Getting the itch for new clubs - what's the best approach?

sjw

Visit site
For some backstory, I've been playing regularly for about a year, scoring around 100-110.

I want to start off by saying that I know the best way to spend your money in golf is lessons - I have had some and will get some more in the near future, so let's get that sensible thinking out of the way early!

I don't want to spend a fortune, I don't need brand new clubs or the latest and greatest. My current set is a RAM package set from like 2011 and I believe that the technology in clubs (particularly driver) could mean that I am missing out massively in terms of distance and forgiveness.

I don't really want to go for another package set such as the Callaway Edge. I'd prefer to build my bag up bit by bit with some decent quality second hand clubs.

I'm torn, however, because while I'm not good enough to justify brand new sticks, I don't want to hamper myself by buying second hand clubs in the wrong spec etc. So I don't know whether to go for a fitting (is it worth it at my ability level, especially when clubs are built to a tolerance anyway?) or just to launch in with some irons. So a few questions:

• Fitting or not?
  • Irons first? Driver? Wedges?
  • Recommendations of clubs or brands to look at?
And any other things you guys might think of.

I've asked this question numerous times before on other forums, but I've never committed to buying anything and then I forget everything. Ideally I'd like to get a set of irons or a driver or something in mind, and have something to save up for. I am a fan of the Cobra King F9 driver, but as an example of problems I face, I don't know what shaft I need - I don't think I have a fast swing, but I have no idea. A better driver might make me more confident and I might start swinging faster etc

Current bag, as stated, is a RAM package set which consists of driver, 3W, 22deg 4 hybrid, 5i-PW, SW, putter

RichA

Visit site
I've been through what you're describing.
I'm not a lifelong golfer and definitely not an expert. I played a bit when younger, quit, then started again 2 1/2 years ago with a set of 40-year old Ping irons from eBay.
I had lessons and was told by the pro to embrace new iron technology. After a couple of fittings that were a bit awkward and during which I didn't feel like I was comfortable hitting the ball, I walked away knowing my specs and ordered a set of Ping G425 irons.
I got a bit better then regressed.
I'm currently having more success with a set of 20-year old Mizuno MP irons (eBay) that no sensible pro would ever have recommended for me and which probably have the "wrong" lie angle and shafts.
I'm thinking of selling the Pings as they feel clumsy and I get no pleasure from using them (other than smashing the 9-iron out of the rough - it's a wand).
Personally, I don't think it's necessarily about the clubs. It's more about what's between your ears. Don't think for a second that £500-800 spent on "game improvement" irons will automatically improve your game without any other changes in your biomechanics and thought processes.

sjw

Visit site
At the risk of someone snaffling it up before me, there is currently a Ping G425 MAX driver on Golfbidder for £299.

Head Condition:
6 - Fair

Shaft Condition:
7 - Good

Grip Condition:
6 - Fair

Men's right hand, regular flex. Would this be a good one to plump for if I were just going to buy it? How does a golfbidder "6" rating come out, generally? The club will presumably play as normal, just be a bit scratched up?

Springveldt

Visit site
At the risk of someone snaffling it up before me, there is currently a Ping G425 MAX driver on Golfbidder for £299.

Head Condition:
6 - Fair

Shaft Condition:
7 - Good

Grip Condition:
6 - Fair

Men's right hand, regular flex. Would this be a good one to plump for if I were just going to buy it? How does a golfbidder "6" rating come out, generally? The club will presumably play as normal, just be a bit scratched up?
I doubt you would notice a difference between a G400 and G425 imho.

If you are going to that price for a driver, surely this is the best offer around...

https://www.pxg.com/en-gb/clubs/drivers/0811xf-gen4

£209 brand new.

sjw

Visit site
I doubt you would notice a difference between a G400 and G425 imho.

If you are going to that price for a driver, surely this is the best offer around...

https://www.pxg.com/en-gb/clubs/drivers/0811xf-gen4

£209 brand new.
Quite possibly. I've just heard very good things about the G425, but I accept that it might just be because it's new and I've seen the marketing.

Although, even though I feel wise to the marketing tricks that these companies pull, I have to assume that the PXG driver at £209 isn't going to be as good as the £450 Ping driver. Ok, it won't be 60% worse so it might well be good value, but you see what I mean?

Springveldt

Visit site
Quite possibly. I've just heard very good things about the G425, but I accept that it might just be because it's new and I've seen the marketing.

