Gary Player

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a huge amount of love being shown for the antics and self-promotion of Player, but in truth I find him not that different from Lee Trevino in the look-at-me stakes. That said I can put up with a bit more of Trevino’s nonsense as I think he knows his behaviour is just that...nonsense...and maybe Player just rather lacks self-awareness and takes himself a teensie bit too seriously.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Player was a member of one of my old clubs, I first met him when I was an 11 year old, prior to his 1959 Open win.

He was talking to the club captain who introduced me to him not knowing that I had spoken to Gary earlier.
His reply 'I've known Doon since he was a young boy', rather surprised the captain.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
All said and done my club is rather proud of our connections with Player as he was a close friend of Bobby Locke when Player first joined the European tour - Locke being a regular at my place with Player an occasional visitor. In fact Locke, Player and Alliss played an exhibition 3 ball back in the 1950s celebrating something or other (that I should know but can’t recall). Aside - to this day the perfect tee shot on our 9th is to a small area referred to as ‘Locke’s Ledge’ as that is where Locke always put his tee shot.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All said and done my club is rather proud of our connections with Player as he was a close friend of Bobby Locke when Player first joined the European tour - Locke being a regular at my place with Player an occasional visitor. In fact Locke, Player and Alliss played an exhibition 3 ball back in the 1950s celebrating something or other (that I should know but can’t recall). Aside - to this day the perfect tee shot on our 9th is to a small area referred to as ‘Locke’s Ledge’ as that is where Locke always put his tee shot.
Do you remember Sewsunker Segolum.....totally self taught ex caddie with a cawrie pawed grip and huge overswing. Great player despite that.
Player sponsored him in the UK for a couple of summers in the 1950's.

Sewsunker Sewgolum - Wikipedia

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’m guessing there is no set criteria for any future honorary starters, just to have had a big impact on the game.

In that vein, will Tiger be one in the future?

I could be wrong but I thought the criteria was that the three oldest champions were invited as honorary starters.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as future Masters starters is concerned, I think Phil Mick and Tiger are nailed on, and Watson and Crenshaw have got to be in with a shout. Not sure they see Faldo, Langer and Olazabal as such key parts of history. If Seve was still alive, though ....

D

Deleted member 15344

Faldo has won the Masters 3 times

You would expect he wouldn’t be part of the honorary starter despite the number of Green Jackets because it’s Faldo

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As far as future Masters starters is concerned, I think Phil Mick and Tiger are nailed on, and Watson and Crenshaw have got to be in with a shout. Not sure they see Faldo, Langer and Olazabal as such key parts of history. If Seve was still alive, though ....
So just the American ones then?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would expect multiple champions to come ahead of single champions and of those, who left a greater mark for whatever reason to get a little nudge up as well. How you define that is subjective but surely number of wins has to come into it.

I suspect, no basis for this, that after Nicklaus and Player have moved on, that they may rotate a little more as until Tiger and Phil reach that stage no one has dominated in the same way as the most recent group. This might mean that you could have Crenshaw, Woosnam and Lyle one year, Faldo, Mize and Langer another. I'm sure the likes of Langer will not want to do the role until he can no longer play in the tournament itself but I think the principle is sound.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
You’d think Watson and Crenshaw are nailed on, supposedly Crenshaw runs the Tuesday dinner. Be lovely to see Sandy trot out there in his braces, ill-fitting waterproof and 1-iron but don’t suppose it will happen

D

Deleted member 15344

Do people still think the Masters isn't a prejudiced place?

An old article https://medium.com/@michaelmargulis...-racism-classism-sexism-and-golf-23cda988f391) but while things are changing.....not very willingly....

Golfers just keep ignoring things because it's a "nice" golf course.

First thing is the article is 6 years old and that debate has been had

Yes Augusta just like the whole of the US has had in the past huge racism issues and in many areas it still happens as can be seen over the last 12 months

Golf as a sport and indeed Augusta has done a lot of work to try and break down the barriers and people in many areas aren’t denied entry into golf because of the colour of their skin.

Things don’t change overnight and it will take a long time for black men and indeed ladies to move to play golf instead of the traditional big sports in the US - American Football , Baseball and Basketball

D

Deleted member 21445

I was actually born in South Africa in 1971.

My Mum And Dad emigrated out there from 1966-1972.

My golf mad father came across Mr Player on multiple occasions back then and had nothing but respect for the man and the way he treated everyone including the Black community at a time when that was actually frowned upon.

His son however has previous and seems to be a total idiot and deserves his punishment.

Mandofred

Visit site
First thing is the article is 6 years old and that debate has been had

Yes Augusta just like the whole of the US has had in the past huge racism issues and in many areas it still happens as can be seen over the last 12 months

Golf as a sport and indeed Augusta has done a lot of work to try and break down the barriers and people in many areas aren’t denied entry into golf because of the colour of their skin.

Things don’t change overnight and it will take a long time for black men and indeed ladies to move to play golf instead of the traditional big sports in the US - American Football , Baseball and Basketball
Seems like I mentioned the article wasn't recent....which is why I used the word old. But thanks for repeating it.....
Yep, racism is still an issue in the US.....not sure why you just point out the US problems and don't include the UK in it, by hey ho.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
QUOTE="banjofred, post: 2339093, member: 27943"]Seems like I mentioned the article wasn't recent....which is why I used the word old. But thanks for repeating it.....
Yep, racism is still an issue in the US.....not sure why you just point out the US problems and don't include the UK in it, by hey ho.[/QUOTE]

Suits agenda