Titleist irons

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
When the last model of the T series was released, I rushed to SGGT to get fitted for them. T100S was the pick. This time around, I haven't even demo'd them because I think they look ugly. Shows that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :)
Ugly? They look almost identical address!

ThinBullet

Visit site
Ugly? They look almost identical address!

Not quite. The new T series are designed based on the AP2 714, whereas the older T series were their own design. When I had the T100 (old one) I sat it next to the new T100 and they aren't the same.

Older T100 has a shallower neck to face profile, where the hosel joins the face, and the new one is taller in the neck joint, and has one more groove. The sole is thicker on the new one too. The ledge at the back is more pronounced in the new one, which is the bit that makes it ugly for me.

The new face has less space from the grooves to the toe, whereas the old one had a more rounded look. Made it look like it was open at address, the same as the old 6xx series MBs. The new one sits a bit more square at rest. Not sure if that's because there's been zero talk of the progressive sole from the last one, where the camber was different angles on the old one.

I prefer the face profile of the new one if I'm honest, just not the back of it.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Not quite. The new T series are designed based on the AP2 714, whereas the older T series were their own design. When I had the T100 (old one) I sat it next to the new T100 and they aren't the same.

Older T100 has a shallower neck to face profile, where the hosel joins the face, and the new one is taller in the neck joint, and has one more groove. The sole is thicker on the new one too. The ledge at the back is more pronounced in the new one, which is the bit that makes it ugly for me.

The new face has less space from the grooves to the toe, whereas the old one had a more rounded look. Made it look like it was open at address, the same as the old 6xx series MBs. The new one sits a bit more square at rest. Not sure if that's because there's been zero talk of the progressive sole from the last one, where the camber was different angles on the old one.

I prefer the face profile of the new one if I'm honest, just not the back of it.
I said almost.

What does it matter what the back of the club looks like? You don’t see it at address!

Or are you one of those oddballs like my FiL who decides whether or not he likes a club on how the bottom of it looks when displayed on a shop rack 🤣 (joke btw just in case it’s not obvious to the mods)

ThinBullet

Visit site
Or are you one of those oddballs like my FiL who decides whether or not he likes a club on how the bottom of it looks when displayed on a shop rack 🤣 (joke btw just in case it’s not obvious to the mods)

100% one of those oddballs. I'll take that compliment :)

Got to walk by the clubs in the hall, and smile.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I said almost.

What does it matter what the back of the club looks like? You don’t see it at address!

I remember when I was at primary school, one of the key factors in whether your trainers were cool or not was what the sole looked like. 😆 If it looked cool you could run faster.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I remember when I was at primary school, one of the key factors in whether your trainers were cool or not was what the sole looked like. 😆 If it looked cool you could run faster.
Yeah, but that’s science 😁

• Haha
Reactions: sjw

BiMGuy

Visit site
Went for an iron fitting last night at Titliest. Overall it was an enjoyable experience.

After warming I hit some shots with my current irons to set a benchmark, and hit it pretty well, but was surprised at how bad the dispersion was with the Pings. My my spin was about half of what it needed to be and peak high was too low.

I tried the T100, T150 and T200.
The T200 were dismissed immediately despite me thinking they would be my go to. They were the longest but spin dropped to low and I didn’t like how they say compared to the others.

There wasn’t much between the 100 and 150. The 150 just edged it on distance and dispersion especially when we settled on them bent 2° flat.

Shaft wise, the fitter didn’t tell me what he was giving me other than they were stiffer than my current clubs.

My 2 preferred options were NS pro and AMT Red. The NS Pro were 3 yards longer and the fitters preferred option, bur I preferred the weight and balance and feel of the AMT, and peak height was up a bit too.

The T150 7 iron with my preferred shaft plays 9 yards shorter than my current Pings. But I’d be more than happy to give that up for improvement in accuracy.

So it looks like I’ll be ordering some new irons in the not too distant future.

ThinBullet

Visit site
we settled on them bent 2° flat.

I've got no idea why Titleist have their irons more upright than anyone else in the industry. Almost everyone I know gets theirs flatter at a fitting. Their test guys must be over 6 feet tall.

Sounded like a decent fitting. Hopefully new club day vibes :)