ones are the best, and I would ascribe the following one as the secret of my success as a long standing 12/13hc.

I imagine myself standing in a barrel, and my arms are the spokes of a cartwheel with my spine the axel. I turn back imagining I am pushing a beech ball away from the target, until I reach the top and am sitting on a high bar stool. Then, I pull a toilet flush chain that is behind me and over my right shoulder to start the downswing, accelerating imagining an increasing frequency of a trombone player making a full slide. I then 'close the door' as I approach the ball, and the club is a towel in my hands with a hammer tied to the end of it. I swish the hammer through the ball as the towel and hammer change to a curling stone which I release down the line towards the target. Once the stone is released, I continue my turn like a pirouetting ballet dancer, and, to close the analogy, steady my finish by grabbing the toilet chain handle again with my right hand, over my left shoulder. And hold this graceful finish admiring the flight of the ball.

Simple but effective.
How many swing thoughts is this classed as? I can only cope with 4 per swing.

sunshine

Visit site
The simplest ones are the best, and I would ascribe the following one as the secret of my success as a long standing 12/13hc.

I imagine myself standing in a barrel, and my arms are the spokes of a cartwheel with my spine the axel. I turn back imagining I am pushing a beech ball away from the target, until I reach the top and am sitting on a high bar stool. Then, I pull a toilet flush chain that is behind me and over my right shoulder to start the downswing, accelerating imagining an increasing frequency of a trombone player making a full slide. I then 'close the door' as I approach the ball, and the club is a towel in my hands with a hammer tied to the end of it. I swish the hammer through the ball as the towel and hammer change to a curling stone which I release down the line towards the target. Once the stone is released, I continue my turn like a pirouetting ballet dancer, and, to close the analogy, steady my finish by grabbing the toilet chain handle again with my right hand, over my left shoulder. And hold this graceful finish admiring the flight of the ball.

Simple but effective.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: spent several minutes giggling reading this. Actually still laughing now while typing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hitting a golf ball is like hitting a nail with a hammer. Once you‘ve mastered what you do for the perfect strike that drives the nail sweetly into the wood, you don’t think about what you do when you swing the hammer, you just swing the hammer and hit the nail on the head. The nail doesn’t know about your swing, it just knows what happens when the head of the hammer hits it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting a golf ball is like hitting a nail with a hammer. Once you mastered what you do for the perfect strike that you want, you don’t think about what you do when you swing the hammer, you just swing the hammer and hit the nail on the head.
I have bent an awful lot of nails though.
Have to straighten them with pliers.;)
Wasn’t fitted for the hammer though that might be it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have bent an awful lot of nails though.
Have to straighten them with pliers.;)
Wasn’t fitted for the hammer though that might be it.
You clearly haven’t sufficiently practiced and perfected your nail striking. My dad was a cabinetmaker, it was very rare for him to mis-strike a nail and they would get driven into the wood very sweetly; very easily, and very quickly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You clearly haven’t sufficiently practiced and perfected your nail striking. My dad was a cabinetmaker, it was very rare for him to mis-strike a nail and they would get driven into the wood very sweetly; very easily, and very quickly.
So cabinetmakers are far superior to pro golfer’s because even the best in the world mishit it sometimes.
Those skills are being lost every day.
I blame IKEA .;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting a golf ball is like hitting a nail with a hammer. Once you‘ve mastered what you do for the perfect strike that drives the nail sweetly into the wood, you don’t think about what you do when you swing the hammer, you just swing the hammer and hit the nail on the head. The nail doesn’t know about your swing, it just knows what happens when the head of the hammer hits it.

I have often wondered why so many shots go wrong. Luckily golf does not have me reaching for the plasters for my thumb.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be MFI for most on here…?

What are the differences between MFI and Ikea

1. In MFI you used to be able to walk straight to the department you wanted and walk straight out again
2. They would not deliver until everything that you ordered was available
3. Items not in stock in a store could be ordered.