Although, even though I feel wise to the marketing tricks that these companies pull, I have to assume that the PXG driver at £209 isn't going to be as good as the £450 Ping driver. Ok, it won't be 60% worse so it might well be good value, but you see what I mean?
The PXG was £430 last year, they are just selling off their old model as they have released a new one. Don't let price make you think something is better.

https://mygolfspy.com/pxg-0811-gen4-x-xf-and-xt-drivers/

Honestly driver technology has barely changed since 2017, one of the best drivers still is probably the old Taylormade M2 from 2017. As someone that is shooting over 100 I very much doubt you will see any real difference between any of the big brand drivers. I'm still using a Callaway Epic Flash from 2019 and I've got no intentions of changing it.

How times have changed when people don't want to buy PXG because it's too cheap. PXG where the first manufacturer to send iron prices to the moon.

sjw

Visit site
I see, I see. I might pick one up then and give it a go. It's got to be better than my 11 year old RAM beginner driver right? Lol. £209 is a bargain. I know PXG are quite a divisive brand, that's all, and I guess that's down to their phrases such as "cannon-like performance" and their almost military-style, in-your-face branding and website.

Springveldt

Visit site
I see, I see. I might pick one up then and give it a go. It's got to be better than my 11 year old RAM beginner driver right? Lol. £209 is a bargain. I know PXG are quite a divisive brand, that's all, and I guess that's down to their phrases such as "cannon-like performance" and their almost military-style, in-your-face branding and website.
60 day moneyback guarantee as well. If I was in the market for a new driver I'd definitely be trying one out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
60 day moneyback guarantee as well. If I was in the market for a new driver I'd definitely be trying one out.
I have a feeling that @clubchamp98 has just pulled the trigger on one. He is a low h/c golfer though. The 0211 range is more aimed at higher h/c golfers but for drivers it should not matter. The 60 day send back should also offer some pretty big comfort when buying.

For irons, the OP should look at something like Ping G25's or G30's. Good tech still but nearer the £200 mark, or below. The Pings are pretty forgiving and if you don't like them they hold their value well and you wont lose much on them.

Whatever you buy, they should be way better than an old set of RAM's

evemccc

Visit site
If you’re scoring around 100-110 I’m guessing that par around where you play is 70ish - so it’s approx 30-40 over par —- let’s say Double-Bogey per hole…is that fair?

How is that achieved? Are you having trouble getting to the greens, keeping the ball in play and out of penalty areas, or do you regularly 3 putt and worse?

If you’re score is about that because you’re losing balls OOB through slicing and hooking then I would certainly spend much of the money se aside on new bats, on lessons instead — same if you’re having trouble around the greens and on the greens…Sorry if this is not what you want to hear

If however you keep it in play but just feel a general tightening up of dispersion and increased distance is needed, then go for the new stuff!

sjw

Visit site
If you’re scoring around 100-110 I’m guessing that par around where you play is 70ish - so it’s approx 30-40 over par —- let’s say Double-Bogey per hole…is that fair?

How is that achieved? Are you having trouble getting to the greens, keeping the ball in play and out of penalty areas, or do you regularly 3 putt and worse?

If you’re score is about that because you’re losing balls OOB through slicing and hooking then I would certainly spend much of the money se aside on new bats, on lessons instead — same if you’re having trouble around the greens and on the greens…Sorry if this is not what you want to hear

If however you keep it in play but just feel a general tightening up of dispersion and increased distance is needed, then go for the new stuff!
That's totally fair and I will definitely be getting more lessons in the future. The problem I have is my swing comes and goes as I remember to focus on one swing thought and then neglect something else. I'll hit a patch of form when I'm striking them really well, and then I'll hook a couple and then it takes a while to come back. I think my main problem is that I try too hard. I'll hit a few 5 irons say 170-180, then I'll unconsciously start swinging harder to try and repeat that, then my swing will drop off, and I'll keep over-trying.... eventually I'll dial back and build up again to the point where I started.

While lessons are definitely the way forward, my clubs just aren't very good. Even nice strikes feel kinda crap, and the driver provides no feedback whatsoever as to why the ball will randomly drop out of the sky, I couldn't tell you where on the face I was hitting.

I am, of course, really just looking for excuses to buy new stuff

JSims

Visit site
For some backstory, I've been playing regularly for about a year, scoring around 100-110.

I want to start off by saying that I know the best way to spend your money in golf is lessons - I have had some and will get some more in the near future, so let's get that sensible thinking out of the way early!

I don't want to spend a fortune, I don't need brand new clubs or the latest and greatest. My current set is a RAM package set from like 2011 and I believe that the technology in clubs (particularly driver) could mean that I am missing out massively in terms of distance and forgiveness.

