From mid handicap to scratch.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to be shooting 3/4 birdies a round every round, that's what I see when I look at the low guys round our track, if you can't manage that, be happy to get as low as you can but reading your posts, that's a bit away yet.
Whilst it doesn’t hurt to make birdies. You don’t have to make birdies unless your dropping shots. 18 par’s don’t hurt your handicap, they are just frustrating.

User20204

Visit site
Whilst it doesn’t hurt to make birdies. You don’t have to make birdies unless your dropping shots. 18 par’s don’t hurt your handicap, they are just frustrating.

Absolutely, however, there aren't many who can go shoot 18 pars in a round. I regularly check the low guys at our place on HDID with their individual hole scores, they pretty much all make at least three a round.....every round. I can make 2/3/4 sometimes 5 a round but for me, it's offsetting the bogies.

Eagle and a bird in yesterdays 9holes... but a double and quad bogey also.... arghhh

Yep and that's why you need to be doing that in every round, the really good guys come back from doubles, no so sure many scratch players come back from quads mind.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
thats an eye opener indeed.. but i do remember how tough it was once i got below 18.. suddenly you dont have a shot every hole.. so i can only imagine how tough mentally it will be say for example you bogey the first hole.. a bad kick or a cold putt ( my course 1st is a 250yrd par 3 ) suddenly you are already one over and trying to get it back..... I think the mental side of the game is going to be the real challenge... Last night i was playing well... level after 6 and fluffed the easy par 3 7th... mentally lost it and went double quad to be plus 7 after 9.... that has to stop.. the fact that i was tired is no excuse... Played 36 holes over weekend and 9 monday night... someone did warn me that playing on the course too much is bad... time in gym and at the range doing specific disciplines can be even more effective. thanks for your time and thoughts.
Yes, the mental side of things is obviously going to be a huge challenge.

Accepting a 4 on your 1st shouldn't be any issue at all for a scr, or better, golfer - they will mentally be targeting 3 or more other holes for birdies at that point anyway.

darriusdax

Visit site
big golf lesson tonight... i asked american golf for some heavier stiff clubs because i cant hit my ap95 flexible shafts..., i got 716 ap2 4 iron... mine is an ap2 714 with light regular flex shaft.... I tried a few other clubs first then grabbed the new stiff 716... started drilling balls straight.... aha i thought... it was the shaft all along... stupid bugger... it was my original 714 that i had picked up.... moral of the story is dont blame the gear i guess....

User20204

Visit site
As an example of the likes of me and them, today in a seniors match I was 3 under thru 4 on the back 9, got blocked out with my drive on the next, lost the hole to par, par 5 at that, next hole I drove OB, that is just not the consistency of a low player, these guys just don't do that.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
big golf lesson tonight... i asked american golf for some heavier stiff clubs because i cant hit my ap95 flexible shafts..., i got 716 ap2 4 iron... mine is an ap2 714 with light regular flex shaft.... I tried a few other clubs first then grabbed the new stiff 716... started drilling balls straight.... aha i thought... it was the shaft all along... stupid bugger... it was my original 714 that i had picked up.... moral of the story is dont blame the gear i guess....

or go and have a proper fitting with a proper club fitter/builder then you will have no doubt you have the best tools for the job

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...i am saving a grand to get fitted at Scott Gourlay... europe renowned fitters. thanks for your support
Excellent choice!

Getting fitted properly is expensive, but, in your case, likely to be hugely beneficial - essential even, given the apparent misfit of your current set.

Good Luck. There's many that have tried, but know of none that have succeeded. Low single figures is certainable though.

darriusdax

Visit site
overswing.... how the hell do i stop this.. didnt have mobile phones and youtube when i played at gleneagles 15 yrs ago.... bloody useful

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20190710-231528.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190710-231528.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 33

darriusdax

Visit site
Got my first official handicap today from Merchants golf course edinburgh... 14.. good starting point... somebody said if my project is serious then i have to be off 3 by the end of this year.... cant see it happening ... maybe 8 or 9... would still be a great achievement.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shooting a level par score in a comp within two years would be a much more achievable yet still commendable objective.

The actual process of getting to scratch will take alot of rounds. It's highly unlikely you would be able to get that many in even if you started hammering in scores right now.

darriusdax

Visit site
Shooting a level par score in a comp within two years would be a much more achievable yet still commendable objective.

The actual process of getting to scratch will take alot of rounds. It's highly unlikely you would be able to get that many in even if you started hammering in scores right now.
You are right. That has become clear to me. A level par round would be an amazing achievement in and of itself. I already know that whoever said that after 3 yrs playing golf you are at your peak..... spoke bullshit.