Gary Player - sinner or saint?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lol. Not gonna do anything about it. (Of course), but that's the first time I've seen it, and if any one of us did that in any comp, or playing with our mates, I'd expect a penalty !

Player won by 4 shots anyway so it wouldnt have made any difference.

Still, i'm sure that wont stop some labelling him with whatever they feel appropriate.

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tongo - I like the guy, even though he has the biggest dose ever of "small man syndrome" ever!
domyou honestly think his practice stroke on 18 in the video is legal?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tongo - I like the guy, even though he has the biggest dose ever of "small man syndrome" ever!
domyou honestly think his practice stroke on 18 in the video is legal?

I dunno, i'm not one of golf's rules pedants.

My point is that that video has been floating around for 40 years. Obviously no action was taken at the time despite plenty watching but now social media has got hold of it some may start labelling and accusing ad infinitum. Value of hindsight and all that.

I still remember well how at least one person on here vilified Zach Johnson for appearing to touch the line of his putt on the 72nd green at St Andrews in the summer. Sometimes people make genuine mistakes but too many prefer to assume the worst and accuse.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I dunno, i'm not one of golf's rules pedants.

My point is that that video has been floating around for 40 years. Obviously no action was taken at the time despite plenty watching but now social media has got hold of it some may start labelling and accusing ad infinitum. Value of hindsight and all that.

I still remember well how at least one person on here vilified Zach Johnson for appearing to touch the line of his putt on the 72nd green at St Andrews in the summer. Sometimes people make genuine mistakes but too many prefer to assume the worst and accuse.

There was a whole lot of ho-ha about what happened on the 71st hole. There was a stink back then, and it still gets written about.