From 3 weeks of golf in Scotland

KitaScot

Medal Winner
Visit site
I took time to "smell the reeds" inbetween bouts with the wind and rain and when the sun peeked through.

The celeb photog at the Alfred Dunhill Championship kindly shot me on The Bridge....

hqJUuf.jpg

Prestwick St Nicholas #2 my first par in Scotland: chipped from the white wire rings at the right to the back of the green and let the ball come back to the hole for a 3' putt.

eeyw6T.jpg

Machrihanish Dunes...smiling because I just made a par! and then made the 2nd par in row....
...before losing count on the back nine (a sad game for such a beautiful course that deserved far better from me....oh well).

XfQrfu.jpg

2 from Boat of Garten....the 2nd hitting into the sun I had no idea where the drive landed...
...but just walked down prepared to drop/replace a lost ball when I found it down in the fairway!

czOkL3.jpg

2 groups before me had hit all their drives to my feet walking up the fairway to the right....they stayed after the round to talk to me, likely to apologize, (and to see just who was crazy enough to carry his clubs up and down these fairways), and we enjoyed a nice talk likening BoG to those THEY AND I PLAYED IN UPSTATE NEW YORK, which is why I had come to play here.

qkYgBu.jpg

Brora where when you go, REMEMBER TO KEEP DRIVES LEFT OF CENTER! It was about the most pleasant day in terms of weather, and I made enough pars (and a birdie) for my best score in Scotland, an 86...

17dcu6.jpg

7iCR8n.jpg

qMGjvw.jpg

yKrFzn.jpg

Two of Tain....where the wind and rain was on and off and so strong that I barely remember the course....
...but it was a great feat, finishing in the late PM sunset and full rainbow with a few pars and a birdie (a low screaming 3 wood sliced around a dogleg to the back of the green, 2 feet from the hole), and a score in the mid-90s where most of my Scotland rounds ended up.

V9tgEL.jpg

GFt0eV.jpg

Royal Dornoch where I was paired with a Londoner who kept saying nice things about my short game (bunker escapes and lag putts) despite not making a par.
Though the only round I failed to do so it was still a lovely day and I was happy with a 101 score.
3gzIjV.jpg

smYXhM.jpg

Gullane #3 being followed by a nice lady and her well-behaved dogs. Had my best 9 of the trip, a 40 that began with a double bogie but followed up with a sand-save par 3 to keep my optimism and game on track making some nice par approaches and a few chips for 1-putt pars.
....but the 2nd nine played on and round the mountain top was just crazy in the wind that blew my drive on that down-hill par 3 from 20 yds left of the fairway all the way across to the right rough.
I did recover though with a nice chip that trundled down and around the bunker at the right and onto the green for a 2-putt bogie....typical of the 56 back nine...

eA1Czq.jpg

LNo4Gt.jpg

All-in-all it was a very memorable trip. In better shape, playing these courses more than once, I would have scores similar to those here in Florida, primarily because I don't fear bunkers!
I'm indebted to all the advice and hand-holding I got along the way from folks here and on golfWRX as well as my hosts who kept me well-fed....though I did lose 12 pounds from all that walking.

It would be nice to return for another month, but for now I have a lot of great memories!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it, and your comment about "who was crazy enough to carry his clubs" did make me laugh as when ever i play there with members I'm usually the only one not carrying. carrying up here and in Scotland in general is the norm

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
what is the craic with the cows and sheep? are they in play?

nice photos. looked like a lot of fun.

Thats Brora, the land belongs to the Dunrobin Estate and there are crofting rights to a couple of farmers. You get relief from Sheep/cow Dung. Sheep are easily moved on the cows if there's a few of them can be a pain.

KitaScot

Medal Winner
Visit site
No animals were hurt in the course of my golf game in Scotland. I did however hit the electrified wire that ring the greens one time but the ball still kicked on to the green.

...and yes I had a lot of fun on and off the course...my short game was reliable (2 of 4 sand saves around the greens and several off-green links putts and chip-ins for pars and birdie) even as my driving deserted me.

Driving in Scotland (on the course and on the roundabouts) was a pain....literally, as I had a slight pinched nerve/muscle in my neck (that twinged when looking right for cars entering the roundabout ahead of me) that is only now 2 weeks later easing up.

My AirBnB host in Doune swears that the pinch is a result of my allday computer job rather than a bad golf swing, and so my end of year resolution is to raise my chair (lowering my wrist) at work and to take some golf lessons (my 1st ever) for better posture at address.

I drove over 2500 miles in 23 days in Scotland still missed a lot I had plans to see, in part because 23 days weren't enough, but also because my AirBnB hosts took me into their lives and THAT was more important than sightseeing. Still, I have a thousand or so photos to choose from, edit and post of my trip.

Yes, I met a lot very nice Scots (and Americans too! a lot going to college there) along the way and have brought back a lot of great memories (and a nice tartan golf hat, bottles of Glenlivet and Old Pultney, and a Gore-tex rain suit found in the Dornoch Charity shop) as well as the photos.

Thank you Scotland!

I'll post links to my album of pix for you, but for now here's my fun "joke" pic from St. Andrews.

L5NmbO.jpg

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you look at the tower and use your imagination it looks a bit like Gumby, at least that's what I assumed the connection was.

(I just threw Morph in for a bit of cross Atlantic culture exchange)

Ah i see....

not lol.

thanks for explaining, it baffled me what was supposed to be jokey about it