General Play ,stableford format no longer allowed

Rocco

Visit site
One of the aims of WHS was to encourage golfers to submit General Play rounds to get a true reflection of their ability. Why therefore did ClubV1 change (around Oct 21) preventing General Play rounds to be played in stableford format...I play with a group of around a dozen seniors and try to encourage them to enter cards but unfortunately with with only Medal Play being allowed a good number will not enter cards..I believe a high majority of Seniors prefer stableford therefore I am wondering why this option was removed..I have not been able to find any news from England Golf or WHS as to why this changed but it is certainly not achieving their aims of getting more General play cards submitted

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a simple option once they have reached the point where they would score 0 zero points on a hole (based upon 100% of course handicap) get them to record a NR for that hole.

I never understood why there is a medal play/gross score option as handicaps are fundamentally based upon stableford with anything worse than nett double bogey being counted as such.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
One of the aims of WHS was to encourage golfers to submit General Play rounds to get a true reflection of their ability. Why therefore did ClubV1 change (around Oct 21) preventing General Play rounds to be played in stableford format...I play with a group of around a dozen seniors and try to encourage them to enter cards but unfortunately with with only Medal Play being allowed a good number will not enter cards..I believe a high majority of Seniors prefer stableford therefore I am wondering why this option was removed..I have not been able to find any news from England Golf or WHS as to why this changed but it is certainly not achieving their aims of getting more General play cards submitted

You just enter the score for a pick-up hole as zero, then you'll get a couple of options for score, one is something like "hole played but no score made", choose this and then carry on with the rest of the card.
The handicap score will then be correctly calculated and any HI adjustments necessary will be made.

wjemather

Visit site
Sounds like simple education is required. The format you are playing is stroke play, with net double bogey limits for handicapping, and scores are entered in exactly the same way regardless of scoring method (regular stroke play, Stableford or par/bogey) - i.e. on the PSI/hdid, enter "zero" for holes started but not completed (the system will prompt to confirm played/not played).

As such, I expect Club Systems removed the Stableford option because it was superfluous (I'm sure I read this somewhere, but can't seem to find it in the release notes).

Last edited:

Rocco

Visit site
Thank you for your advice and yes wjemather simple education might well be the answer.....it's when things change that people get confused ,especially us Seniors .The original concept of medal play was to continue until the ball was holed then along comes nett double bogey limits !! The introduction of WHS was far from smooth in players understanding likewise the idea of submitting General play cards on a regular basis..Having got there to then be advised that the format would be medal play was unfortunately just a step too far for some and there might be no way back despite any attempts at education..

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you for your advice and yes wjemather simple education might well be the answer.....it's when things change that people get confused ,especially us Seniors .The original concept of medal play was to continue until the ball was holed then along comes nett double bogey limits !! The introduction of WHS was far from smooth in players understanding likewise the idea of submitting General play cards on a regular basis..Having got there to then be advised that the format would be medal play was unfortunately just a step too far for some and there might be no way back despite any attempts at education..

Are you confusing Medal Comps with Stroke Play? You play Stroke Play and the format can either be medal or stablefor or have I read this all wrong.

Rocco

Visit site
Are you confusing Medal Comps with Stroke Play? You play Stroke Play and the format can either be medal or stablefor or have I read this all wrong.

Not confused ,medal play was always known as strokeplay ,maybe I am just living in the past,time to move on ;-)