Getting a handicap

Medal Winner
Visit site
tango 101 should that be with out being a member of a club.
you could join a golf society,there should be one near
were you live.To get a proper h/c i thik you will need to
join a club.
3636 billy

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
tango, I would check how 'official' that handicap is. Most clubs when organising Open competitions will only accept a CONGU certified handicap. From my brief lookover the site you mention I don't think they are part of the setup.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tango, what is your motive for aquiring a handicap?

If it's to pit yourself more accurately against 'the course' then a simple mean average should suffice.

If it's to play against friends then if the above doesn't serve , then suggest matchplay with a certain amount of strokes given/taken agreed over a bacon roll beforehand.

If it's to play in medal competition, play at a course requiring a h/c cert. or to join an h/c only club then IMHO youve got to be looking at something with CONGU on it.

TBH i'm not sure, for example, if I would travel all the way to Spain on the strength of an internet cert. but that's just me.

There's an inherent paradox involved in aquiring an h/c without commiting to a club.Many clubs will want to see the colour of your money and the ark of your swing (so to speak) before they'll let you loose on the turf. That's part of being a nomad and one of the draws of annual membership it seems.

As suggested, a society could be a good interim step and can offer the best of both worlds...and it could be a complete hoot too if society members that ive met are anything to go by ;)

Quiet_Whisky

Medal Winner
Visit site
The English Golf Union Associate Membership is not taking on new people. I tried to join and got an e-mail back to say that they thought they had removed all the links for new members. Did not try very hard as I went through their home page! Im on waiting list for local club but they are allowing me to play the course as I used to be a member elsewhere for some years. Just cant play in the comps.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Billyg.... I think I want one just to have some kind of meter reading on my skill level really.

Then it's could be fairly simple.

Take total gross score and deduct par for given tee = handicap.

If you want to do it the way a club would then;

Go through completed card reducing anything over gross bogey(or two over par -same thing) to a gross bogey e.g. score eight on a par 4 ? reduce to 6. Score 7 on a par 5 ? no change.

Tot this adjusted gross figure up then deduct the SSS for the given tee you played off. Resulting figure = handicap.

The former option gives a trueer reflection of your current game whereas the latter cuts you some slack and gives an impression of the potential you can play to if you cut out the freak nightmares.

Same formula for ladies but cut back to 3 over par (double bogey) rather than bogey. Seems a little unfair on the ladies but I would speculate that it takes account of shorter 'red' yardages and higher SSS off the reds.

If you're a lady playing off the yellows or medals? not a clue.

(battens down hatches and waits for tidalwave of 'error' based replies)