Golf after surgey for cancer ?

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi gang, i have just had major surgery for head & neck cancer, & they had to remove my accessory nerve (top of shoulder) this restricts how far i can lift/stretch my right arm.

I have got to have physio, but was wondering has any one else had this surgery and how did you get on/recover after.

At the moment i cant even putt, im just hoping thaT it isent the end of my golfing enjoyment

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Firstly, I hope the surgery was a success.

It's good to see the golf bug doesn't go away, regardless.

I don't have any experience of what you ask but I hope this is just the beginning of your journey back to playing full swings, especially with the driver!

Good luck.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I don't have any experience of what you ask but I hope this is just the beginning of your journey back to playing full swings, especially with the driver!

Good luck.

What he said.
Good luck

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Defo good luck.

A mate of mine fell off a roof, which left him with limited movement. He eventually found that he had a better swing left handed than right handed, as the movement was better. He swapped to the dark side. Ok, his h/cap never got lower than 18, where he used to play off 12, but at least he was playing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry, can't answer the question but if you are as keen as you sound then i'm sure you will crack it - and I sincerely hope you do. Best of luck!

Chris

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Good luck.

What he said.
Good luck

What he said about what he said... Good luck bud.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have seen people hit a decent ball with a very limited backswing, indeed I've also played with guys who didn't even have a right arm! So you shouldn't worry about that. once you're fit and well you should still be able to hit it in the trees like you did before your OP! :)

...all the best for a speedy recovery!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck with it mate.

I've met people who play golf having only one leg or one arm. Dougles Bader played a good game with two "tin legs", blind people play. With committment I think that anyone can play. Whatever the standard, enjoy it.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just to give you something to reflect on.....

My friend is in the army and on his last tour he had the back of his left leg blown off. He's currently on rehab and after a few operations he's been told he won't recover fully and his footie and other running activities are over. He will get better though but walks with a distinct limp and uses a stick.
Anyway he's come to me to get started into golf and decided he'll have to use a buggy and develop a swing he can use with his injury. He's fully committed to making the best he can be despite life threatening conditions in his life, also he's just happy to be here and doesn't take too much too seriously.

So I suppose what I'm saying is despite what life might throw at you, don't give up, keep trying and don't let anything or any inability to do something 'normally' stop you enjoying your golf!!!

All the best and good luck!!!
:) :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good luck and hope everything continues to go well. Have you thought about chatting to a pro and seeing if he can either teach you to play the other way round or modify the swing to fit your mobility. Either way I hope you get to play many more rounds

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
The brother of one of my playing partners has a half back swing and can hit the ball 250 meters anyway... He can't make certain movements with his right leg.

He has incredibly powerful muscles everywhere else.

I hope that might inspie you to keep playing golf and lots of luck with everything.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sincere best wishes with your quest to get back to golf.
Reading your post I have no doubts that you will get there.

Hope you will keep us posted on your progress and eventually join in a forum meet some time. :cool:

Good luck,

Golfmmad.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site

Good luck.

What he said.
Good luck

What he said about what he said... Good luck bud.

What him, him, and him said.

I am sure you will find a swing that is effective and comfortable.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Guy at our club fell off a balcony on holiday and had a bad brain injury which has left him with limited co-ordination and movement. He has used golf as therapy, plays every day and has got his handicap down to 17 now. An achievement which even the doctors wouldn't have thought likely.

Try to keep positive mate, and good luck with the treatment and recovery.