Gary Player

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Well his Son certainly did himself no favours at The Masters' opening tee shot ceremony

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've read his autobiography recently. He adamant that he didn't cheat on that occasion. In fact, he didn't need to, it was a skins game & the hole was, as expected, halved & the skins carried over to the next hole (where he won them!)

And, unsurprisingly, he has no time for Tom Watson.

That was not the only contentious incident.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Great golfer, and even greater at self promotion.
There is something about him that just doesn't quiet sit right with me.

I'm sure there will be a giant PXG logo on his coffin.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Do you know what it is that doesn’t quite sit right?

Not really. There is just something about him that irks me.

It's probably just that I'm not so keen on the constant self promotion. Compare him to Jack on the 1st Tee at the Masters and he is covered in logos. Its the same with interviews. Everything always gets directed back to something about him or what hes done.

I'm sure he probably had something to do with his brothers actions at the Masters too.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is Mark the guy that ripped Stenson off of 5 million?

No, McCormack (or maybe McCormick) started IMG the first big sports agency and fashioned Nickalus, Palmer and Player as The Big Three, sort of like Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. You can decide for yourself which golfer is most like which Rat Packer.

The guy who ripped off Stenson was a guy called Allen Stanford.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ethan said:
He has attracted some negative image within the game for his desire to win, a la Patrick Reed.[/QUOTE
Cheating?
He seems to be well respected by the GOAT or do you think that’s a front.

Assuming your GOAT is Jack then we go back to his endorsement of Trump as to whether he's a good judge of character - another player who has quite a reputation on the golf course :D

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
On a scale of 1-10 how crushed were you at that moment? Did you get another go and if so was it the obligatory smashed up the middle tee shot that follows something like that?[/Q
On a scale of 1-10 how crushed were you at that moment? Did you get another go and if so was it the obligatory smashed up the middle tee shot that follows something like that?

Glad you asked this, it was a Scramble and we had three balls in the fairway. I was egged on to ‘give it a go’ so hit it between my legs. On the previous hole we had a little embrace (he basically winded me) after I hit a long (6) iron to four feet and he holed it. He was still a brilliant player

D

Deleted member 15344

That's what I took from your comment that he seemed a bit of a fraud being there.

9 Majors seemed like he wasn't a fraud being there to me. But just my view

It was nothing to do with his ability as a golfer more to do with how he acts as opposed to the other two - he doesn’t appear to have the word humility in his vocabulary and more about self promotion and product promotion hence why always appears covered in labels etc

That’s why I believe he seems a fraud next to the likes of Nicklaus and Palmer

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m guessing there is no set criteria for any future honorary starters, just to have had a big impact on the game.

In that vein, will Tiger be one in the future?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I’m guessing there is no set criteria for any future honorary starters, just to have had a big impact on the game.

Why not? 5 time Masters champion, they would want him. If he is there for the champions dinner it is no hardship, and the patrons will still love him.
It might be a while yet though.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Interesting thought. I’m guessing all 3 will be replaced in the next 10 years for one reason or another, maybe they should bring in some of the greats from the era following the current chaps, 80s and 90s. Will be great to see Faldo, Langer and Olazabal starting the tournament every year! ?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting thought. I’m guessing all 3 will be replaced in the next 10 years for one reason or another, maybe they should bring in some of the greats from the era following the current chaps, 80s and 90s. Will be great to see Faldo, Langer and Olazabal starting the tournament every year! ?

... and Lyle, and Woosnam... the Americans won't like that!

Tom Watson and Ben Crenshaw won a couple each so they'll probably get the gig when it's time for some youngsters to take over from Nicklaus and Player!