I don't really want to go for another package set such as the Callaway Edge. I'd prefer to build my bag up bit by bit with some decent quality second hand clubs.

I'm torn, however, because while I'm not good enough to justify brand new sticks, I don't want to hamper myself by buying second hand clubs in the wrong spec etc. So I don't know whether to go for a fitting (is it worth it at my ability level, especially when clubs are built to a tolerance anyway?) or just to launch in with some irons. So a few questions:

• Fitting or not?
  • Irons first? Driver? Wedges?
  • Recommendations of clubs or brands to look at?
And any other things you guys might think of.

I've asked this question numerous times before on other forums, but I've never committed to buying anything and then I forget everything. Ideally I'd like to get a set of irons or a driver or something in mind, and have something to save up for. I am a fan of the Cobra King F9 driver, but as an example of problems I face, I don't know what shaft I need - I don't think I have a fast swing, but I have no idea. A better driver might make me more confident and I might start swinging faster etc

Current bag, as stated, is a RAM package set which consists of driver, 3W, 22deg 4 hybrid, 5i-PW, SW, putter
If you intend getting more lessons soon, then the Pro is the one to ask - and giving him/her the same amount of info that you have above. They will have a much better idea of your needs, capabilities and specs and any other local facilities such as fitters.
FWIW. The package set route provides a pretty balanced setup, though a more up-to-date Driver could help. The PXG one mentioned above seems good value - at least compared to other new ones - and Cobra target players like you, though I can't stand the sound many of them make/made.
Better still, is more practice - particularly putting and short game, where another wedge, between PW and SW, might help.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve dabbled in a bit of buying and selling of used golf clubs, it’s a good time for the market. Generally you’ll get all or most of your money back if they don’t work out for you. The only thing I’d say is that the brands I’ve found to sell easiest are Taylormade and ping in irons and drivers, plus odyssey putters.

I’d look at Taylormade m2, ping g25, g30, g series in both the irons and drivers, can’t really go too far with them. You’re probably looking at £200-300 for the irons and £120-£200 for the drivers, depending on how new and the condition.

Also assuming you’re not at the extremes, ie, short/tall, fast swing/slow swing, regular shafts will probably be fine for now. In ping, ‘black dot’ is standard loft and lie, different colours mean the loft and lie isn’t standard.

Like I say, if they don’t suit you, sell em and try some more.

In terms of getting fitted, that means buying new, and if you’re an improving golfer, having lessons etc, you’ll probably be looking to upgrade in a year or 2. Just my opinion, I’m sure others will say you need to be fitted.

sjw

Visit site
I’ve dabbled in a bit of buying and selling of used golf clubs, it’s a good time for the market. Generally you’ll get all or most of your money back if they don’t work out for you. The only thing I’d say is that the brands I’ve found to sell easiest are Taylormade and ping in irons and drivers, plus odyssey putters.

I’d look at Taylormade m2, ping g25, g30, g series in both the irons and drivers, can’t really go too far with them. You’re probably looking at £200-300 for the irons and £120-£200 for the drivers, depending on how new and the condition.

Also assuming you’re not at the extremes, ie, short/tall, fast swing/slow swing, regular shafts will probably be fine for now. In ping, ‘black dot’ is standard loft and lie, different colours mean the loft and lie isn’t standard.

Like I say, if they don’t suit you, sell em and try some more.

In terms of getting fitted, that means buying new, and if you’re an improving golfer, having lessons etc, you’ll probably be looking to upgrade in a year or 2. Just my opinion, I’m sure others will say you need to be fitted.

The M2 and Ping G series I hear recommended a lot. I also hear good things about Mizuno clubs, and I've particularly looked at the JPX 919 Hot Metal.

Albo

Visit site
I know you want to buy buy buy I totally get that, but if you are going to have lesson you might be better of waiting till you improve a bit and get clubs that are suited to your new swing/style of play. If you get fitted now you’re getting fitted into clubs that will make the best of your 100/110 scoring swing. If you go see a pro and improve your swing it’s possible that the clubs you get fitted for now won’t work as well for you once that happens. In short, if you must buy now do so 2nd hand and don’t spend too much, then when you get lessons and improve you can get fitted for your better swing and see the benefits. Just my £0.02 worth

sjw

Visit site
That's exactly what I'm thinking re. fitting. I honestly don't see the point when there is so much improvement to be made.

Also, I fear going to a fitter and having them wonder wtf I'm doing

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm thinking re. fitting. I honestly don't see the point when there is so much improvement to be made.

Also, I fear going to a fitter and having them wonder wtf I'm doing

just look at the game improvement irons and get the ones you like the look of